News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

garage heater now with drawing

Started by poppa, November 06, 2017, 01:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

Hi all , I have natural gas coming into the house , 1" pipe coming in dropping down to 3/4" after about 3 feet , then to water heater and furnace (about 15 to 20 ft further). There is a 't' where it seperates to go to the heater and furnace. Could I replace the 't' with a 1" cross and tap right off there ,keeping pipe/gastite 1" and leave the rest as is ,3/4" ? According to what I've been able to figure out the 3/4" wouldn't be big enough for the 3 appliances. From meter to where I want garage heater is just under 50 feet. Thanks

God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

poppa

Can I just remove the T on the right , put in a cross , leave water heater/furnace 3/4" , come off the open spot on the cross with 1" for my garage heater and be done?? Or do I still have to make heater/furnace 1" also.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

poppa

The heater is rated 50,000 . The furnace is 60,000 and the water heater is (is this right??) 35,000. The garage heater would be the farthest from the meter at probably just under 50 ft. Thanks for the reply John

draftingmonkey

This might to be helpful in sizing gas lines http://kailo.biz/ngt/sample_chapter_4.pdf, especially the chart showing gas line sizes and volumes they can handle.

J.Bond

The one inch line from your meter to your first 1" x3/4' x1/2' is your highest capacity line. Install a 1' tee before the 1"x3/4"x1" tee, if it's black iron, you will have to shorten it, rethread it , install your new 1" tee and a short nipple. If you are going to run a line out to the garage, take it over as 1", I all ways go to maximum line size for any future appliances. You have to buy the pipe, the fittings, the clamps, etc.  Sizing the 50,000 btus, you could probably get away with 1/2 inch ( I would have to check my gas guide) but, for cents on the dollar, at the end of the job, running 1" over 1/2', you will have more capacity in your shop.... you might need a barbecue!!!!