News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN Help on potential purchase

Started by rydog1130, October 21, 2017, 03:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rydog1130

Quote from: 68X426 on October 22, 2017, 03:26:54 PM

You're Charger is not a St. Louis build, built late in '68 at Hamtramck.

Quote from: rydog1130 on October 22, 2017, 01:55:58 PM
Vin Tag on dash pad: XP29F8B392371
Vin on Title: XP29F8B392371

They match. 

Quote from: Troy on October 22, 2017, 12:08:32 PM
If you had a 68 title with matching 68 dash/VIN it would be better 

That's what he's got.

rydog - What's the problem?

:shruggy:

I was just concerned about the VON not matching the VIN but my understanding is that's normal for these 68's correct?
2009 Challenger R/T

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: rydog1130 on October 22, 2017, 03:48:47 PM
Quote from: 68X426 on October 22, 2017, 03:26:54 PM

You're Charger is not a St. Louis build, built late in '68 at Hamtramck.

Quote from: rydog1130 on October 22, 2017, 01:55:58 PM
Vin Tag on dash pad: XP29F8B392371
Vin on Title: XP29F8B392371

They match. 

Quote from: Troy on October 22, 2017, 12:08:32 PM
If you had a 68 title with matching 68 dash/VIN it would be better 

That's what he's got.

rydog - What's the problem?

:shruggy:

I was just concerned about the VON not matching the VIN but my understanding is that's normal for these 68's correct?

Yes, that is correct.

68X426

Yes, no match.   

Chrysler just created an MSU number for 1968 alone.  (MSU=making shit up).

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

rydog1130

Well shit looks I'm joining the charger club again! I'm going to go scope it out in person again later this week and report back on whether I pull the trigger on it! Thanks everyone!
2009 Challenger R/T

Bronzedodge

Mopar forever!

rydog1130

Quote from: Bronzedodge on October 22, 2017, 05:38:16 PM
Pics?

I'm having trouble loading pics on here so I made a thread on the bronco forum w/pics. Theyre good sports over there and don't mind

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281632
2009 Challenger R/T

6bblgt

the problem is:

'68 Charger body with stamped number G8X 184551 was built in St. Louis, MO some time between 3/68 & 7/68

'68 Charger dash w/VIN tag & title XP29F8B392371 was built in Hamtramck, MI during late 5/68

the two never did & don't belong to the same car

68X426

Thank you Vegas Dan.  I missed the X for the body. 

rydog - Dan just resolved this matter.  He proved that the car's body i.d. is St. Louis and the VIN and title are Hamtramck.  Maybe nobody in Michigan cared in the past.  As someone already said, the seller now needs to document a clean title with the Michigan DMV.  If the state doesn't know about the body/i.d. switch, or care (i.e. clean title) then only you would care.

I've been confused from the start when you first posted that it was a '69. You know it's a '68.
Quote from: rydog1130 on October 21, 2017, 03:35:04 PM
the dash vin tag is for a 69.

Personally, my opinion is that if you are genuinely restoring this car, it's a FrankenCharger as John said earlier.  If you are just building a hot rod/racer maybe it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't restore a bastard car.  That's me.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

rydog1130

Quote from: 68X426 on October 23, 2017, 12:40:11 AM

Thank you Vegas Dan.  I missed the X for the body. 

rydog - Dan just resolved this matter.  He proved that the car's body i.d. is St. Louis and the VIN and title are Hamtramck.  Maybe nobody in Michigan cared in the past.  As someone already said, the seller now needs to document a clean title with the Michigan DMV.  If the state doesn't know about the body/i.d. switch, or care (i.e. clean title) then only you would care.

I've been confused from the start when you first posted that it was a '69. You know it's a '68.
Quote from: rydog1130 on October 21, 2017, 03:35:04 PM
the dash vin tag is for a 69.

Ok so you guys answered my questions for the most part, is there any way to ever figure out the original vin number on this car or is it damn near impossible? I only ask because if I knew the original vin on the car it's not hard to get a correct title from the state as long as the car isn't stolen. Otherwise I'll buy it as is and not dump a ton into it and just  have a fun decent car to bomb around in!

Personally, my opinion is that if you are genuinely restoring this car, it's a FrankenCharger as John said earlier.  If you are just building a hot rod/racer maybe it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't restore a bastard car.  That's me.

2009 Challenger R/T

68X426

I'll risk looking stupid ..... I know of no way to ever know the original VIN. 

Not for a 1968 frame and body, with no documentation and no known previous owner.  Not possible on a '68.

:'(

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

6bblgt

NCIB, FBI, EIEIO ??? somebody has the info - access to it isn't easy

rumor I've heard: get tied up in a FRAUD lawsuit and the info will be subpoenaed

Benji

I was the body shop manager for a large dealership in the late 1970s and early 1980s.  Almost 50% of all automobile accidents involve damage to the front of the car. If the car was hit hard enough to bend the radiator support that also meant the front bumper, grill, radiator, fan blade and hood also needed to be replaced.  These are expensive parts when purchased new.  We had a number of large auto salvage yards in the area that we would call for an "up the middle front" in these cases. If they had one we would buy it instead of new parts and save some $$$.  When we installed the new support we never altered the numbers on it.  That being said it is strange that the trunk rain channel number doesn't match the title, however once again the car may have been "clipped" which would mean that number would not match the VIN on the dash.

If the VIN on the other dash pad and the VIN on the title match, I would buy the car.  Make sure you install the correct dash pad with the correct VIN should you be inspected by the police.

Benji.

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: 68X426 on October 24, 2017, 10:15:14 PM

I'll risk looking stupid ..... I know of no way to ever know the original VIN.  

Not for a 1968 frame and body, with no documentation and no known previous owner.  Not possible on a '68.

:'(

The NICB & FBI both have the records available to tie the VIN to the SO for 1968 & back.

It is used when a felony like number swapping is reported / discovered to determine the true VIN the car had.

The same data can also come into play if you apply for a state issued VIN.

68X426

Well there it is, I'm stupid.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Would y'all accept this modification to my statement "not possible on a '68"?

I meant to say - "for regular guys, even with extraordinary resources and time, and knowing nobody at the FBI, then not possible on a '68"?

That was what I meant to say.  :yesnod:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

rydog1130

Ok so not impossible but I don't know anyone at the fbi ha! You would think somewhere Chrysler would have the records. Anyways, I'm going to go look at again tomorrow and get some better photos and maybe talk him down before making a decision
2009 Challenger R/T

Alaskan_TA

Why buy a crime scene on wheels?

Save your money for a car with no legal issues.

Cars with bogus numbers can be seized at any time & then you have nothing for your money but questions to answer.

Just walk away.

cbrestorations

rydog1130

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on October 25, 2017, 08:56:03 PM
Why buy a crime scene on wheels?

Save your money for a car with no legal issues.

Cars with bogus numbers can be seized at any time & then you have nothing for your money but questions to answer.

Just walk away.

Good question, mainly the price...2k for a decent body charger that I can fix up and drive seems worth it to me! Hell there's a guy who put a charger on a Chrysler 300 on here lol
2009 Challenger R/T

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Benji

If you have a title with a VIN that matches the VIN on the dash panel there won't be any legal issues.  The authorities don't care if the number on the radiator support and/or trunk lip number doesn't match. Actually they probably don't even know those numbers are even there and besides the chances that a 50 year old car still has a matching core support number would be amazing.  Buy the car.

Benji

Dukeboy1965

Check under the seats and behind the glove box for a build sheet, if the original interior is still in it, build sheet could be in there. Figure out the legalities and buy it once the title vin matches the dash vin! Also, try to get some better pictures and post them. I looked at the ones on the Bronco forum, they're hard to see.  Get full body shot of car also without cover, pics of interior, etc.  XP29F8G would be a '68 318 Charger.  It sounds more and more like the title and dash were moved to a better bodied Charger!  You could send the VON off the trunk lip and radiator support to a Charger/Mopar registry to see if it's registered with them?  That would tie it to the VIN it came from.

Mytur Binsdirti

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: Benji on October 26, 2017, 06:33:14 AM
If you have a title with a VIN that matches the VIN on the dash panel there won't be any legal issues.  The authorities don't care if the number on the radiator support and/or trunk lip number doesn't match. Actually they probably don't even know those numbers are even there and besides the chances that a 50 year old car still has a matching core support number would be amazing.  Buy the car.

Benji

They authorities are well aware of the body numbers & they do care.

The car in this story had the tags & title seized because they did not match the body numbers.

The body numbers were checked & it had not been reported stolen so he was aloud to keep the rest of the car.

http://www.streetmusclemag.com/features/car-features/authorities-seize-1970-dodge-challenger-rt/

Benji

The last time I bought and out of state car I called the police department and an officer came out and looked at the VIN on the dash panel while comparing the VIN on the title. The numbers matched, he signed a form which I took to the BMV and they issued me an Indiana title.  The numbers stamped on the radiator support and trunk lip are of no consequence in Indiana.

Benji

Alaskan_TA

That is a basic inspection.

If a crime is reported, they WILL dig deeper.