News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car wont start after rewire

Started by moparnole, November 01, 2017, 12:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparnole

A friend and myself are in the process of doing a re-wire job on my 72 charger, and after we wired the engine bay we decided to make sure the thing would run. It will turn over and fire, but will not run. We got a volt meter and noticed that there was nothing coming out of the run side of the ballist resistor. We are thinking that it might be the ignition being bad, but that was replaced just about a year ago, and with the fun involved with doing that swap I'm kind of hoping its something else, what do yall think?

BLK 68 R/T

Check the ballast resistor for continuity with it disconnected from the wiring. If OL then its bad. Since it's trying to fire when cranking that tells me that the ignition and fire wall connections are probably ok. Unless there is no power coming from the ignition switch when it's in the run position?

John_Kunkel

The Mopar ignition switch has two ignition circuits, IGN1 and IGN2. IGN1 is the "run" circuit and IGN2 is the "start" circuit that bypasses the ballast resistor.

Problem is, IGN1 shuts off when the switch is in the Start position and IGN2 shuts off when the switch is in the Run position so, if your rewire job doesn't include the two circuits, you'll only have ignition power in one switch position.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

W4ATL

Put key in run position and check for voltage at the ballast resistor. If there is no voltage, it won't run. You will need to trace back from the ballast resistor to the ignition key to find the break.

BLK 68 R/T