News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil Gauge Line Question......

Started by A383Wing, November 06, 2017, 08:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

Curious as to what you would use for an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure line from engine to gauge...plastic or copper line?

Plastic is what comes in the gauge kits, but copper was used at the factory back in the 60's & 70's

My 64 Nova SS had the rally gauges, and the line from the block to the dash gauge was copper 1/8" line

Most 70's GMC & Chev C10 and higher trucks that had the factory gauges in the dash also used a copper line from engine block to the dash gauge....

Just wonder about others opinion as to preference here

Bryan

c00nhunterjoe

If i had to do it again, i would use braided and be done with it.

darbgnik

I have no opinion on the subject, but I will say my car came with a plastic line to the after market oil pressure gauge, its been functional in the 10 years I've owned it, and  it was old when I got it. It's not something I'd worry about immensely.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

70sixpkrt

I've been using my after market oil gauge with the plastic line for the last 15 years with no problem. The problem with the plastic line is that it can dry out and start cracking and then you would have an oil leak in the car. If you are racing the car down the strip, the techs might say something about it. I've been thinking of switching mine to Braided line.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

dual fours

Get rid of that plastic tubing. After that plastic line cracks or rubs on an edge or something moves and the plastic line burns on something hot and the oil is squirting all over the motor or worse like under the dash, your just kick yourself in the a$$ for not using copper or what ever the braider stuff is that coonhunter said. 
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

68X426

Quote from: dual fours on November 07, 2017, 12:42:23 AM
Get rid of that plastic tubing. After that plastic line cracks or rubs on an edge or something moves and the plastic line burns on something hot and the oil is squirting all over the motor or worse like under the dash, your just kick yourself in the a$$ for not using copper or what ever the braider stuff is that coonhunter said. 

Agreed x2.  Braided stainless.  One and done.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hdd-820-70242 or something similar.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

c00nhunterjoe

Or go electric and not have any line.

71charger_fan

My 1955 Plymouth had a hard steel line from the block to a rubber section about 6" long, then more hard steel line to the gauge. Kind of a pain to deal with the hard steel line under the dash. I replaced it with braided stainless. I would have just replaced the gauge with a 2" electrical, but didn't want to modify the bezel. Plus, where the fitting is on the side of the flathead six below and behind the starter, I'm not sure there's room for an electrical sender.

A383Wing

I'm liking the steel braided oil line, the smallest I can find is 1/4".....is that the smallest they make reasonably priced?

Where does one get the fittings to go on the ends to connect to the engine and gauge? The threads on the gauge are 1/8th pipe thread

Bryan

71charger_fan

I bought two pre-made AN-3 lines of the lengths I needed off Ebay and used a bulkhead connector to pass through the firewall.