News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally saved enough for a 572 indy hemi but do I want one from Indy? Update:

Started by chapel40, November 10, 2017, 11:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chapel40

Finally saved enough for a 572 indy hemi but do I want one from them? Now that I'm serious about getting one I read some bad reviews here on this site about Indy. Kind of scares me and wanted to know if you guys have liked the 572s. Are they so stroked out they may not give me longevity? Opinions appreciated.
Don Chapel

68X426

Bad reviews are not just this site, it includes moparts and forbbodies.

Indy will not back up their products, nor their work.  The warranty, and what they claim, will not matter.  Even when they openly admit it is their fault for defects and failures, they will not back their products.  I painfully know this first hand.  Add to that they have the worst service in the universe.  I mean to tell you the worst, period.

As has been pointed out over the years on this forum, you should deal with reputable third party builders, not directly with Indy.  Threads from the past will list names of the right people to deal with.

From my Hemi experience, the Indy heads are fantastic, and their rockers are awful.  Their machining work is lousy.  I can't speak to their other equipment.  Members here will share their experiences.  Again, look for non-Indy shops to buy from and to do the work.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

alfaitalia

And if you are going up to 572....why not save a little (lot!) more and go 605 ?..just sayin' !
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

c00nhunterjoe

My 1st question is why do you need the 572? In all seriousness, can you honestly use it? Or do you simply want to say you have a 572 under the hood? Thats alot of torque, be prepared to spend an equal amount on the transmission and rear to handle it. Is this a driver or race car?

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

chapel40

I don't need a hemi, just have always wanted one and now I have the funds. I'm 51 and not too far in the future I will die of old age and would just like to have one. May take it to the track and play every now and then but mostly to drive on the weekends and enjoy. Not much for the car shows etc, just love the power.
Don Chapel

alfaitalia

Well said.....pretty much exactly the answer I would have given. I often hear people saying they wish they had more power.....not often they feel they have to much. My race tuned GSXR 1000 K2 was a close run thing though!!! As long as the running gear has been modded to handle it you should be good to go. :2thumbs:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

chapel40

Yeah, when I take off normally at a light and someone tests me keeping their nose up to mine I want to be able to kick in a ton of hp and torque just to edge them out kind of thing. Takes a lot of HP to get this tank down the road. Few burnouts, kicking her down into second and feeling the pull, opening the exhaust cutouts and making a bunch of noise. Probably wont install slicks and jerk the drivetrain out from under it.
Don Chapel

gtx6970

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 10, 2017, 08:03:03 PM
Get one from Tim Banning at For Hemis Only.

This,

Although I have no experience with anything near the size your interested in.
Ive driven a 484 Hemi from FHO. And it is hands down the best running street HEMI  Ive EVER been in.
Best of all Its looks box stock. ,,,at least until you pull the vale covers off or mash the loud pedal

Challenger340

If you don't mind me asking ?  Probably some of the same questions Tim will ask, but might help you nail exact expectations/options

* What are your power/trq goals ? or, is this a track E.T. thing ? 
* driving style around things like yearly mileage expected, hwy vrs city etc.
* I am guessing 91 Octane pump gas friendly ?
and,
* What ancillary systems are already in place in the Car ?  Cooling ? Fuel System ? Suspension/Tire Diameter/Gearing

Just say'in here...
572 HEMI's can make a TON of Power & Trq depending on what you want ?  It can be beneficial to have some discussions and experience with others beforehand ?

For example:
THIS Engine would NOT be a good Engine to install in front of an 8 3/4 Diff., ?  in a Car with a 5/16" Fuel Line ? We built it 5 years ago, freshened it last winter after 4 years and 5,000 street miles with no problems, but to put it mildly here... it's a bit of frigg'in MONSTER on the Street ?
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,96184.0.html
Only wimps wear Bowties !

chapel40

Wow, that's great information and like the stock look of that hemi! Still mulling over the expectations. I'm definitely going to get professional advice before pulling the trigger.
Thanks for the feedback
Don Chapel

chapel40

Don Chapel

Q5XX29

Not sure about New Orleans, but I've heard good things about Hemi Haines in Daytona Beach, Florida. I'm sure there are some good Hemi builders closer.

However, I personally would look no further than Tim Banning at FHO. I've had him build two Hemis for me; a 572 cross ram making 813 hp on 91 octane for my '67 GTX, and a 604 cross ram making 950 hp on race gas for my original LO23 super stock Dart. I'll have to post an update soon on that car.

Here are some links to my GTX though (stupid damn photobucket!):

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,122675.0.html

http://forhemisonly.com/project/clint-brunner/

dakota_gt on Instagram

chapel40

I believe I have found one if the price is right. Have to look at the build sheet, was built about 7 years ago and dyno'd. HP in the 600s but that's all I know.
Does it hurt the seals to sit for seven years? All new build.
Don Chapel

Mike DC

It was built & dyno'd and then sat for 7 years? 

Somebody must have run out of money abruptly.

chapel40

Car was in a restoration shop and someone bought it I believe. He has a couple more cars at the restoration shop as well. Some guys I know had info on it and let me know it may be available. We will see what happens...... :popcrn:
Don Chapel

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

chapel40

Yes it is and they did tear it down to check for whatever problems they had. Its a 528 hemi dyno at 539hp and torque in 600s. Decided the cost and risk was not worth it. Never installed in a car. Sure its true, everyone knows everyone here. I chickened out.
Don Chapel

chapel40

Don Chapel