News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird headlight springs and vacuum switch questions

Started by chaaargerb, October 27, 2017, 09:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaaargerb

Hi everyone.
I have some questions about the headlight springs and vacuum switch on the birds.
I'm finishing up my dash assy. and was checking the vacuum switch for the gauge pack.

I have tested 3 of the ones I have. The original an NOS one and a reproduction one. When I put vacuum to all 3 of them they only hold vacuum for between 3 to 5 seconds. I'm going the have to assume the is normal.

If it is how long should the headlights stay down when the car is shut off if the rest of the system is sealed properly?
When I go to the car shows almost all the birds headlights are down.

I know they use a set of springs to help the headlights stay steady at low idle and I know that sooner or later the lights will go up when the vacuum is off.

Do most of you guys disconnect the springs or are they adjustable to keep the pressure off when not running?

Any input would be great!

oldcarnut

I can't offer any help on the vacuum part as mine are electric but I was under the impression the springs we're there to allow the headlights to come up and hold as a safety feature. Could be wrong but I haven't heard about the part to keep steady

moparstuart

Quote from: chaaargerb on October 27, 2017, 09:16:15 AM
Hi everyone.
I have some questions about the headlight springs and vacuum switch on the birds.
I'm finishing up my dash assy. and was checking the vacuum switch for the gauge pack.

I have tested 3 of the ones I have. The original an NOS one and a reproduction one. When I put vacuum to all 3 of them they only hold vacuum for between 3 to 5 seconds. I'm going the have to assume the is normal.

If it is how long should the headlights stay down when the car is shut off if the rest of the system is sealed properly?
When I go to the car shows almost all the birds headlights are down.

I know they use a set of springs to help the headlights stay steady at low idle and I know that sooner or later the lights will go up when the vacuum is off.

Do most of you guys disconnect the springs or are they adjustable to keep the pressure off when not running?

Any input would be great!
i fought this for years chasing vacuum to find the leaks never could fix it and hated that after a 1/2 hour my headlamps would come up .
  So i took my springs off and have never looked back .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

RealWing

I also left the springs off when assembling the nose. I did have the switch and vacuum pods restored
Jim
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

Aero426

Springs off unless you want to be in the lazy eye club.

held1823

Quote from: Aero426 on October 27, 2017, 03:35:56 PM
Springs off unless you want to be in the lazy eye club.

i wish mine had eyes to be lazy  :'(
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

PettyMower

The springs are there to hold the buckets UP, if vacuum is lost while driving at night.

Not wanting to remove this safety feature, I made lanyards that attach to the buckets, feed through an already existing hole, and attach an extension spring to that end of the lanyard. The other end (loop) of the spring slides over the threads where the z-bracket bolts to the sub-frame.