News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Comments on used MIG Welder

Started by bakerhillpins, November 13, 2017, 08:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

All,

I've got a friend who is clearing out some stuff from his father-in-laws estate and one of the items is a Millermatic 130xp with helmets, cart, gloves, gas cylinder $350. It's clean and low hours. Looking at folks opinions on the cost/value position and any questions I should be asking. I've already asked him to get the date off the gas cylinder to determine if it's expired or soon to be.

Any comments appreciated.
Thanks
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

69rtse4spd

I have both a Miller mig & tig, can't go wrong with Miller. As long as it's not to old you should still be able to get parts. In Ind. you need papers when you buy tanks, unless he rented them then they should still be on file with the company or he should have a rental agreement. Go on the web site to get the year & specks, & see if it will work for you, but at that price could resale at profit. I use my mig way more than the tig. Call a dealer & ask them about it if you can if not we have a dealer close to me, I cam get there number or you can send me the model & serial number & I will contact them for you.   

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on November 13, 2017, 09:45:20 PM
I have both a Miller mig & tig, can't go wrong with Miller. As long as it's not to old you should still be able to get parts. In Ind. you need papers when you buy tanks, unless he rented them then they should still be on file with the company or he should have a rental agreement. Go on the web site to get the year & specks, & see if it will work for you, but at that price could resale at profit. I use my mig way more than the tig. Call a dealer & ask them about it if you can if not we have a dealer close to me, I cam get there number or you can send me the model & serial number & I will contact them for you.  

What qualifies as "too old"? Assuming I need serial # for year from website.

I think it's good for up to 1/8" which should suffice for all automotive sheet metal and Chrysler uni body stuff.

A friend just filled and simply exchanged his old for new at the gas supplier with no paperwork.. Just like exchanging an old propane tank.

Some pics:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

keepat

Nice welder for the price, buy it!
Pat

bakerhillpins

So apparently the unit is new in 2001 and the bottle has never been used. They either welded without shield gas or a different bottle.  We are going to look it up and see about parts.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Troy

I can't believe you're still debating... that would have been gone on Craigslist in an hour here. :P

Other than the auto start feature (and the bump to the 140 name), I don't believe the design has changed much in forever. Even if it has, the odds of you needing any new parts this century are pretty slim. And get a real tank!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Musicman

Quote from: bakerhillpins on November 14, 2017, 12:57:58 PM
So apparently the unit is new in 2001 and the bottle has never been used. They either welded without shield gas or a different bottle.  We are going to look it up and see about parts.

The wire currently loaded on the machine in the pic's is a Flux Core (Self Shielding) wire. Great for structural applications with square tube, angle iron, flat bar etc, especially old dirty stuff. Not much good for thin body panel work though.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Troy on November 15, 2017, 05:12:48 PM
I can't believe you're still debating... that would have been gone on Craigslist in an hour here. :P

Other than the auto start feature (and the bump to the 140 name), I don't believe the design has changed much in forever. Even if it has, the odds of you needing any new parts this century are pretty slim. And get a real tank!

Troy

LOL... I bought it Tuesday afternoon. He's bringing it into the office on Monday.  :2thumbs:

A real tank?  I can't imagine that the cert on the tank is still valid after 16 yrs so I either have to retest it or get new. Are you suggesting getting a larger size?

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

69rtse4spd

Yes, depending on how much you use it, the large one or the medium one, I have the latter. Just about the right size for me to man handle.     

6pkrtse

I have a Miller 135 that I bought used I have had it for over 25 years & have done nothing to it but add wire & change out the bottle when empty. It has to be a least 35 years old now & gets used a lot in my garage even for home use. I also have a used Miller 250 that I got for free & put about $280.00 into it to get it back working again & has been flawless since. It is about 20 years old & used to get used 10-12+ a day. They are both still going strong. No complaints about Miller from me.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic