News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN Help on potential purchase

Started by rydog1130, October 21, 2017, 03:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rydog1130

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums but semi new to the world of mopars. First off just want to say thank you for letting me join this community of wealth and knowledge. A little background on myself I'm 37 and dabbled a little in cars. My first restoration or attempt at one was when I was 17 and it involved a 71 Dodge Charger w/ a 318. I drove that car up until I went to college and had to sell it to help pay for tuition. Anyways, I recently restored a 68 bronco and I feel my skills have improved to where I want to tackle another project. I've always loved the body style of the 68-70 chargers and the opportunity has come up for me to purchase a 68 that I feel is a good candidate for restoring. The problem I'm running into is the the title VIN doesn't match, the dash vin tag is for a 69. The vehicle does have matching vin#'s stamped on the deck lid drain Channel and the radiator support. I've done some research and found that the numbers on the body are not the complete vin. My question is how do I find out or figure what the VIN is?

The engine is gone so I'm not sure what letter designation the motor code would be and I'm sure it's not an R/T but who knows. Based on the stamp this is the variation I have come up with. Is there a company or someone that can help me figure this out? I just need to get the correct VIN so I can find out it's not stolen and get a title for it here in Michigan. Thanks!!!

XP29F8G184551 ?
XS29L8G184551 ?

F.      G,H. J     K,L
2009 Challenger R/T

John_Kunkel

Welcome to the board.

If the dash VIN matches the stampings on the core support and trunk rail it's not a '68, '69 was the first year that they all match so the car is a '69.

The body stampings (VON, Vehicle Order Number) on the '68 were not directly related to the VIN but were related to the fender tag. Run away from this FrankenCharger.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

VegasCharger

What John said.  :iagree:

Title VIN not matching the dash VIN is the most crucial aspect. Everything else after that is 2nd nature IMO.

Also welcome aboard.  :cheers:

rydog1130

The title VIN does not match the the stampings. The dash that he has for it is obviously out of a 69. The fender tag is gone. The stamping reads G8X184551 and the title reads XP29F8B392371 I'm pretty sure this isn't the correct title for this vehicle as the B in the title vin designates it as Hamtramck plant and G on the body stamp or VON designates it as St. Louis does this seam to be an accurate assumption? Is there any way to contact Chrysler or other company and get the correct VIN code based off of the VON ?  From what I gathered on VON it's basically a partial VIN

In my case X?29?8G184551 does that seem right?
2009 Challenger R/T

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: rydog1130 on October 21, 2017, 04:30:23 PM
The title VIN does not match the the stampings. The dash that he has for it is obviously out of a 69. The fender tag is gone. The stamping reads G8X184551 and the title reads XP29F8B392371 I'm pretty sure this isn't the correct title for this vehicle as the B in the title vin designates it as Hamtramck plant and G on the body stamp or VON designates it as St. Louis does this seam to be an accurate assumption? Is there any way to contact Chrysler or other company and get the correct VIN code based off of the VON ?  From what I gathered on VON it's basically a partial VIN

In my case X?29?8G184551 does that seem right?

The SON (Sales Order Number) on '68 bodies is not a partial VIN.

Have the seller get a state issued VIN for the car BEFORE you buy it or better yet, just find a car with no legal issues.

rydog1130

He does have a title so is there a chance that this could be the correct title, just hard to say yes because there's nothing to compare it against?
2009 Challenger R/T

rydog1130

There's should be a sticker in the door jam too right? It's been primered and I've glanced over it when I first saw this car about a year ago and now that I'm considering buying it I'll bring some acetone w/ me and if I can see the outline of a tag or sticker I'll try to wipe off the primer and see what it says. There should be a vin on there along with other info right?
2009 Challenger R/T

sdweatherman

Just plain stay away from that car. You will have nothing but problems in the future if you try and make it "right". And without the original documentation for the 68 car - you won't ever be able to make it right. It is a bad investment, unless you plan to completely part the car out. Pass on this one and find one that has no issues. Scott.
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GY8/318/Auto
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GB7/318/Auto factory Sunroof
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus EV2/400/Auto factory Sunroof

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: rydog1130 on October 21, 2017, 06:25:26 PM
There's should be a sticker in the door jam too right? It's been primered and I've glanced over it when I first saw this car about a year ago and now that I'm considering buying it I'll bring some acetone w/ me and if I can see the outline of a tag or sticker I'll try to wipe off the primer and see what it says. There should be a vin on there along with other info right?

No door sticker until 1970 model year with the exception of the 1969 Daytonas.

rydog1130

Ok good to know I appreciate all the info you guys are giving me!! I have one more question to ask then I'll be good! He found the 68 dash w/ vin tag that matches the title. Is this still something you guys would steer clear of or am I ok now?
2009 Challenger R/T

6bblgt

so, he found another dash with a '68 VIN tag & a title?  Is it a St. Louis '68 Charger VIN?

rydog1130

B Hamtramck. How far off are these VON/SON #'s when compared to the actual VIN? I've read conflicting things on these numbers where some say these numbers don't mean anything in regard to the VIN while another post says:

The 2 stampings on the body should be:

1'st digit - Assembly plant (G in this case )
2nd digit - Model year  (8)
3rd digit - 1'st vin digit (X)
Last six digits - Shipping Order Number

It should look like x8X xxxxxx

The small x's are to be filled in

On the bottom line of your Fender Tag the last 6 digits will be the Shipping Order Number aka VON

I think I'm getting it now but just want to make sure...

the body on the car is solid and I would be looking at replacing most of the interior, front fenders,motor,trans, glass and paint. he has the head light and grill assembly along with the taillight assembly  and who know what ever parts and is only asking 2k for the car. my plans are to do a decent restore on it, drive it and never sell it... the state of Michigan doesn't do vehicle inspections so for me so I feel like I'd be ok. now, if I were to sell it then I might have issues but that's not the game plan. I've always wanted one of these and I feel like I can't pass it up on the price. let me know what you think! I'll try to post up pictures of it next week
2009 Challenger R/T

lukedukem

If the car is a 69 then can't he just ask for a bill of sale and tell him to keep the title and dash to the 68. I would also ask for money off now that you know it has no title. I bought a 70 dart that the guy had the title but was for a different car. I still bought it with bill of sale and I got him down on price. Texas gave me a bonded title and in two more years it will become a regular title. Not sure what your state laws are. Good luck

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

rydog1130

Quote from: lukedukem on October 21, 2017, 08:43:48 PM
If the car is a 69 then can't he just ask for a bill of sale and tell him to keep the title and dash to the 68. I would also ask for money off now that you know it has no title. I bought a 70 dart that the guy had the title but was for a different car. I still bought it with bill of sale and I got him down on price. Texas gave me a bonded title and in two more years it will become a regular title. Not sure what your state laws are. Good luck

Luke

Car is a 68
2009 Challenger R/T

Dino

Go to the secretary of state's office with the seller and the 68 vin. Have them run it and if it checks out, buy it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

6bblgt

the reason the '68 Charger body is cheap is because he doesn't have legal VIN or title to it

it also sounds like he has other '68-'69 paperwork and tags from cars that have been parted out & no longer exist

putting the two together, whether or not MI will catch the issue today - doesn't sound like a good plan even if you don't plan on selling

after thousands of dollars spent, you or someone you know will eventually be trying to sell it

68X426

rydog - can you verify the VIN in question?  You have confused the hell out of me.  Here's why.

8G184551 cannot exist as a Charger.  It would have to be a B, not G, factory Charger.

8G184551 would have a build date of December 22, 1967.  The first Charger to come out of St. Louis (G code) is 8G197754, build date of March 4, 1968.

8G184551 would have to be built before the St. Louis factory had been re-tooled and re-stock during February 1968, for the start of Charger production in March.  So it must be a B on your VIN.  Or else you have a '69 (9B or 9G).

Oh, like John said at the start, stay away from this bad boy.  :badidea:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

rydog1130

Quote from: Dino on October 21, 2017, 11:06:39 PM
Go to the secretary of state's office with the seller and the 68 vin. Have them run it and if it checks out, buy it.

I like this option lol
2009 Challenger R/T

rydog1130

Quote from: 68X426 on October 22, 2017, 01:29:23 AM

rydog - can you verify the VIN in question?  You have confused the hell out of me.  Here's why.

8G184551 cannot exist as a Charger.  It would have to be a B, not G, factory Charger.

8G184551 would have a build date of December 22, 1967.  The first Charger to come out of St. Louis (G code) is 8G197754, build date of March 4, 1968.

8G184551 would have to be built before the St. Louis factory had been re-tooled and re-stock during February 1968, for the start of Charger production in March.  So it must be a B on your VIN.  Or else you have a '69 (9B or 9G).

Oh, like John said at the start, stay away from this bad boy.  :badidea:

8G184551 Is the VON# does that help?

2009 Challenger R/T

rydog1130

Im having trouble posting pictures so heres a link to the bronco forum I'm a member of w/ pictures

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3020902#post3020902
2009 Challenger R/T

Troy

Sounds like a legal headache - but, in my opinion, you're overthinking it.

Everybody wants a perfect car but, in most states, the DMV doesn't usually care so much about any other stamps as long as the VIN matches the title. If the car is clearly a 68 (should be relatively easy to tell if the taillight panel or quarters have been altered or changed out) then, obviously the 69 dash/VIN are incorrect. If you had a 68 title with matching 68 dash/VIN it would be better - even if it's not the original VIN. Frankly, if you had a 69 title to match the VIN they'd likely approve too (but other people who have any knowledge will ask lots of questions). So, you can technically be legal while being totally incorrect. It will make a difference if you ever sell the car. Yes, you could take the car "as is" to the authorities and get a state issued VIN but they'll likely see it as a 69. And it can be tough to sell a car later with that mess. If you just get a Bill of Sale for the VIN you have, you still have a 69 (totally wrong) and take the chance that the car the dash came from still exists somewhere. As much as I hate this advice, I'd put the 68 dash that matches the title in it and be on my way. As long as the car is worthwhile. If it's a giant pile it's not worth messing with.

Of course, with all those questions, I'm not really sure I'd be doing business with the seller. Seems like a whole lot of shady things going on. I've had a friend who got a great deal like that once and then had his car seized a few years after he had finished it due to title/VIN discrepancies. It had been stolen then the tags switched.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68X426

Quote from: rydog1130 on October 22, 2017, 11:58:41 AM
Im having trouble posting pictures so heres a link to the bronco forum I'm a member of w/ pictures

Can't read the details in those pictures, too small and magnifying just makes them blurry.

What are the VINs in this case (not the VONs, SONs, stampings)?

What is the VIN on the VIN tag?

What is the VIN on the title?

Just post a good large picture or just type the info in a reply.

We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

rydog1130

I know the seller personally and I don't think hes trying to pull anything shady. He's been upfront about it. If I were to buy it I'd use the 68 title and Dash pad/tag. I cant remember if the quarter panels have the circular turn indicators or not. I saw the car last year and have been texting him recently to see if he still had it.
2009 Challenger R/T

rydog1130

Quote from: 68X426 on October 22, 2017, 12:23:51 PM
Quote from: rydog1130 on October 22, 2017, 11:58:41 AM

Can't read the details in those pictures, too small and magnifying just makes them blurry.

What are the VINs in this case (not the VONs, SONs, stampings)?

What is the VIN on the VIN tag?

Vin Tag on dash pad: XP29F8B392371

Vin on Title: XP29F8B392371

What is the VIN on the title?

Just post a good large picture or just type the info in a reply.

2009 Challenger R/T

68X426

You're Charger is not a St. Louis build, built late in '68 at Hamtramck.

Quote from: rydog1130 on October 22, 2017, 01:55:58 PM
Vin Tag on dash pad: XP29F8B392371
Vin on Title: XP29F8B392371

They match. 

Quote from: Troy on October 22, 2017, 12:08:32 PM
If you had a 68 title with matching 68 dash/VIN it would be better 

That's what he's got.

rydog - What's the problem?

:shruggy:

We Want to Help You.