News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb spacer

Started by Paul G, November 20, 2017, 09:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

I picked up a 1" open spacer at a swap meet this weekend. It is used, has a vacuum port on it, and made from billet aluminum. I have seen them used on engine builds on TV, shows like Horsepower and such. They show power improvement each time they are used. But, how about in the real world?

I cleaned it up and installed it on the 49 Plymouth. There is so much room under the hood of this car that I really wanted the spacer more for aesthetics than performance. It is a little 318 engine, makes super oil pressure so I assume it was rebuilt, runs really well. I don't know much about the engine other than it runs well. It has an Eddy RPM 318/340/360 intake on it with a hacked Holley SA 670 carb.

Surprisingly the engine seems to run a bit better with the spacer. It has a manual 4spd trans. Off idle seems to be a bit stronger now, and smoother overall. Not bad for a $3 investment.   
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

firefighter3931

Spacers are combination dependant but generally speaking ; open spacers work good with dual plane intake manifolds and increase plenum volume. A 4 hole spacer works well on a single plane by increasing signal to the boosters which sharpens throttle response.

If it runs and feels better I'd say you did good for a $3 investment !  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs