News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering column question

Started by 69wannabe, November 28, 2017, 08:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

I have been working on my buddy's charger for him 68/69 and the collar is flopping around something awful and I pulled the steering wheel and found the bolts are there and they were not in the slots of the other part below the collar. I can get that fixed no problem but what holds the part under the collar in place? It also moves some and it seems that even if I get the collar tight on that part it's still going to move and not stay in place.

I looked in my 69 service manual but it doesn't seem to show anything about this, Wanting to get this tightened up and not moving as you try to drive!! :brickwall:

And it's a console shifted car and not a column shift car by the way......

69wannabe

Figured out that the lower collar will move some, maybe I didn't get it locked in place or something but it doesn't hurt anything so it is in place at least anyway. Got the upper collar locked in to the column and got it good and tight so it's in place and got the bearing on the steering shaft and got the snap ring back on and it's locked in place now. All is good and tight and in line and nothing is binding or twisting with the steering wheel now, not as bad as I expected to get fixed anyway.