News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shifting Early

Started by JMF, November 03, 2017, 10:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Went to see a 70 Charger today, the auto transmission seems to change into 2nd as normal but immediately after goes into 3rd, I didn't drive the car I was just in the passenger seat so was hard to get a better idea of what it's doing but going into 3rd so soon after 2nd could this be a problem with the transmission ? Thanks for any help .

ODZKing

I am by far no expert on this as I tried to adjust mine with advise and had no luck getting it right. BUT the levers in the back of the engine from the carb adjust when the engine shifts. If I remember correctly, around 20 then 40-45. No doubt someone will jump in here with expert advise, But I would try that before tearing into the tranny.
I'm certain here someone can guide you through adjusting it properly.
I'm posting the lever diagram as well.

JMF

Thanks for the reply, it has one of those Hurst Pro-Matic shifters if that makes a difference

John_Kunkel

Is the carb stock or aftermarket? If aftermarket, it needs a dedicated throttle lever extension in order for the trans to shift correctly.

If the carb and linkage are stock and hooked up correctly, it might just need a simple adjustment. Lengthening the top rod will make the trans shift later.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BSB67

The factory shift points usually seem too low to most folks.  Mine is in third by 20 mph and that is with a 3.23 gear which is about what the service manual says.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph