News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is anyone running FiTech EFI?

Started by CornDogsCharger, October 23, 2017, 09:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CornDogsCharger

I have been kicking around the idea of going EFI with the 360 in my '66 Charger.  I came across the FiTech EFI... I like the cost and simplicity of the install... but I was just wondering if anyone here has tried it.  If so, how do you like it?  pros? cons?  Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

BLK 68 R/T

CornDogsCharger

Thanks!  I tried to search but didn't come up with anything. Looks like good reviews, for the most part.  I've read a few bad reviews on other forums through a Google search.  That was on a Mustang forum... but it could have been operational error on the Mustang guy's part.  :smilielol:

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

John_Kunkel

On internet forums, most folks won't give positive reviews unless asked but gripes will be volunteered and a lot of gripes are, indeed, installation errors. 
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69Chrgr

I installed a FiTech on a BBC 496 in a 57 Chevy and it ran great. I've also installed an Edelbrock ProFlow with similar results. From my experience, I think most mistakes from any of them are installation errors as John Kunkel stated. I'm installing a Holley Sniper EFI on my 440/512 so I'll provide details on my own car. I'm still up in the air however regarding the multiport.

JR

I still have my FiTech, and love it.

There are always naysayers that will crap on TBI, and tout the advantages of multiport, but there isn't a single multiport system that is fully bolt on and running in just a few hours, for as cheap as the FItech or Sniper is.

When I can buy a fully bolt on Multiport EFI for the 900 bucks or so the FItech costs, I'll switch. For now, I say enjoy the TBI. I'll never go back to a carb.

I've got almost 10,000 miles on my system, trouble free.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

69Chrgr

That's super great to hear! I've acquired a Holley Dual Sync, Mopar 337 intake manifold (being opened up and ported by Larry Smith at Flowtech), and then I'll move forward with most likely the Sniper EFI. However I spoke to Holley today regarding when the 8 injector version is going to be available. The current Sniper only has 4 injectors and is good up to 650 horsepower. I'm a little North of that (not by much) and I don't want to leave any HP on the table. The 8 injector version is supposedly in testing now, but if they don't come out with it by next February, I'll have to go multiport.

69wannabe

I put the fi tech on my car for a short time but i'm an old carburetor guy at heart so I did try the efi but didn't really like it. I had some fuel overheating issues with the fuel command center that I wasn't expecting to have to deal with. I would personally do the tanks inc pump and in tank design or at least the on frame pump kit. I wound up trading the set up I had for a paint job on my old truck and installed it on a 72 chevy truck with a 350 and put the on frame pump kit on it and it has worked fine as far as I know. It's not bad to install besides figuring out how to power it while the engine is starting.

As many guy's on here that have it i'm sure someone on here can post you a diagram on how to wire it with a relay and diodes to keep the voltage from back feeding. It ran fine on my car but there were thing's I didn't like as well so it was my preference to go back to my holley carb. I just always like when the secondaries come in on a good double pumper carb.

flyinlow

I have had the Fitech on one Charger for 2 seasons maybe 8000 miles. Works pretty well. Starts easy, idles smoother, self tunes to changes. No real power or gas mileage improvement's over the Quickfuel carb.

Had some hot start issues which I attributed to the Fuel Command center . Build an intank pump system with return to rectify . So far ,so good, but I have not seen hot weather since the change.  Fuel delivery is more of a challenge

then installing the F I unit itself.

There was a learning curve on  how to tune it. If you are a Millennial and sleep with your cell phone it will probably be easier then it was for me.

igozumn

I would do it again without question.  I need to do some upgrades to take care of the fuel in the tank getting warm, but otherwise, far and away better than the carb that was on there before.  This winter I'll put a block off valley pan on and maybe move the lines to the firewall instead of the front of the engine, for starters.
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

Offblue

My brother has a FiTech in his 67 Mustang and i'm planing on one for my 68 Charger R/T (specifically his MSD Atomic, which i'm getting free haha). It comes with it's own set of problems much like everything else. As for installation and function, it goes in easily and works beautifully. You'll need to drive with it for a few clicks before it gets used to your car, but if you have everything on spot (i.e no vacuum leaks) there should be no issues.