News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will performance axels break on the street?

Started by chapel40, November 13, 2017, 12:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chapel40

Was watching restoration garage and they removed the hardened xels from a car and went back to stock saying they could break if you hit a bad bump. A lot of people running them on the street aren't they?
Don Chapel

c00nhunterjoe

I have strange race axles in my dana, no issues since installed. Had hardened axles in my 8.75 for years prior and new had an issue on the street.

chapel40

Yeah, I would not think they would be that brittle. Kind of shocked me.
Don Chapel

armor64

i like the show, been up to their bradford area a few times for shows and such, when i saw that one I just took it as they needed an excuse to switch axles out while on while camera, because they were going to be done anyway?

c00nhunterjoe

They are harder which in turn mames them more brittle in a sense. But at the same time, have you been to most race tracks? Their return roads are worse then most city streets and some are even dirt.

John_Kunkel

I think you're confusing hardness with material selection. Some axle materials will have superior torsional strength (twisting force) but might be susceptible to failure with bending force.

For street axles you want a material that will resist twisting force but will also bend, flex, and spring back. 

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

charger2fast4u

Are they hardened or chromoly? If chromoly there won't be any issue using them on or off the track. 

c00nhunterjoe

I run the strange lightened pro race axles. Cant recall the material, but they are not reccomended for street use. I have given them plenty of abuse with no problems to date.

Harper

QuoteTheir return roads are worse then most city streets and some are even dirt.

aint it the truth...

i would say the same as above they wanted to have a reason to change them on camera, however i have been across some crappy roads with pot holes the size of a war zone... :lol:
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

chapel40

In my manual it cautions you not to use torch / heat to remove bearings
Don Chapel