News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you guys buy/sell a car

Started by ACUDANUT, November 19, 2017, 11:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I am worried about getting ripped off and getting no car.

ACUDANUT

1970Moparmann

Funny you asked this.... I've had many conversations lately about this.   Mainly, it is friends the want to buy a car.   As I have learned the hard way, if there is no documentation to a "done" car, run.   Unless the past owner has the history on the car, and is knowledgeable, I say head another direction.   If the car history and documentation checks out, then do your homework and figure out a "fair" deal.   If your not comfortable with paying more than what you consider "fair", then you will always feel screwed. 

Selling is a little more tricky.   For keeper cars (not flips) I've sold (3) at a consignment place because I didn't want to deal with the people who are interested, but have no money.    Each car sat a little bit, but it worked out for me.  Selling can be interesting, but remember you are in control.    You can typically weed out the dreamers and people that won't buy, but it will be some work. 

Good luck!   Is this for the Jeep?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

ACUDANUT

Yes, I found my Jeep. I don't want to pay unless it's in my hands , But I understand, being in a sellers situation of getting ripped off.
How did you know about my jeep dream. ?? :cheers:
If it was close, no problem. But buying a fiction item 1500 miles away is defiantly a HUGE RISK.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 19, 2017, 12:13:54 PM
Yes, I found my Jeep. I don't want to pay unless it's in my hands , But I understand, being in a sellers situation of getting ripped off.
If it was close, no problem. But buying a fiction item 1500 miles away is defiantly a HUGE RISK.

Hook your trailer to your truck and go get the Jeep.

Done.

Lennard

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on November 19, 2017, 12:37:59 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 19, 2017, 12:13:54 PM

Hook your trailer to your truck and go get the Jeep.

Done.

Agreed, action/effort is required when making your dreams come true.

birdsandbees

Yep.. working on trailer logistics right now for a drive from Ontario to Calgary Alberta. I've made the guy take enough pictures he wouldn't have "had on hand" to know the vehicle exists and even figured out where it's in heated storage East of the City. Money in pocket and the drive might start by weeks end. Only 36 hours there.. and 36 hours back!  :yesnod:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

RECHRGD

If you're going to carry a bunch of cash be careful.  Maybe take a friend with you or have the seller meet you at a bank.  You're in Canada so packing any kind of firearm is probably not an option.......
13.53 @ 105.32

ACUDANUT

I carry a gun most of the time (my job)... My concern is paying for a Fake car that does not exist. I can't take off 3 days to go inspect it and bring it home.  Hey anybody in Orlando Florida here ?

ACUDANUT

I think I just answered my own question.  Find someone go to look at it.  :cheers:

moparguy01

I work for an auto appraisal company. Believe it or not, MOST of my work is Pre-purchase inspections. I do get some appraisal jobs for insurance purposes, bank loans, divorces, etc, but mostly Pre-Purchase. I've looked at cars for people on the other side of the country, and in the case of one tomorrow, I'm inspecting a car for a guy in England. This way the buyer gets an unbiased review of the car from a third party, and you know for a fact the car does exist since someone had to PHYSICALLY see it.

It is an option.

I did not mention the name of the company as I do not intend for this to be a plug. I feel it's a good idea to see any car you buy before agreeing to buy it. I've been burned a couple times myself off pictures from the seller.

68X426

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,129972.msg1616559.html#msg1616559

I've been very pleased with AAG.  I don't know if moparguy01 takes assignments thru AAG, but I will make a plug for them.  An inspection has worked out great.  The friend involved was saved a fortune by not buying a car based on the facts of their inspection.  Then made a great purchase based on the facts on another car.

Each inspection was 2500 miles away and worth every penny.

:Twocents:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

moparguy01

Quote from: 68X426 on November 20, 2017, 12:35:19 AM

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,129972.msg1616559.html#msg1616559

I've been very pleased with AAG.  I don't know if moparguy01 takes assignments thru AAG, but I will make a plug for them.  An inspection has worked out great.  The friend involved was saved a fortune by not buying a car based on the facts of their inspection.  Then made a great purchase based on the facts on another car.

Each inspection was 2500 miles away and worth every penny.

:Twocents:

Yes, I work for AAG.

moparstuart

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 19, 2017, 09:45:41 PM
I carry a gun most of the time (my job)... My concern is paying for a Fake car that does not exist. I can't take off 3 days to go inspect it and bring it home.  Hey anybody in Orlando Florida here ?
Moderator steve here  i paid him to go look at a car for me in florida   , he bought it for me and made sure it got on the transport .   But im a nice guy   :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Fitz73Chrgr

I bought my '70 from a member on here.  The car was 1800 miles from where I live.  I paid for an inspection from a 3rd party and did quite a bit of internet creeping on the seller as well as his residence until I was comfortable with who the seller was and knew exactly where he lived.  There are also 3rd party companies, often the same company that does inspections, that will take the money from the buyer and hold it until the car is received from the seller, at which point the 3rd party pays the seller.  The seller, of course, must be comfortable with this type of transaction. 

Of course, the safest way is to go get the car yourself.  You can avoid carrying cash by doing a bank transfer on the spot.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

fastmark

I've sold lots of cars on the internet and I feel it's my responsibility as a honest seller to make the buyer feel as comfortable as possible with the sale. Before the internet, I would send a video tape to the person showing all aspects of the car or part,both good and bad. They know what they are getting before they leave the house. Every car I've sold, the buyer left very happy with the car. If it was shipped, they called me back the same way.

ACUDANUT

Well the Jeep is all taken apart and does not roll. I would have to pay extra to have this wreck loaded on a car trailer, then hauled to KC. BTW, the Jeep is in Tampa Bay area.
Sounds like I might pass on this deal.

charger_fan_4ever

Ive bought plenty of snowmobiles and parts sight unseen went by pics and sellers word. Had my buddy look at it when he bought it and it was a pig with lipstick. He pulled a fast one on buddy.

This pick up was the one onroad vehicle i bought sight unseen. Paid 14k for an at best 8k truck. The kid knew it was going to be driven across country and sold it with a burnt injection pump.

Lesson learned there. Never again