DodgeCharger.com Forum
February 06, 2023, 11:33:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please remember: this is the place to discuss Chargers - NOT the place to discuss politics. Political posts will be locked or deleted at the Moderator's discretion.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car wont start after rewire  (Read 925 times)
moparnole

« on: November 01, 2017, 11:46:07 AM »

A friend and myself are in the process of doing a re-wire job on my 72 charger, and after we wired the engine bay we decided to make sure the thing would run. It will turn over and fire, but will not run. We got a volt meter and noticed that there was nothing coming out of the run side of the ballist resistor. We are thinking that it might be the ignition being bad, but that was replaced just about a year ago, and with the fun involved with doing that swap I'm kind of hoping its something else, what do yall think?
BLK 68 R/T
Old Timer

68 Charger R/T, 493 stroker engine, 727 auto.

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 12:56:29 PM »

Check the ballast resistor for continuity with it disconnected from the wiring. If OL then its bad. Since it's trying to fire when cranking that tells me that the ignition and fire wall connections are probably ok. Unless there is no power coming from the ignition switch when it's in the run position?
John_Kunkel
Old Timer

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »

The Mopar ignition switch has two ignition circuits, IGN1 and IGN2. IGN1 is the "run" circuit and IGN2 is the "start" circuit that bypasses the ballast resistor.

Problem is, IGN1 shuts off when the switch is in the Start position and IGN2 shuts off when the switch is in the Run position so, if your rewire job doesn't include the two circuits, you'll only have ignition power in one switch position.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.
W4ATL

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 01:52:58 PM »

Put key in run position and check for voltage at the ballast resistor. If there is no voltage, it won't run. You will need to trace back from the ballast resistor to the ignition key to find the break.
BLK 68 R/T
Old Timer

68 Charger R/T, 493 stroker engine, 727 auto.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »

popcrn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: