News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question on Superbird hoods

Started by hemi68charger, November 08, 2017, 11:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Operation Superbird hood repair;
Looking for a 70 B-hood, more specifically a 70 Coronet.

Blue hood is the '70 Coronet hood I have now, the cleaned/yellow is the original Superbird hood

Question, any B-body underhood support structure would work? Or not? Mike G?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

billssuperbird

I always thought it was just a Coronet Hood :brickwall:

odcics2

Looks like you need to cut and splice from the Coronet hood.  :yesnod:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

6bblgt

:shruggy: looks like he needs another Coronet hood

hemi68charger

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 09, 2017, 05:02:45 PM
:shruggy: looks like he needs another Coronet hood

And thanks to my friend Allan P., I just found and purchased a rust free '70 Coronet hood....  :boogie:

Man, less than 24 hours..... Mopar planets were aligned for me for sure....
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

62 Max

The inner structure on the bird hood is all one piece,the coronet inner structure is shorter so where did the longer bird structure originate or am I getting senile ?:lol:

hemi68charger

Quote from: 62 Max on November 09, 2017, 06:49:29 PM
The inner structure on the bird hood is all one piece,the coronet inner structure is shorter so where did the longer bird structure originate or am I getting senile ?:lol:

I believe the inner structure is the same length, but the top skin was shortened on the Coronet hood to get rid of the unique Coronet front bumper styling and then the "extension" as we call it was added to fill that area up with a smooth surface.. The intersection point of the hood/bumper-nose/fender of both the Coronet are the same. Now, the line connecting those two points on either side of the car are about the same. So, I think the inner structure running the length of the side edge is the same. Now, the middle section of the inner structure between those to points was trimmed and filled in the with the bottom extension if you will... Make sense? Just a visual observation....
Troy

odcics2

So, you will be separating the skin from the inner.
Are you are saving the original hood, as much as possible?
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

superbirdtom

the inner structure is 100% 70 coronet.  I posted my making a superbird hood from a 70 coronet somewhere on the site look it up and you will see whats up. every where theirs a rust hole you can bet theirs lots more waiting to pop out eventually-they did rust in those areas as the hood pin holes let water in and set in those areas. now what to do to repair it without deskinning it and ruining the factory spotwelds.  If the front inner structure is only problem spot you could carefully cut the tack welds on the bottom that hold the extension piece in place and carefully pry it up enough to get a sandblaster in there and hose out the rust. of course the extention is still connected to the top skin.  or you could cut the tack welds then cut across an inch before the 45 degree flange and remove the extension  blast it all out treat it all fix all holes then TIG weld the long cut back and retack extension. it takes a master tig welder.  or you could drill out all the factory spotwelds on the side and remove the entire skin then plug weld up the holes when reattaching and then get a spotwelder and respotweld the skin one half inch from the undetectable plug welds.  I have done it this way on a 70 runner hood and its a lot of meticulous work but when done its very hard to tell its been messed with. U could also cut out the inner structure right at the hood pin holes fix it all then Tig weld it back in. 

superbirdtom

BTY  I have 6 -70 coronet hoods and theyre really nice rust free if u need one.

moparstuart

Quote from: superbirdtom on November 10, 2017, 03:51:42 PM
i knew you would show up  ,  your hood building  thread is still on here somewhere
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Quote from: superbirdtom on November 10, 2017, 03:51:42 PM

Hey Tom,
Thanks a lot !!! I appreciate it.... I actually was pointed to one by Allen P. yesterday and picked it up today a coupe hundred miles away and took it to the body shop on the way home... So, I "should" be ok.. if I run into issues, I'll tag back. But, the inner structure on this one looks real nice....

Troy