News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help setting camber

Started by tucknroll, October 21, 2017, 03:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucknroll

I need some help. I put new upper control arm bushings in and now trying to get the camber just right. The lift it's on isn't perfectly level so I don't think a gauge will help. Should I just center the bolts and hope for the best? Thanks

Highbanked Hauler

Loosen the control arm bolts so you can just turn them and with the car on the ground get a two foot carpenters level and you can get a camber measurement reading with the level vertically on the tire. and with a piece of heavy string you can set your toe. Thats the way I do mine. :Twocents: If you can ,put in a set of fast ratio steering arms before you get it aligned. It will make the most obvious improvement  to the front end steering, at least it did on mine. :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

tucknroll

Scaregrabber

Start with your front eccentrics pointing outwards and your rear eccentrics pointing inward.

tucknroll

Kern Dog

Quote from: Scaregrabber on October 21, 2017, 10:56:15 PM
Start with your front eccentrics pointing outwards and your rear eccentrics pointing inward.
Yeah...This is always how I set the alignment after having stuff apart. In theory, you'd want to use the front cam to establish the caster and camber while leaving the rear cam set fully inboard.

sccachallenger

Back in the '80s (when people were still using our cars daily) I spoke with a tech who did a lot of front end work.
At his shop they always marked where the eccentrics are BEFORE taking everything apart.
He claimed 99% of the time the car was in spec after replacing parts and lining up the eccentrics.
If you can tell where they were, start there.
Now I realize this won't help if you're making other modifications, and probably won't be optimum for best handling, but for a stock-type rebuild it will allow you to drive the car without damaging the tires if that's what your concern is.