News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Progress on the Bobby Allison Tribute Daytona

Started by Stevearino, November 03, 2017, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

A friend of mine over on Facebook  Tim Walker who is a life long friend of Bobby Allison has been working with some others to create a Bobby Allison tribute complete with a period correct hemi. I thought you might like to see some pictures of it and Bobby giving it the once over.

tan top

:o :drool5: wow !!  looks like a awesome build going on  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi68charger

:2thumbs:

Very cool... Looking forward in seeing more progress.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

alfaitalia

Very cool.......I take it its not going to be a street legal replica....what with no headlights (you could take it on the road here....but I believe you need lights over there????)
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Stevearino

Quote from: alfaitalia on November 04, 2017, 07:48:45 AM
Very cool.......I take it its not going to be a street legal replica....what with no headlights (you could take it on the road here....but I believe you need lights over there????)

Not going to be street legal but a replica of his Mario Rossi owned Daytona.

Stevearino

This is a volunteer project with many donations. I am happy for Bobby to see this coming to life. Steve Leavitt now retired built the chassis and while it may not be 100% historically correct  it is a really well done close approximation. Bobby has seen a lot of tragedy with the loss of both his sons and then the unexpected death of his wife recently. He really needed this lift and his good friend Tim Walker was there to start the ball rolling. Hat's off to him.

aerolith

One of the best looking Daytona's to hit the tracks ever!
Bobby has had some real bad luck with his family and surviving the 87 crash was a miracle indeed! :pity:

My LA friend built a '22' replica back in the 90's and I got to drive it on the streets of San Fernando in 2004.
Built with a 426 wedge race-motor and hemi 4-speed for track duty.
It was awesome and the most fun you can have with your clothes on lol...

Aerolite
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

djcarguy

:popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn:looking great. should leave 1 door ,so some of the old guys can get in  an drive it or aleast ride in it??         thanks Steve for updating us..   :drool5: :drool5: :popcrn:   :2thumbs:

Stevearino

More pics...

Stevearino

a few more pics...

Howie

What are those spindles from?  Presently I am using 2" drop spindles with a spacer adapter so I can run the nascar rotors.

Harper

such a cool build. I took a class at the University of South Alabama about a 4-5 hour course "Nascar 101" it was called and the teacher, well that was none other than Donnie Allison and Bobby came by and spoke as well. :)
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

Simonic

Quote from: Harper on January 12, 2018, 06:45:46 PM
such a cool build. I took a class at the University of South Alabama about a 4-5 hour course "Nascar 101" it was called and the teacher, well that was none other than Donnie Allison and Bobby came by and spoke as well. :)
What an awesome experience that must have been  :2thumbs:
Mopar owner in the UK..

Stevearino

Quote from: Howie on January 12, 2018, 10:03:04 AM
What are those spindles from?  Presently I am using 2" drop spindles with a spacer adapter so I can run the nascar rotors.

I am not really sure. Sorry. :shruggy:

Harper

QuoteWhat an awesome experience that must have been  2thumbs

it certainly was, plus I have always been a big ALABAMA GANG fan! Thats why i can certainly enjoy this awesome build! Thank you to whomever is doing this. ITs already taking great shape!

I swear i love those wings, I wished someone made a cheap Fiberglass one for one of my projects! :)
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

Stevearino

Tim Walker is full on trying to finish this car by September for a special event with Bobby and has just gotten the car back from the exhaust vendor and is back on finishing the body work.

Stevearino

More...

5hunert

Just think.  How much time was spent re-skinning a Charger between races in 1969 - There were 54 races crammed into the Grand National schedule that year. I'm sure it pales in comparison to the kid glove treatment this one is getting.

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

Stevearino

Quote from: 5hunert on July 23, 2018, 09:36:19 PM
Just think.  How much time was spent re-skinning a Charger between races in 1969 - There were 54 races crammed into the Grand National schedule that year. I'm sure it pales in comparison to the kid glove treatment this one is getting.

Even factory teams back then had only a couple of cars for the season and many times repairs were done on the road at local car dealerships. Suffice it to say Bondi was used generously.

Stevearino

By the way this car is currently in paint and looks killer. Unfortunately I can't post any pictures s they want to do an un veil at a show on September.

taxspeaker

Can't wait to see it-cool project! Thanks for updating us

wingcar builder

Quote from: Stevearino on July 24, 2018, 07:00:45 AM
By the way this car is currently in paint and looks killer. Unfortunately I can't post any pictures s they want to do an un veil at a show on September.

Hope it's done in Lacquer  ;)

odcics2

Quote from: wingcar builder on July 24, 2018, 12:41:34 PM

Of course, since that's period correct.    :Twocents:

Stevearino

Quote from: odcics2 on July 24, 2018, 12:46:23 PM

I don't even know where you could get lacquer  today. The stuff was deemed highly carcinogenic years ago. Also it was done with a base coat clear.

chargervert

Steve, how did he go about flaring the front fenders? I have to do the front fenders on my Daytona race car.  I was going to cut mine, and use the baseball bat method to flare mine. I am just wondering if there is a better method of flaring them. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Pete

chargervert

Stevearino

Quote from: chargervert on July 25, 2018, 10:06:49 AM
Steve, how did he go about flaring the front fenders? I have to do the front fenders on my Daytona race car.  I was going to cut mine, and use the baseball bat method to flare mine. I am just wondering if there is a better method of flaring them. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Pete
I am not sure how they did the flares on this piece. I can tell you that if you try beating them out your arm will just about fall off. The metal in these old fenders is really a hard compound  and does not stretch easily. I did  small flare on my car and even as small as it was it was tough. If you look on the thread about the 305 Daytona build you can see from one of the final pictures posted that they jus cut a radius opening for the tire and welded a separately made flare to the fender. The thread is titled "305 found".

chargervert

Thanks Steve, I am  trying to decide which is the best way to flare them. I had seen a thread where someone used a wheel well patch panel from a late eighties Ford pick up rear fender to achieve the desired flare. I will check out that thread.

Stevearino

A little teaser.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

JB400

Didn't your mom teach you not to tease others? ;)

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Stevearino on July 25, 2018, 05:35:25 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on July 24, 2018, 12:46:23 PM

Acrylic Lacquer doesn't stick well to sanded urethane primer .. I had a quart of the stuff from years ago so I used it on the inside of  my "good" fenders which are still hanging up and its falling off so I am almost sure I can use an air hose and blow it off and redo it in base coat.
I don't even know where you could get lacquer  today. The stuff was deemed highly carcinogenic years ago. Also it was done with a base coat clear.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Stevearino

Well here is a video of the unveiling today in Lexington Va. I was supposed to go but I could not . Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yws9336wEzs&feature=youtu.be

charger500440

1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

Stevearino

This is why I fell in love with the Dodge Daytona. What is not to love here?

held1823

the grille. i love the grille...

along with the rest of the car

can't wait until the detail shots appear, to swoon over it even more
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

odcics2

Quote from: Stevearino on September 23, 2018, 01:13:02 PM
This is why I fell in love with the Dodge Daytona. What is not to love here?

The Ford Holman Moody wheels!   

Aero426

wingcar builder

Riverside car?   ::)   or do you hold a fuel can with a hose to the engine?

Stevearino

Quote from: wingcar builder on September 25, 2018, 11:36:35 PM
Riverside car?   ::)   or do you hold a fuel can with a hose to the engine?

I believe it fuels inside the trunk . The car was never meant to be a perfect replica. You are looking at a two year build by one man with the occasional volunteer help from others.  Tim Walker  spent over 2000 hours of his time here. He was not out to make a perfect recreation just a tribute car for Bobby. Bobby made some intentional changes  to the car that are not representative of how the car would have looked in the day. They are not out to fool anyone. Just having some fun and bringing a little joy to a man who gave so much to a sport that seems to have not appreciated him and who also has suffered more than his fair share of tragedy. I was happy to see so many people showed up for this event which was actually to place a memorial in honor of Davey Allison at the walk of fame in Mooresville N.C.

odcics2

I got this pic today from a fellow wing nut..

I don't know who this guy is, but he's making a claim it's a real car.  :rotz:

farm966

Highbanked Hauler

69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

odcics2

Agreed - beautiful !!!

Look how slick it looks when you fill in the fender to nose, fender to cowl and door gaps!!  
Even the 1/4 extension is filled in!

It's a clean machine!  

:2thumbs: