News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trailering your car without "rash"

Started by birdsandbees, November 24, 2017, 09:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdsandbees

Ordered on November 20th and they told me 8 weeks for it to be built and shipped up from Indiana. Got the call Friday afternoon that it was in and ready to go, but weather had us delayed until today to make the 4.5 hour drive each way to get it. Someone screwed up and gave me a free door window and screen door that I didn't order. Allows an amazing amount of light in, yet you can't see through the window... and the screen door will be great for bug free camping when the wife's had enough of me !  :yesnod:

8.5 x 24 with Dexter 5200 lb torsion axles in spread configuration. Trailer built a foot higher than standard so I can get things like an A100 in there or Airplane fuselages on wheels.

I've never towed a trailer that ran this smooth. No sway and most importantly no "kidney kicks" on bumps. Now to find the time to dress it out correctly with some floor, E tracks on the walls... I have an 8000 lb winch already to install and some cabinets, but for now back on my car.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

69rtse4spd

Nice, what part of Indiana was it built in. :2thumbs:.

birdsandbees

It's an Atlas..  Elkhart, IN! Probably why they use Dexter axles.. they're there too!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

garner7555

Quote from: Lennard on December 07, 2017, 02:00:36 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 07, 2017, 01:13:46 PM
Not if the chassis is blocked to eliminate suspension movement like i do with the race cars.
We weren't talking about transporting race cars with fragile/sensitive shocks and expensive suspension parts.

This is not the only reason you don't want suspension movement.  When you hold the car by the tires, every bump you hit in the road causes the 4000lb car (Sometimes I hauled 10,000lb trucks which is even more severe) to bounce up and down in it's suspension travel.  This can cause the car to slide around on the trailer or in a severe case it will break the straps.  I have owned two rollbacks, one two car wedge trailer and a 3 car wedge trailer.  (I was a used car dealer)   I use chain hooks that are made for cars, they go directly into the frame, therefore they compress the suspension which is far superior to just putting straps over the tires.   I'm not saying that straps over the tires doesn't work, I'm just saying there are better ways.   :Twocents:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

69rtse4spd

Quote from: birdsandbees on January 25, 2018, 10:15:51 PM
It's an Atlas..  Elkhart, IN! Probably why they use Dexter axles.. they're there too!

About 1.5 hours North of me, thanks.

bill440rt

A little late to the party.

I used to use the D-rings in the floor of the trailer. The front tie downs were regular ratchet straps with separate loops that went around lower control arms. I didn't want to just hook the straps into the K-frame because it would have torn up the paint. The rears again had separate loop axle straps, with these cool super-soft sheepskin covers around them. Both front & rear tie downs were crossed to keep the car secure. It used to take forever to tie the car down, but it was secure.

That was years ago, I since installed an E-track in the floor & went with tire straps. My straps actually cradle the tire on top, instead of a single strap around the tire. After maybe 10-15 minutes of trailering & always stop to check & tighten a bit more. The car doesn't move and is very secure. Plus no cosmetic damage to the painted undercarriage parts.
I've seen all the big name car transporters using tire straps as well.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

birdsandbees

Wife told me last night that she bought something a few towns (40 miles) over on the Buy and Sell last night and needed my truck to go fetch it. Gals got a heart of gold I'll tell ya. Somewhere for her to sit while I'm loading or working on the car. Perfect fit in the trailer and I think I'll mount them with a quick release bracket somehow so they can be moved around when the car is not in the trailer.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

taxspeaker

Since it is still "ready for finishing" have you thought about built in 6" high drive on ramps on each side? Gives you extra clearance underneath to tie down and/or work on the car.

We also wired 12 volt LED lights & LED movable spots inside that will aim in or outside with a battery on/off switch. Then my buddy Mike mounted our winch so that it is removable and we can transfer it back and forth between our old open trailer and the enclosed trailer. We put in steel cross frames under the floor and bolted them to the frame so that they were completely secure yet removable. Finally, we built in a removable tool box with assorted needed tools for repairs. Home Depot had a sale on a nice roller box for $99 and my son built a hinged frame to hold it in place while driving while he was doing the lighting. Finally, we have a Goal Zero Yeti portable battery supply that converts to 110 and 12 volt and gives us backup for the 2 permanently mounted car batteries. We have them linked to 2 cheap solar trickle chargers.

We bolted 4 new D-links to the floor after also bolting in steel mounts tied to the frame with bolts, and 4 of those e-bracket floor tie downs the same way so that anything can be tied anywhere. Finally, we undercoated the trailer and the beaver tail door to hopefully extend the life of the wood. With the extra weight in the v-nose from the tools, toolbox and spare and fluids we actually can center the car over the axles for a real good weight distribution.

I wish I had ordered a little better trailer like the one you have-the side escape door is a real handy thing, particularly as you get older and wider. We have tried to order a door kit from someone but no luck and we are in Indiana. We have hauled the Daytona from New York to Indiana, the Superbird from Chicago to Louisville without problem. Tell your wife good catch on those seats!

Bob

DixieRestoParts

Very Cool! I'm going to use this thread for ideas when I purchase my next trailer. 
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

birdsandbees

Thanks Bob. I had considered ramps, but my Bee sits high enough to open a car door right out the escape door. The Bird, probably not and would need a little lift help to do so, I think about 1.5" is all it needs. Still mussing about using Etrack and tire straps on the floor, so I don't have to crawl underneath to x ratchet straps. Also need to keep the trailer multi car friendly, as we have other stuff that's not B body length and width as well.

Currently researching floor ideas.. paint, bed liner, rubber floor, etc but too much going on right now to get at it and it's toooo cold to do anything anyhow. Still have to touch up the flaws in the factory frame undercoat (they shipped me the DOM16 to do it), may give the wood a paint and then I'm going to Krown the entire thing.

I already have a winch for it, just have to build the attachment plate for it and I'm going to make the guide roller movable so I can peg it in if need be back at the load door.... to pull something over from an angle to center on the door.

Need to do a bit of light rewiring, since the interior only work if my truck is running which as asinine. I'll be redoing charging circuits for the winch battery anyhow, so will swing interior lights over to it vs the break away battery. Also adding some lights down low and I picked out my tool and storage boxes at Home Depot long ago. Just waiting to see how much spare room I have and how much I want to use up.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

ACUDANUT

I trailered my 70 Charger from San Diego to KC and had no road rash. Open trailer.

birdsandbees

As I've shown here before.. I've done it for years myself!

With the brine shit on the roads now it's certainly not an option up here. After a bright.. sunny.. "dry" highway.. 400 mile drive this week I can't even tell my truck is dark blue it is so caked in brown road brine!  :brickwall:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

69rtse4spd

Thinking of buying a Badland 18,000 lb. winch for the equipment trailer, pros, cons, junk, what do you guys think. Any info will be greatly app. Have a 3500 lb. Superwinch on the car trailer now, no problems for the last 30 years but don't use it every day either. Thanks in advance.

taxspeaker

Here is Four Wheeler mag test of winches. The Harbor Freight Badlands winch was 6th of 7 tested and failed most tests.

69rtse4spd

Thanks, is true what they say, (you get what you pay for).

Trulyvintage

Badland 12K winch

I use mine to load & unload sometimes several times a day

Just used it today to unload a 1936 Cord Phaeton 810 Convertible
in Minneapolis, Minnesota

Never a problem - wireless remote is a big plus

Jim

Trulyvintage

Axle straps to the chassis or frame - secured with ratcheting nylon
straps - fastened to etrac surface mounted on my
double 3/4 " trailer floor - is how I secure all manner of automobiles in my enclosed trailer

Jim

69rtse4spd

Thanks, Trulyvintage, I see TSC stores have a 10,000lb Superwinch  on sell for 399.99, made in USA, or China, have to do more checking. Parts wise, superwinch might be better to get than badlands, but who knows. My info quest continues.

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on March 26, 2018, 07:57:56 PM
Thanks, Trulyvintage, I see TSC stores have a 10,000lb Superwinch  on sell for 399.99, made in USA, or China, have to do more checking. Parts wise, superwinch might be better to get than badlands, but who knows. My info quest continues.

For what it's worth, I purchased a Superwinch 5000lb rating with a lifetime warranty through Jegs. It failed and Superwinch was very hard to deal with on getting it replaced. Just poor customer service all around, seemed like a very disorganized company. The part that failed they claimed was not covered under the lifetime warranty, however, my warranty certificate did not specifically call out that part as not covered. I finally got Jeg's involved and after some back and forth they agreed with me that the item should be covered under warranty and they had Superwinch replace it.  Based on that experience, I would not recommend purchasing one. As they say, your mileage may vary.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

69rtse4spd

Looked at a Warn 10,000 & 12,000 lb out of Summit, leaning towards one of those.

6pkrtse

I gave the Badlands 12,000 a shot since I had 35% off coupon. It was like $250.00 with the additional cordless remote. Over a year old now & used it to load probably 15-20 cars so far over this year in my enclosed. So far so good. I have a Superwinch 3500 on my open trailer that has been on there for well over 20 years now. I bought this one for $100.00 off a guy I work with. It was brand new in the box. Best $100.00 I ever spent.

I know, a Camaro!!! I get stuck hauling all of my buddies junk also.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Ghoste

Sure does seem like there are a lot of trailers made in Indiana.

6pkrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on March 28, 2018, 08:06:45 AM
Sure does seem like there are a lot of trailers made in Indiana.

Yes, that is the home of most trailers. I worked down in Gary Indiana for several weeks before and there are several businesses right next door to each other, down the street from each other & across the street from each other all of the place. They are everywhere. It's almost like a food court but for trailers.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

69rtse4spd

Thanks for the info, I see HF has a 25% off sale for two days this Friday & Sat.