News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power steering pump choice

Started by GrazerX, November 17, 2017, 07:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrazerX

I can't source a pump in the UK so was looking at Summit.  When I search for 68 Charger they give me a range of pumps but not sure if they're all compatible - anyone got any advice on which to go for?

'68 Charger 440
'74 Camaro 383 Stroker
'19 Tesla Model X P100D
'19 Tesla Model 3 LR

darbgnik

IIRC, the federal and Saginaw boxes have different mounting brackets, so if you plan on using a different pump than what's there, you'll need to order the appropriate brackets.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Simonic

What's the problem with your old pump? I had mine rebuilt here in the uk cheaply and efficiently
Mopar owner in the UK..

alfaitalia

Define "rebuilt".....most power steering pump rebuilds are no more than replacing the old seals. But on my pump there was pitting inside (prob due to sitting undriven for years and moisture getting in). Having spoken to a couple of places (who could not help.....they just offered a basic rebuild with new seals) I had to find a replacement....which I then had the seals done....just to be sure!!

So it will all depend on the condition of your old one.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

71charger_fan

If you've got the Saginaw pump, the part that's likely specific is the reservoir. If you buy just the pump, it's pretty easy to remove the pump from your reservoir and install a new/rebuilt unit in its place. When I was replacing my PS pump, I realized the return hose fitting on the back of the reservoir varies. The Saginaw pump I had as a spare that was off of a 318 wouldn't fit on my 400 because the return hose fitting hit the cylinder head.

Simonic

Quote from: alfaitalia on November 18, 2017, 08:45:43 AM
Define "rebuilt"....
The seals were replaced. The shaft which exits the pump which has the pulley on it was also replaced as it was worn.
Mopar owner in the UK..

GrazerX

It heated up so much the plastic dip stick on the cap melted and deposited molten plastic around the pump! Making an unpleasant grinding noise now. Was thinking a new pump was the best option?!
I see from paperwork that came with the car that a new pump was bought in 2011. Looks like maybe the A1 Cardone federal pump?
'68 Charger 440
'74 Camaro 383 Stroker
'19 Tesla Model X P100D
'19 Tesla Model 3 LR

GreenMachine

You have a Saginaw pump with a press on pulley, probably from the mid seventies. The bracket and reservoir will change over, your issue will be finding one that works with your pulley.

It looks like all the one's you posted have a threaded shaft and takes a keyed pulley with a lock nut holding it on. 

I searched Rockauto.com for a pump for a 1978 Dodge truck 440 and came up with this:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1978,w200+pickup,7.2l+440cid+v8,1100833,steering,power+steering+pump,7380

It looks like what you need.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Saginaw pump for sure. They are a great pump which is dirt easy to rebuild and cost next to nothing to put a seal kit through. The good thing is Saginaw pumps were used in almost everything (jeep,ford, chev and many others) and were still being used up to around the mid 2000's I believe. Just beware they went metric at some point which means new hardware will be needed.

Press on pulley like you have needs a special puller, dirt cheap though. Early pumps had the keyway shaft which is held on with a 9/16-18 nut.

jlatessa

That pulley needs to be replaced also,
that pitting will do the belt no good, IMO.

Joe

alfaitalia

440 source won't ship to the UK...like many other companies I've tried to deal with. It's a joke really...supposed to be a global market. I bet most U.K. companies would ship to the state's. Don't know why they are so scared of international business!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

GrazerX

Thanks for the info guys. 440 source do link to some European sites and found this in Germany:

https://www.moparshop.de/en/Online-Store/Suspension/30325/Power-Steering-Pump-Saginaw-Mopar

Price has been elevated but looks like what I need!

'68 Charger 440
'74 Camaro 383 Stroker
'19 Tesla Model X P100D
'19 Tesla Model 3 LR

68CoronetRT

I'm sure someone would help you out in the USA and order it for you then ship it over.

Simonic

[quote
440 source won't ship to the UK...
[/quote]

This has changed now. I had some things shipped over earlier this year
Mopar owner in the UK..

GrazerX

Good to know  :2thumbs:
I ordered from the moparshop in Germany and arrived in 2 days with 15euro shipping so probably worth paying a bit more for!
Now to get it on!
'68 Charger 440
'74 Camaro 383 Stroker
'19 Tesla Model X P100D
'19 Tesla Model 3 LR

Simonic

Good luck ! Hope you get a trip out before the salt is on the roads ! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Mopar owner in the UK..