News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wrecked Daytona?

Started by TheAutoArchaeologist, November 28, 2017, 04:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAY CLONA

Quote from: alfaitalia on December 02, 2017, 05:27:45 PM
Quote from: aerolith on December 02, 2017, 12:05:56 PM
Its always gonna be like this from now on!

Scrapyard, wrecking-yard restoration projects!!! :scratchchin:

Most Folks are apprehensive about buying/selling wrecked cars, as the internet trolls are all over them ''like a rash''.
I heard of two Wingcars being bought and sold via the 'old system', WORD of MOUTH...

It will be the secret society of Wingers soon, not unlike the Free-Masons... :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Lol.....they will need to be secret...to avoid people like me laughing at their recreated cars like this (potentially) and that Ted Stephens copy which are not real Daytonas by any stretch of the imagination..they are just clones with old cars VIN numbers. Those that say we should save every Daytona...well they are not be SAVED they are being COPIED! Imo it's just as bad as folks who have bought a real Daytona...but they have no idea it was like the car at the start of this thread. They are paying the same or more than an original sheet metal car that just might need a bit of attention because they think it's an original car already restored rather than a ringer. How would you like to find that your pride and joy had once looked like that. It's amazing it's even allowed over there...certainly not here...it would be fraud (at least it would be if it had an old VIN). Selling something that is effectively a new car as a classic. Rant over!

Ahhh you got your britches wadded too tight there over nothing, with your train of thought a vast majority of old sailing tall/whaling ships should have been disposed of seeing that most contain 40% or less of their original timber/rigging, or in some cases complete fabrications, or that the Sistine chapel's ceiling should have been scrapped clean of it's badly deteriorated painted artworks  by Michelangelo and given a stucco finish, or how about all the European landmarks rebuild from dust and rubble after ww1 and ww2, Temple Church in Bristol, St Pauls Cathedral in London, the Benedictine Abbey, etc, etc, perhaps they should be made into parking lots?, or how about old Warbirds from ww1 and ww2 that have been reconstructed from the remains of several planes and repro parts to revive just one flying active example of that particular model? perhaps they should have been turned into soup cans instead, same with these cars, they're just machines, in 10,20 years, nobody is really going to care how the AMD Daytona was resurrected, they'll look at it as just being a visual piece of automotive history, same with this vehicle...

alfaitalia

To be fair though, with what your business is I would never have expected you so say anything else! You are entitled to you view of course but.....Its not a piece of automotive history its a copy of one. And just like today, collectors in the future, certainly will care if its an original car (as in a survivor or close enough to one) or a facsimile of one. What concerns me is how many of those "copies" will be (or perhaps already have been) passed off as the REAL thing. Clones being sold as clones is great....id love a Daytona clone.....but clones with old vins like the Ted Stephens being sold as a real Daytona is not acceptable IMO. I don't see how any real car lover can say otherwise.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

odcics2

Perhaps, life itself is an illusion... :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

gtx6970

Quote from: DAY CLONA on December 03, 2017, 01:29:54 AM

Most Folks are apprehensive about buying/selling wrecked cars, as the internet trolls are all over them ''like a rash''.
I heard of two Wingcars being bought and sold via the 'old system', WORD of MOUTH...

It will be the secret society of Wingers soon, not unlike the Free-Masons... :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Lol.....they will need to be secret...to avoid people like me laughing at their recreated cars like this (potentially) and that Ted Stephens copy which are not real Daytonas by any stretch of the imagination..they are just clones with old cars VIN numbers. Those that say we should save every Daytona...well they are not be SAVED they are being COPIED! Imo it's just as bad as folks who have bought a real Daytona...but they have no idea it was like the car at the start of this thread. They are paying the same or more than an original sheet metal car that just might need a bit of attention because they think it's an original car already restored rather than a ringer. How would you like to find that your pride and joy had once looked like that. It's amazing it's even allowed over there...certainly not here...it would be fraud (at least it would be if it had an old VIN). Selling something that is effectively a new car as a classic. Rant over!

Ahhh you got your britches wadded too tight there over nothing, with your train of thought a vast majority of old sailing tall/whaling ships should have been disposed of seeing that most contain 40% or less of their original timber/rigging, or in some cases complete fabrications, or that the Sistine chapel's ceiling should have been scrapped clean of it's badly deteriorated painted artworks  by Michelangelo and given a stucco finish, or how about all the European landmarks rebuild from dust and rubble after ww1 and ww2, Temple Church in Bristol, St Pauls Cathedral in London, the Benedictine Abbey, etc, etc, perhaps they should be made into parking lots?, or how about old Warbirds from ww1 and ww2 that have been reconstructed from the remains of several planes and repro parts to revive just one flying active example of that particular model? perhaps they should have been turned into soup cans instead, same with these cars, they're just machines, in 10,20 years, nobody is really going to care how the AMD Daytona was resurrected, they'll look at it as just being a visual piece of automotive history, same with this vehicle...

Using  Teds car as an example ;
Comparing a mass produced car to one of kind works of historical art is Ludicrous thinking at best.
These are/were cars,,,,, nothing more - nothing  less.

The ONLY reason this car is being done is to showcase products and/or ability. Odds are parts and/or labor is free or DEEPLY discounted. Just so someone can say they did it....period.

With Teds connections over the years why wasnt this car done YEARS ago?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: gtx6970 on December 04, 2017, 01:50:35 PM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on December 03, 2017, 01:29:54 AM

Using  Teds car as an example ;
Comparing a mass produced car to one of kind works of historical art is Ludicrous thinking at best.
These are/were cars,,,,, nothing more - nothing  less.

The ONLY reason this car is being done is to showcase products and/or ability. Odds are parts and/or labor is free or DEEPLY discounted. Just so someone can say they did it....period.

With Teds connections over the years why wasnt this car done YEARS ago?

I totally agree with you, that they are just "machines", I say it all the time, I went off the "deep end" of comparison to show how some put these machines on pedestals, or liken them to living entities, or true works of art/masterpieces/etc/etc... to me they're just machines, regardless of how they are restored, refurbished, recreated, rebodied or fabricated... they made their mark on history long ago, they're toys of amusement/hobby, those that turned them into "investments" are speculators that manipulate any market or commodity for financial gain while there's a dollar to be made, these cars aren't really worth what people have been led to believe

Fitz73Chrgr

As long as the owner represents the car for what it is, I don't see the problem with replacing every piece of sheet metal.  You aero car guys keep very close track of these cars, so it's unlikely an ill-intentioned owner would be able to successfully pass it off as original anyway.   :Twocents:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541