News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Adjustable Pinion Snubber too tall?

Started by richf, November 21, 2017, 04:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richf

I recently bought this adjustable pinion snubber, but it is much too large to fit on the car, even at its lowest setting the rubber bumpstop is too large, hitting the floor and preventing the snubber from fitting onto the centersection.  One can see it is a lot taller than the stock snubber, as are all the other aftermarket adjustable pinion snubbers. So my question is, do any of these snubbers fit on a B body without cutting the bumpstop height in half? Or perhaps shortening the male shaft of the adjustable snubber?
1968 Charger 318/904 project
1985 Suzuki Madura GV700
2007 Ford Crown Victoria P71

Poor college student

timmycharger

I believe it depends on your springs. I run super stock springs and was able to use a Mopar adjustable pinion snubber w/o cutting it up.  Are you running stock springs? If so then you may have to modify it as you suggest.  :Twocents:

richf

Quote from: timmycharger on November 21, 2017, 04:18:47 PM
I believe it depends on your springs. I run super stock springs and was able to use a Mopar adjustable pinion snubber w/o cutting it up.  Are you running stock springs? If so then you may have to modify it as you suggest.  :Twocents:

I have the stock springs, so assuming the snubber is supposed to be about 1"-2" away from the floor would you say the SS springs gave you 2 inches or so of lift?  I have considered those springs, but I'm more likely to go with Firm Feel handling leaves, or perhaps Hyperco fiberglass leaves.
1985 Suzuki Madura GV700

Poor college student

timmycharger

If your stock springs are worn the gap would be even smaller in there in my opinion. I think 2 inches is a close estimate to how much more lift I have than stock, its difficult to say now since the springs are now close to 20 years old. I am running a stock snubber now since my car doesn't see the track like it used to.

HPP

Stock, OEM XHD, oval track, Hotchkis or other low arch springs will require modifications of the snubber to get proper height. In my experience, its takes a shortening of both the female and male ends to fit a stock sprung car.

sccachallenger

Quote from: HPP on November 22, 2017, 10:46:25 AM
Stock, OEM XHD, oval track, Hotchkis or other low arch springs will require modifications of the snubber to get proper height. In my experience, its takes a shortening of both the female and male ends to fit a stock sprung car.

Yep me too! Put it in a vise cut BOTH pieces, leave the rubber unaltered.
Since my car was so low, I'd wait 'till I got to the track and swap it for the stock snubber.

richf

Hmm alright I suppose I'll wait till I buy new leaves before I put it on, so I can see how much to cut it
1985 Suzuki Madura GV700

Poor college student

Ghoste

Yeah, that was the part they never told you when they started to promote using that pinion snubber, that it was designed for use with the Super Stock springs.  I have one of those threaded ones now and it fits a lot better.