News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dayclona build with vega plug

Started by moparmendy, November 07, 2017, 11:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparmendy

thinking of doing a daytona clone with a vega plug and i thought i heard something about need part of the upper trunk section from a 71 to 74 charger?
wondered if someone could give me the cliff notes version of how to use the vega plug...
any and all help appreciated..
also if anyone has side by side real versus vega plug pictures i would love to see them..thanks!!!!

70 sublime

Red is Vega and other is fiberglass but proper Daytona shape
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

rob-dirt

what year vega plugs can you use  from ________ to ________ is wagon the same  :shruggy:

Old Moparz

Quote from: rob-dirt on November 08, 2017, 02:36:42 PM
what year vega plugs can you use  from ________ to ________ is wagon the same  :shruggy:

All years will work, including the Pontiac Astre, but there are several years that have the vents that will need to be closed off. Can't recall whether the early models or the later ones had the vents.  :shruggy:

Wagons are completely different & so are the notch backs.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on November 08, 2017, 03:05:43 PM
Quote from: rob-dirt on November 08, 2017, 02:36:42 PM
what year vega plugs can you use  from ________ to ________ is wagon the same  :shruggy:

All years will work, including the Pontiac Astre, but there are several years that have the vents that will need to be closed off. Can't recall whether the early models or the later ones had the vents.  :shruggy:

Wagons are completely different & so are the notch backs.
71-73 have vents   and  74-77  do not    Hatch back only   sedan and wagon  no workey 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Old Moparz

Quote from: moparmendy on November 07, 2017, 11:16:38 PM
thinking of doing a daytona clone with a vega plug and i thought i heard something about need part of the upper trunk section from a 71 to 74 charger?
wondered if someone could give me the cliff notes version of how to use the vega plug...
any and all help appreciated..
also if anyone has side by side real versus vega plug pictures i would love to see them..thanks!!!!

Gary, scroll through this topic for some good info, photos & details on the piece you're asking about.....   :cheers:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89467.0.html
               Bob                

6pkrtse

So, from the looks of the picture between the two, the Vega rear window gets turn upside down when welding it all back in?
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

A383Wing

no, the Vega plug goes the same direction as the OE Daytona plug, about the only difference when all completed is that the curvature of the Vega glass is opposite as opposed to the Daytona glass....most people cannot tell the difference when done

I'm in the process of putting the Vega plug in my car as we speak

Bryan

6pkrtse

Hmm, I guess I never looked that closely before but from this picture it looks like you would flip it & it would almost be the perfect window.

odcics2

Vega wagon glass itself looks more correct, being flat on the bottom and curved along the top...   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Fin Day

As said by Bryan.
Here is mine with the Vega plug.
Wing car people/owners know and see that this is recreation - nobody else does not.

Quote from: A383Wing on November 09, 2017, 03:46:00 PM
no, the Vega plug goes the same direction as the OE Daytona plug, about the only difference when all completed is that the curvature of the Vega glass is opposite as opposed to the Daytona glass....most people cannot tell the difference when done

Bryan

alfaitalia

If I was lucky enough to be building a Daytona rep I'm not  sure I could live with the "upside-down" Vega rear window.....just my slight OCD coming to the front!! LOL. However it does not look as if it would be that hard to re-engineer it to put the glass the other way up. Not that there are any Vega cars in the UK to steel a hatch from anyway.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

alfaitalia

Quote from: odcics2 on November 09, 2017, 04:08:59 PM
Vega wagon glass itself looks more correct, being flat on the bottom and curved along the top...   :Twocents:

A real Daytona is the other way around.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

moparstuart

Quote from: Fin Day on November 10, 2017, 07:37:25 AM
As said by Bryan.
Wing car people/owners know and see that this is recreation - nobody else does not.

Bryan
wow beautiful CAR   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

6pkrtse

Yes, awesome looking Dayclona. I guess it would look okay installed either way, right side up or up side down. Just the purists would know the difference.

XS29L9B2

As said by Bryan.

Bryan

So beautifull
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

NHCharger

All years will work, including the Pontiac Astre,

I was picking a salavage yard yesterday and saw a Astre. The rear hatch looked pretty good. Was wondering if that would be the same as a Vega. I did find a Vega and someone had removed the back window out of the hatch and left it in side the car. Had to take it. Now I have a spare rear window.

How much would a intact rear hatch be worth? 
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Stevearino

Quote from: alfaitalia on November 10, 2017, 08:00:15 AM
If I was lucky enough to be building a Daytona rep I'm not  sure I could live with the "upside-down" Vega rear window.....just my slight OCD coming to the front!! LOL. However it does not look as if it would be that hard to re-engineer it to put the glass the other way up. Not that there are any Vega cars in the UK to steel a hatch from anyway.

The glass is wider at the bottom as is the distance between the "C" pillars of the Charger so flipping it upside down unfortunately does not work. :'(

Old Moparz

Quote from: NHCharger on November 12, 2017, 08:57:41 PM

All years will work, including the Pontiac Astre,

I was picking a salavage yard yesterday and saw a Astre. The rear hatch looked pretty good. Was wondering if that would be the same as a Vega. I did find a Vega and someone had removed the back window out of the hatch and left it in side the car. Had to take it. Now I have a spare rear window.

How much would a intact rear hatch be worth? 

Astre is the same.

The glass still pops up on ebay, even new.

The hatch itself is probably is worth getting if it's not rusty, but I'm not sure of the exact value. I'd take a guess at around $100 tops without the trim or the glass only because that will start to add up when someone needs to purchase it all separate.

These things were pretty common but now they seem harder to find than Daytona parts.
               Bob                

moparmendy

that is a super angle for a photo and super super nice dayclona.  rear window area looks amazing.  great job

Daytona Guy

As said by Bryan.

Bryan

Whos red Daytona is this???

Dane