News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN Help on potential purchase

Started by rydog1130, October 21, 2017, 03:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rydog1130

Quote from: Benji on October 26, 2017, 07:34:55 PM
The last time I bought and out of state car I called the police department and an officer came out and looked at the VIN on the dash panel while comparing the VIN on the title. The numbers matched, he signed a form which I took to the BMV and they issued me an Indiana title.  The numbers stamped on the radiator support and trunk lip are of no consequence in Indiana.

Benji

I feel like the same goes here in Michigan. Hell the Secretary of State doesn't even do a vehicle inspection in Michigan. I feel ok about this and that's why I decided to buy it. The body needs minimal work, everything you would need to get the car back together is there minus the bucket seats, motor and trans. I feel like even if I had to part it out I'd still be way ahead for the price I picked it up for. I'll have some pics up later this coming week!
2009 Challenger R/T

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: rydog1130 on October 27, 2017, 08:28:44 PM
Quote from: Benji on October 26, 2017, 07:34:55 PM
The last time I bought and out of state car I called the police department and an officer came out and looked at the VIN on the dash panel while comparing the VIN on the title. The numbers matched, he signed a form which I took to the BMV and they issued me an Indiana title.  The numbers stamped on the radiator support and trunk lip are of no consequence in Indiana.

Benji

I feel like the same goes here in Michigan. Hell the Secretary of State doesn’t even do a vehicle inspection in Michigan. I feel ok about this and that’s why I decided to buy it. The body needs minimal work, everything you would need to get the car back together is there minus the bucket seats, motor and trans. I feel like even if I had to part it out I’d still be way ahead for the price I picked it up for. I’ll have some pics up later this coming week!

Well, you did mention the details in a public forum.

Quote from: rydog1130 on October 21, 2017, 04:30:23 PM
The title VIN does not match the the stampings. The dash that he has for it is obviously out of a 69. The fender tag is gone. The stamping reads G8X184551 and the title reads XP29F8B392371 I’m pretty sure this isn’t the correct title for this vehicle as the B in the title vin designates it as Hamtramck plant and G on the body stamp or VON designates it as St. Louis does this seam to be an accurate assumption? Is there any way to contact Chrysler or other company and get the correct VIN code based off of the VON ?  From what I gathered on VON it’s basically a partial VIN

In my case X?29?8G184551 does that seem right?

So at least the information posted can be checked online by any potential purchaser in the future & law enforcement too.

It is also a felony to insure a car without a legal VIN.

ACUDANUT

I would only buy the car if it passes inspection for your state and you get a title.  It's not a Felony if your state issues you a title (they be could correct or not) It's on them, not you.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on October 28, 2017, 09:37:28 AM
I would only buy the car if it passes inspection for your state and you get a title.  It's not a Felony if your state issues you a title (they be could correct or not) It's on them, not you.

What would be my cost to defend that argument in court?
What's my legal position?

Is it worth it?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

cdr

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on October 28, 2017, 10:43:22 AM

Is it worth it?

SO TRUE !!!!  Don't forget  " I'm from the goverment & here to help you "  LMBO!!!!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

ACUDANUT

Is it worth it?

Why would it cost you anything, if the State issued you a Title. ???  You are free from any such Legal arguments.  Title in hand is a winner, PERIOD.

6bblgt

a state issued title is NOT the end of the line bullet-proof excuse, if obtained under false pretense .....

"Obtaining property by false pretenses is the obtaining of property by intentionally misrepresenting a past or existing fact."

a number of well known collectors (w/o knowledge of its "stolen" status) had state issued title to this V-code R/T ..... FBI seized it  :2thumbs:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2127196/1.html

69CoronetRT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on October 28, 2017, 12:32:39 PM

Is it worth it?

Why would it cost you anything, if the State issued you a Title. ???  You are free from any such Legal arguments.  Title in hand is a winner, PERIOD.

Please tell me you're not that naive...

The Feds don't GAS about some state flunky issuing a bad title.
Defending your position, right or wrong, will cost money and time.
Plus you'd likely lose the car too.

Save the cost, time and heartburn on the backend. Buy a legit car upfront.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Dukeboy1965

1968 Charger example of numbers matching.

Benji

If you have a VIN for a 1968 Charger on the dash panel and the dash panel is in the car but you have no title for it, Broadway Title can provide you with the paperwork you need to get a legitimate title in your state provided the car is not currently titled, is not stolen and is not a kit car. You can ask the BMV in your state to run the VIN for you to see if the car is reported stolen. In Indiana a police officer can also check it for you. 

To you guys who think the FBI, CIA, Scotland Yard, Interpol, Mossad, the KGB, or Homeland Security is foaming at the mouth and have the owner on 24-7 security watch with their guns drawn just waiting for this guy to attempt to title this car so they can arrest him and throw him in prison for 50 years because the core support and trunk lip numbers don't match, they have better things to do with their time and they don't care.  This car is a Dodge Charger with a 318 engine.  This car is one of 96,100 Chargers that Dodge built in 1968 and sold for about $3800.00 new. This car is not an RT, it doesn't have a hemi engine, it is not rare or extremely sought after collector car that some movie star owned at one point so no collector is going to camp on the sidewalk in front of this guys home when he advertises it for sale so he can beat the other 1,000,000 people wanting to buy it.

Benji

Dukeboy1965

Quote from: Benji on October 28, 2017, 04:38:37 PM
If you have a VIN for a 1968 Charger on the dash panel and the dash panel is in the car but you have no title for it, Broadway Title can provide you with the paperwork you need to get a legitimate title in your state provided the car is not currently titled, is not stolen and is not a kit car. You can ask the BMV in your state to run the VIN for you to see if the car is reported stolen. In Indiana a police officer can also check it for you. 

To you guys who think the FBI, CIA, Scotland Yard, Interpol, Mossad, the KGB, or Homeland Security is foaming at the mouth and have the owner on 24-7 security watch with their guns drawn just waiting for this guy to attempt to title this car so they can arrest him and throw him in prison for 50 years because the core support and trunk lip numbers don't match, they have better things to do with their time and they don't care.  This car is a Dodge Charger with a 318 engine.  This car is one of 96,100 Chargers that Dodge built in 1968 and sold for about $3800.00 new. This car is not an RT, it doesn't have a hemi engine, it is not rare or extremely sought after collector car that some movie star owned at one point so no collector is going to camp on the sidewalk in front of this guys home when he advertises it for sale so he can beat the other 1,000,000 people wanting to buy it.

Benji
Exactly!

Alaskan_TA

Benji

Well, again, they do care - even about 318 cars. A felony is a felony, engine CID matters not.

A case from a few years ago in a nutshell;

1968 Barracuda on Craigslist in California with a 1969 VIN. It was obvious from the photos that the actual car was a '68 & the full 1969 VIN was shown. The car & VIN indicated 318 cars, just different years.

The California branch of the NICB noitfied the California Highway Patrol & a VIN check was made. The 1969 title & VIN tag were seized & the seller was given a form to fill out to apply for a CA state issued VIN since the '68 body was not a known stolen car.

Never, ever assume that no one cares.

rydog1130

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on October 28, 2017, 06:41:56 PM

Benji

Well, again, they do care - even about 318 cars. A felony is a felony, engine CID matters not.

A case from a few years ago in a nutshell;

1968 Barracuda on Craigslist in California with a 1969 VIN. It was obvious from the photos that the actual car was a '68 & the full 1969 VIN was shown. The car & VIN indicated 318 cars, just different years.

The California branch of the NICB noitfied the California Highway Patrol & a VIN check was made. The 1969 title & VIN tag were seized & the seller was given a form to fill out to apply for a CA state issued VIN since the '68 body was not a known stolen car.

Never, ever assume that no one cares.

Ok so just to clarify originally he had a 69 dash but has since found a 68 dash that matches the car Plus has the 68 parts car that the title belongs too. I think from a legal stand point I have my bases covered!!! Thanks for all the great info!!!
2009 Challenger R/T

6bblgt

so, what is the VIN that matches the G8X 184551 body?

68X426

Quote from: 6bblgt on October 28, 2017, 07:52:08 PM

It's an FBI case. ::)

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Benji

"The California branch of the NICB notified the California Highway Patrol & a VIN check was made. The 1969 title & VIN tag were seized & the seller was given a form to fill out to apply for a CA state issued VIN since the '68 body was not a known stolen car."

So did he fill the form out while in prison doing hard time breaking rocks in the hot sun since this was a felony?  Or did he fill in the form in the comfort of his air conditioned home, while drinking a beer with his wife sitting beside him and then submit it to the state where they issued him a VIN and title all for about $25.00.  I suspect the latter.  So much for the "felony."  In order to prove this man committed a felony the state must have to prove his felonious intent to defraud someone. This guy was a victim of someone swapping parts to fix a wrecked Barracuda and the state recognized it as such.

Benji

rydog1130

The Dash tag and title match the parts car that he has to go along with the other body that's in better condition.
2009 Challenger R/T

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: rydog1130 on October 29, 2017, 08:58:33 AM

The Dash tag and title match the parts car that he has to go along with the other body that's in better condition.

So... you intend to do a rebody ?  :scratchchin:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Benji on October 29, 2017, 06:56:53 AM
"The California branch of the NICB notified the California Highway Patrol & a VIN check was made. The 1969 title & VIN tag were seized & the seller was given a form to fill out to apply for a CA state issued VIN since the '68 body was not a known stolen car."

So did he fill the form out while in prison doing hard time breaking rocks in the hot sun since this was a felony?  Or did he fill in the form in the comfort of his air conditioned home, while drinking a beer with his wife sitting beside him and then submit it to the state where they issued him a VIN and title all for about $25.00.  I suspect the latter.  So much for the "felony."  In order to prove this man committed a felony the state must have to prove his felonious intent to defraud someone. This guy was a victim of someone swapping parts to fix a wrecked Barracuda and the state recognized it as such.

Benji

1) nice Bobby Fuller Four reference. Good one.
2) it was still unnecessary time and money and BS spent trying to correct the problem. If he didn't do the swap, then someone else wasted his time and money.

rydog1130

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 29, 2017, 09:49:17 AM

So... you intend to do a rebody ?  :scratchchin:

I guess if that's what it'll take to make it legit
2009 Challenger R/T

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: rydog1130 on October 29, 2017, 12:27:25 PM

So... you intend to do a rebody ?  :scratchchin:

Legit would be to apply for a state issued VIN for the body you have.

Doing a second VIN swap to an already VIN swapped car is just asking for trouble.

But no doubt some fool will try to talk you into it. If so, ignore it.

Just go to your local DMV / BMV & get the form you need to apply for a state issued VIN.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: rydog1130 on October 29, 2017, 12:27:25 PM

So... you intend to do a rebody ?  :scratchchin:

I'd walk away from this hunk of shit and go look for a better car. :Twocents:

rydog1130

Here are some more photos of the car....
2009 Challenger R/T

rydog1130

finally figured out how to upload pics on here....had to change the file names on them completely....as you can see parts galore ...so if things don't work out w/ the dmv i'll still come out on top if I decide to part it out. Theres 3 extra doors that are in decent shape, some minor rot in the corners and edge where they meet the quarter but nothing un repairable. The drip edge or gutters on them are in great shape.  What would a door like that go for?
2009 Challenger R/T