News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Head gaskets and fasteners

Started by metallicareload99, November 21, 2017, 04:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metallicareload99

I'm looking for suggestions for head gaskets and fasteners.

69 440 block
.030 over forged TRW pistons (L2355F30) 2.061 compression height
Machine shop says 0.024 down piston to deck clearance. I measured closer to 0.021 with a straight edge and a feeler gauge...
TrickFlow 240 heads with TrickFlow branded ARP made head bolts. I have been using Cometic 0.027 thickness head gaskets.

While this has all worked great so far, I'm not sure if I need to be using head gaskets that thin? The Cometics seem to leave a bit of an imprint on the heads that I don't like. I have been considering using something like a Fel-Pro 1009. My main concern is mainting the "quench" effect. The 0.048 to 0.051 piston to head clearance, while larger than what is supposed to be ideal, seems to still be in effect?

Also aside from costs, is there any reason not to use head studs?

Thanks for any help
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

heyoldguy

The 1009 head gasket will also leave a deep impression on your aluminum head. It has a pre-flattened wire ring that will brinnell the aluminum head surface. I use the Fel Pro 8519PT1 standard blue gasket to 12:1 compression and 780 HP and have never had them fail. Head studs are nice, though it seems to me that I once had a set of headers that hit the bottom row of studs. But that was a long time ago, and I don't remember the exact circumstances.

metallicareload99

Quote from: heyoldguy on November 22, 2017, 11:23:47 AM
The 1009 head gasket will also leave a deep impression on your aluminum head. It has a pre-flattened wire ring that will brinnell the aluminum head surface. I use the Fel Pro 8519PT1 standard blue gasket to 12:1 compression and 780 HP and have never had them fail. Head studs are nice, though it seems to me that I once had a set of headers that hit the bottom row of studs. But that was a long time ago, and I don't remember the exact circumstances.

Thanks for the info!

This is the second time I've heard of headers hitting the bottom row of studs.
I never would have thought the Fel-Pros would leave an impression also. Fel-Pro 8519 has always worked for me, but the reason I went with Cometic is to achieve some of the "quench" effect. I thought my piston to deck clearance was too much to run a 0.039 head gasket

Thanks again

c00nhunterjoe

Blue ones failed us on the 572. 13.7:1 at 820 horse. Burned block and head.

metallicareload99

Thanks for the info! I'm nowhere near the compression you guys are running, nor the power. My plan is to use .027 Cometics again, and I have the head studs now.

I used studs with blue loctite to hold down the rocker shafts. I installed the studs finger tight, then torqued the shafts down before the loctite "dried/cured."

That is more or less the recommended procedure included in the instructions that came with the studs. I plan to chase the holes for the heads with a tap, turn the block over and clean out the holes. Clean the studs off, dry and then install with some blue loctite and then torque the heads on.

Should there should be any oil in the bolt holes or on the studs, so the loctite can work without interference? The instructions also said I don't have to use loctite. In that case should I use oil on the threads? Obviously I have never installed head studs before. Any more advice, tips, or tricks would be appreciated

c00nhunterjoe

I dont use loctite on them and have never had a problem. Oiled and torqued

metallicareload99

My understanding is that the torque and stretching of the stud is what keeps them tight. Loctite isn't required

Challenger340

IMO, there are many, many misconceptions around the "accepted" .050" as optimum quench distance for ALL Engines ?

All I will say is this... and again here in my opinion only....
I would not sweat whatsoever, exceeding the 4.000" Bore "optimum" quench distance of .050", with a thicker Head Gasket on a 4.320" 440 Mopar Wedge Bore Dimension, let be a 4.375" or 4.500" Bore Wedge example ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

metallicareload99

Quote from: Challenger340 on January 17, 2018, 12:33:16 PM
IMO, there are many, many misconceptions around the "accepted" .050" as optimum quench distance for ALL Engines ?

All I will say is this... and again here in my opinion only....
I would not sweat whatsoever, exceeding the 4.000" Bore "optimum" quench distance of .050", with a thicker Head Gasket on a 4.320" 440 Mopar Wedge Bore Dimension, let be a 4.375" or 4.500" Bore Wedge example ?

Thanks for the information, that gives me more options to choose from. I thought I was constrained to the thin head gaskets

BSB67

I would call optimum as close as you can get without touching and that is certainly closer than 0.050".  The question is what is optimum worth , and what is it worth to you.

If I was in your place, I would put it back together just the way it was, and not worry about the brinelling of the head surface. 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph