News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Second generation Dodge Chargers

Started by BLK 68 R/T, November 02, 2017, 11:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

With all the custom chargers being done, curious where you stand with regards to modifications?

I prefer totally stock, no mods at all, all factory.
12 (13.6%)
Stock appearing. But different wheels in the 14/15in diameter.
47 (53.4%)
Full custom with many modifications, motor swaps, body mods, big wheels, ect.
3 (3.4%)
I like all 3 options.
26 (29.5%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: November 12, 2017, 11:05:22 PM

BLK 68 R/T

Thought this might be fun to get everyone's vote on this topic?

69bronzeT5

For my '69, I'm planning mild resto-mod. Body will remain stock looking but I'm going to upgrade the wheels to 17"s, bigger brakes, lower stance. Interior will be mostly stock with upgraded gauges. Considering putting SRT8 seats I have in it but I love the original vinyl/cloth seats. Under the hood, I'm planning on a 6.1L SRT HEMI and a Tremec 5 speed.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

johnnycharger

Can I add a different option? What I really enjoy seeing are cars that guys drive regularly.  The ones that are mostly stock but have different custom mods that the owner thought was an improvement over the years of ownership.  Some times the mods are hokey or unusual but they are unique to the car and it's owner. I get way more excited to see a charger on the road or in town than at a show.

68X426

Quote from: johnnycharger on November 02, 2017, 11:23:05 PM
get way more excited to see a charger on the road or in town than at a show.

Agreed x2.
:drive:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Kern Dog

Can I add a different option? What I really enjoy seeing are cars that guys drive regularly.  The ones that are mostly stock but have different custom mods that the owner thought was an improvement over the years of ownership.  Some times the mods are hokey or unusual but they are unique to the car and it's owner. I get way more excited to see a charger on the road or in town than at a show.

Same here, Johnny.
I tell people that I am not a purist and I stand by that. IF a GM transmission or Toyota alternator works better, swap it in. When it comes to the exterior styling,  I have to say "stick with stock". There are few Mopars that I'd say that actually benefit from body modifications. The Daytona and Superbirds are the only 2 that come to mind right now. That extended nose cone....Man, the fronts of these cars are pretty long but add an 18" pointy beak to it and WOW!  The cars are too expensive for me to every have one but I would like to see the same type of sloping nose moved further back 10 inches or so.
Just an "opinion"...Not "hate" as some people might define it.

Mike DC

QuoteThe Daytona and Superbirds are the only 2 that come to mind right now. That extended nose cone....Man, the fronts of these cars are pretty long but add an 18" pointy beak to it and WOW!  The cars are too expensive for me to every have one but I would like to see the same type of sloping nose moved further back 10 inches or so.

Fast & Furious #6's maroon red Daytona did it.  The car builder proposed putting Vin Diesel in a regular Daytona but the studio guys complained that it looked too cartoonish.  So they shortened the nose and lowered the wing.

You really see the change when you look at the space between the hood scallop indentations and the nosecone.

chapel40

If it is super rare I like them to go stock, but the other cars I like to watch what people can dream up and enjoy. Hell I'm not going to live as long as my car is anyhow!!
Don Chapel

XH29N0G

I like stock appearing, but am happy with most anything that is a charger (wheels, lowering, psychedelic paint) and that does not get to the point of modifying the shapes and sizes of the body panels (and to some extent, the interior).  

I would love a wing car but would need to take a sledge hammer to the back end of my garage to make it fit..............Right now, I can just slip by the back of my charger if I plaster myself against the garage door and scoot (on my toes) just high enough to keep my bum above the deck lid.  

Apologies if you have conjured up that image and it is stuck in your head like the theme to the Brady bunch.  

:nana:  
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

green69rt

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 03, 2017, 12:40:42 AM

Same here, Johnny.
I tell people that I am not a purist and I stand by that. IF a GM transmission or Toyota alternator works better, swap it in. When it comes to the exterior styling,  I have to say "stick with stock". There are few Mopars that I'd say that actually benefit from body modifications. The Daytona and Superbirds are the only 2 that come to mind right now. That extended nose cone....Man, the fronts of these cars are pretty long but add an 18" pointy beak to it and WOW!  The cars are too expensive for me to every have one but I would like to see the same type of sloping nose moved further back 10 inches or so.
Just an "opinion"...Not "hate" as some people might define it.

What you said.  Only thing that turns me off is a really wierd paint job.  I don't now how to describe it but I know it when I see it.

odcics2

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 03, 2017, 03:12:37 AM
QuoteThe Daytona and Superbirds are the only 2 that come to mind right now. That extended nose cone....Man, the fronts of these cars are pretty long but add an 18" pointy beak to it and WOW!  The cars are too expensive for me to every have one but I would like to see the same type of sloping nose moved further back 10 inches or so.

Fast & Furious #6's maroon red Daytona did it.  The car builder proposed putting Vin Diesel in a regular Daytona but the studio guys complained that it looked too cartoonish.  So they shortened the nose and lowered the wing.

You really see the change when you look at the space between the hood scallop indentations and the nosecone.

Good example of a Bird cone on a Dodge. Looks disjointed. 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Baldwinvette77

i suppose i like all 3, personally i enjoy reading build threads, full custom or rust bucket brought back to life. i have a copy of mopar action that has a story of a general lee "2" replica and a 69 charger merged with a 2002 viper chassis and interior and i honestly love them both  :scratchchin:

Kern Dog

I am "open jaw" amazed at the skill (And guts) that some guys have in restoring the extremely rusted Chargers. I see skeletons with no quarter panels, no floors and only scaly frame rails extending past the rear window and somehow, these cars end up finished. The GraveYard cars guys made reverse engineered chassis jigs to align everything for proper fitment but I see pictures of cars in garages with jack stands and 2 foot levels....How the heck??? I know that a "Picasso" can paint a masterpiece with a Harbor Freight paintbrush but jeez....

F8-4life

I prefer my mopars stock or old school day two look.
I don't mind a hot rod but modern hot rods aren't my taste.

RCCDrew

I like any kind of drivetrain swap as long as it's mopar. But on the outside my opinion is that the car should keep original proportions and original style paint. And for me modern chassis swaps are out because it throws the front wheel offset so far out it just looks wrong. Also IMO 20" and larger wheels are too big.

djcarguy

:drool5: :2thumbs: :drool5: :2thumbs: :drool5: :cheers:

lloyd3

I'm predictable here, I like 'em the way I remember 'em when they were fairly new. In my part of the word then, that didn't last very long.

alfaitalia

I'm guessing the trunk wont open very far on that one!! The main reason they were that tall in the first place!!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

charger_fan_4ever

Day 2 look for me.

mags of that era, headers,exhuast,cam, carb ect on the motors that came in these cars. Interiors i like all stock. Outside paint either a factory color or the day 2 paint jobs.

VegasCharger

Quote from: alfaitalia on November 06, 2017, 03:10:17 AM
I'm guessing the trunk wont open very far on that one!! The main reason they were that tall in the first place!!!

Well put! :2thumbs:

Don't mess with perfection. The most iconic rear spoiler on a factory produced car.

:cheers:

Ghoste