News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1934 Chevy hot rod from the early 60s

Started by keepat, October 28, 2017, 04:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepat

An older gentleman that lived in my neighborhood and liked to talk about cars passed away about three years ago. He would always talk about his 1st car a 1934 Chevy two door sedan that he bought from the original owner in the late 50s. He proceeded to make a hot rod out of it by replacing the in-line six with a Oldsmobile V8, fabricating his own headers, along with a lot of other 1960-ish hot rod upgrades a teenager would do. He stop driving it as a daily driver in the mid to late 60s. The last time it was on the road was sometime in the 70s. All this time it's been stored in a shed outside of his house. His family reached out to me this past spring and over the summer we finally worked out a time to get it out of the shed and I bought it.

My plans are just to make it roadworthy and keep everything as he built it. But that's a project it won't start until my bullet Charger is completed ;-)

Daytona R/T SE

Really cool car.

I wouldn't change a thing. :2thumbs:

BDF

Sweeeet!  :2thumbs:
Maybe throw a couple of violin cases on the back seat  :icon_smile_big:

68X426

Awesome.  Prohibition era barn find!  With documented pictures and a wonderful story.

A two owner 83 year old hot rod.  THAT is a true one of one.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68X426

I should add that a sweet little 340 Mopar will slip right in and look great.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

6bblgt

keepat

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 28, 2017, 05:58:14 PM
Really cool car.

I wouldn't change a thing. :2thumbs:

That's the plan!
Thanks

Quote from: BDF on October 28, 2017, 06:08:20 PM
Sweeeet!  :2thumbs:
Maybe throw a couple of violin cases on the back seat  :icon_smile_big:

Definitely a gangster looking car
Thanks

Quote from: 68X426 on October 28, 2017, 07:06:42 PM

Awesome.  Prohibition era barn find!  With documented pictures and a wonderful story.

A two owner 83 year old hot rod.  THAT is a true one of one.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Hadn't thought about that, but that makes me the third owner ;-)
Thanks

Quote from: 6bblgt on October 28, 2017, 07:50:19 PM
:2thumbs: is that a 394?

He told me he bought the motor late 50s so it's very possible it's a 394. I hope to get some numbers off the block and confirm what it actually is tomorrow.
Thank you
Pat

Sublime/Sixpack

Cool car and story! I'd keep the Olds. engine if at all possible. I remember riding in a '64 Super 88 with the 394 engine, and it was strong.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69rtse4spd

WOW, if the rest of the car is as rust free as the body, just wow. Super nice find, ask the family if they have any old photos of the owner with the car, could carry one around in it when you go cruising. :2thumbs:.

moparstuart

keep it 50's 60 's  Hot rod for sure as is ,  but change the wheels please    :eek2:    very cool find  period correct hot rod parts  bad ass
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

miamivice

That's really cool!!!

+1 on the odd choice of wheels though.   If you do happen to remove them, let me know if you want to sell them.   They look like General Lee wheels and lm looking for a spare set for my car (just in case)

John_Kunkel

Quote from: keepat on October 28, 2017, 04:54:26 PM
He proceeded to make a hot rod out of it by replacing the in-line six with a Oldsmobile V8

I was weaned on the early Olds. Nice to see there's still a few around.  :2thumbs:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BDF

I just noticed how the carbs were 'plumbed'  :icon_smile_big:
What did the Gentleman do for a living? Just curious,  :cheers:

r4daytona

where are the pics ??  did i miss something

moparstuart

Quote from: BDF on October 30, 2017, 10:11:10 PM
My hot rod has a copper theme going on so I did the same thing when putting the six carbs set up on mine   

funknut

Very cool find!  Looking forward to seeing more.   :2thumbs:

keepat

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on October 29, 2017, 10:04:37 AM
Cool car and story! I'd keep the Olds. engine if at all possible. I remember riding in a '64 Super 88 with the 394 engine, and it was strong.

I pulled all the spark plugs and wheeled all the cylinders and crank the engine over by hand before I went out of town for the boat show.  There's no doubt this engine staying in the car as it's part of its history!  I did a little research on the engine, and the old guy bought the ultra high compression high-performance motor that was available that year!
Thanks

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on October 29, 2017, 05:41:22 PM
WOW, if the rest of the car is as rust free as the body, just wow. Super nice find, ask the family if they have any old photos of the owner with the car, could carry one around in it when you go cruising. :2thumbs:.

Body and frame are rust free!  The family said they would give me all photos to copy when they finally go through the old photo albums.  My father-in-law remembers him as they went to the same high school though he was a few years older and he actually had a picture back in the day of his motor.  I'll post that picture soon.
Thanks

Quote from: moparstuart on October 30, 2017, 10:20:48 AM
keep it 50's 60 's  Hot rod for sure as is ,  but change the wheels please    :eek2:    very cool find  period correct hot rod parts  bad ass

I have two of the 60s vintage mag wheels that came with the car that I plan on putting on it.  The General Lee wheels have to go. I think he bought those at a  I think he bought those at a weak point in his life mid 70s ;-)
Thanks

Quote from: miamivice on October 30, 2017, 10:31:12 AM
That's really cool!!!

+1 on the odd choice of wheels though.   If you do happen to remove them, let me know if you want to sell them.   They look like General Lee wheels and lm looking for a spare set for my car (just in case)

I'm not sure they would fit as the lug spacing is 5 1/4 which is quite large.
Thanks

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 30, 2017, 01:29:09 PM
Quote from: keepat on October 28, 2017, 04:54:26 PM
He proceeded to make a hot rod out of it by replacing the in-line six with a Oldsmobile V8

I was weaned on the early Olds. Nice to see there's still a few around.  :2thumbs:

When I talk to him about the engine choice he said it was between the olds and the Chrysler early Hemi
Thanks

Quote from: BDF on October 30, 2017, 10:11:10 PM

His paid profession was a steamfitter but I think he was one of those jacks of all trades's
Thanks

Quote from: funknut on October 31, 2017, 08:29:36 AM
Very cool find!  Looking forward to seeing more.   :2thumbs:

Thanks all, I will definitely post more pictures as I get into this project
Pat

moparstuart

when you get a chance post a picture of the 60's style wheels your going with   

keepat

Not a great picture but I got two with the car and it is what he had on in the 1960
Thanks
Pat

6bblgt

moparstuart

much better  , Love the pie crust tires  too 

these with redlines would be the perfect  look    :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

68pplcharger

keepat

This is a picture of the motor from back in the day
Thanks
Pat