News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

***PROBLEM SOLVED****OVERHEATING PROBLEM SPECIFIC TO DAYTONAS

Started by kevs1969daytona, October 24, 2017, 08:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

62 Max

One big misconception is that a 160 deg stat will maintain any engine at 160. The only thing the stat manufacturer can control and guarantee (stamp on the stat) is at what temperature that said thermostat will be FULLY OPEN. A 180 stat will be fully open at 180 etc. 195 at 195 etc. That's all those numbers mean...the temp at which the stat is fully open. How that relates to the many engine cooling combinations is anyones guess.

And for what it's worth,my bird has a 180 thermostat, original 3 core radiator,original 7 blade fixed fan and shroud,only change I ever made was going to the 6 blade A/C water pump.This is where if stays 90 % of the time,this gauge and the in dash gauge are 100% consistent and has never been over 200 under any conditions in the 33 yrs I've owned it.

Do a little research and you will find the disadvantages of a 160 in most cases,however in the long run the final decision and results are up to you.
Good luck

cdr

Quote from: 62 Max on October 27, 2017, 09:48:59 PM
You need to do two things,get rid of the 160* thermostat,put in at least a 180* and say goodbye to the shop you have been using !! :Twocents:

Also,in the first picture it looks as if the end of fan blade is bent or does it have that much pitch or is it me ?

also fan blade is on backwards or it is all bent up ,it looks wrong.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

odcics2

From an efficiency standpoint, the hotter you can run an engine the better.
Obviously, there are other parameters to also consider.   :Twocents:

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?