News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have a better rez copy of this photo? Charlie at first Talladega 500

Started by odcics2, November 06, 2017, 09:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

UPI photo was in the Florida Today newspaper dated Sept. 12, 1969

Here's the story that went with it:

In this year of 1969, man is achieving one incredible accomplishment after another. Incredibly enough, one of those unprecedented feats is - - happening - here. The developments here are not as significant as man's first steps on the moon. And they are not as absurd as the Mets being in first place. What's happening here is somewhere in between nestled amoung the mountains, red clay and Baptist colleges of Alabama. Man is trying to average over 200 miles per hour here on a closed track. It hasn't happened yet but one man, Charlie Glotzbach, has come awfully close twice. Driving the new Dodge Daytona Charger, with a pencil - point nose and fish - fin rear stabilizers, Gbtzbach won the pole position on Wednesday with a qualifying speed of 199.466 for Sunday's inaugural Talladega 500. He came even closer in practice Thursday with a speed of 199.897 around the 2.66 - mile track. Glotzbach's official time Wednesday was a NASCAR Grand National record.

It would be cool to find an original!   :drool5:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

warmpancakes

https://www.upi.com/Archives/

its there somewhere  just a terribly laid out site thats practically impossible to use

odcics2

Quote from: warmpancakes on November 10, 2017, 10:23:35 AM
https://www.upi.com/Archives/

its there somewhere  just a terribly laid out site thats practically impossible to use

Agree.
Spent some time going around and around hunting!   No dice.  :rotz:

I was hoping that somebody would have an original, like the Allison pic I posted.

warmpancakes

it looks like any UPI image prior to  1991 are now owned by  corbis, who were purchased by  a chinese company VCG  who has getty images handle things for them

odcics2

Stevearino

I could be wrong but the text and the photo Don't seem to jive. I think this is a race picture and that is Richard Brickhouses lime green #88. To the left you can see the back end of Richard Petty's Torino Talladega with the 7 UP logo on the quarter panel.

aerolith

Hi Greg and All.

I still find it strange that Nascar was clocking 'timing and speed' to three decimal places back in 1969?
They are only talking about four places now all these years later and have said its not needed.
When I raced throughout the 70's here in the UK we used two decimal places and 'hand-held' stop watches which were 0.1 at best...

Therefore in my book, anything over 199.556 was TWO HUNDRED lol... :2thumbs:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

held1823

Quote from: Stevearino on November 11, 2017, 09:37:21 AM
I could be wrong but the text and the photo Don't seem to jive. I think this is a race picture and that is Richard Brickhouses lime green #88. To the left you can see the back end of Richard Petty's Torino Talladega with the 7 UP logo on the quarter panel.

perhaps the writer thought it could happen during the race?

how much thought was there back then about the draft, the whole "two cars are faster than one" philosophy? i doubt that scenario would be recognized as an official record, but had anyone turned one over 200, under any circumstances, at that point?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

odcics2

stevearino - check out this thread.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,125762.0.html

You can google 'Florida Today' September 12, 1969 and find the photo with the story I posted above.

:cheers:

odcics2

Quote from: held1823 on November 11, 2017, 11:14:01 AM

perhaps the writer thought it could happen during the race?

how much thought was there back then about the draft, the whole "two cars are faster than one" philosophy? i doubt that scenario would be recognized as an official record, but had anyone turned one over 200, under any circumstances, at that point?

Official Nascar timing is needed to be an official record.  Stop watches don't cut it! Can't draft to a record, either. Need a single car on the track.  (no help!!)

Chrysler Race Engineer, George Wallace, developed a "corrected" speed, which is a calculated formula that deals with weather conditions...  A useful tool for running the same car on different days, or even hours apart!

Some folks confuse "corrected" speed with the actual timed lap.  

We all know Baker ran an official record of 200.447 mph.   The "corrected" speed for that lap was 202.011 mph.

I have more documentation on this, written by George Wallace himself, that I'll post next week.

Stevearino

Quote from: odcics2 on November 11, 2017, 12:38:52 PM

stevearino - check out this thread.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,125762.0.html

You can google 'Florida Today' September 12, 1969 and find the photo with the story I posted above.

I stand corrected sir.

odcics2

Quote from: Stevearino on November 12, 2017, 04:38:54 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on November 11, 2017, 12:38:52 PM

stevearino - check out this thread.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,125762.0.html

I stand corrected sir.

No problem!   I stick with documented facts and vintage photos!  All else is hearsay.