News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stolen Submerged SuperBird

Started by Dave Kanofsky, November 29, 2017, 11:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F8-4life

Something about the radical design of a wing car must have clicked with the crazies back in the day.

Bob Carter

My cousin Scott was the person who put that Lemon Twist Super bird in the pool and it's become a lot of fun joking about it over the years considering what these cars are valued at. Scott's father was close friends with the dealer that allowed Scott to trade his 442 for that Bird, back in the day you could take cars off the lot without registration or insurance and he was just a teenager at the time. Scott lived right around the corner from where the Super Bird landed in the pool and was headed home when this incident happened, there  is a long stretch of road that ends in a "T" where the pool is located (18th St.), Scott said he was going around 120 when the brakes failed so he began to downshift until he literally ran out of road and went through bushes ending up in the pool. The shot you see in the newspaper article is after the tow truck began pulling out the totally submerged bird. The bird actually went back to the dealership where they put it in a paint booth (heated) to dry it out then repaired and resold it. Last year I was able to put Scott in touch with the police officer who was there that night, oddly enough the officer now owns a Super Bird. I'm curious if Scott's Super bird still exists and if it does do the current owners know the history of it ?

PettyMower

Thanks for the update, Bob.

I was about to post the information about the color being Yellow.

Last night, I spoke with Larry (the police officer there that night), and he sold his 'Bird over 10-years ago.

Larry's 'Bird was a numbers-matching, Tor-Red, 440+4, automatic, console car. He swapped the engine for an NOS 1970 528 Hemi he found in Brazil. It was sold, along with the original engine, to a collector in Connecticut.

5hunert

Quote from: PettyMower on December 08, 2017, 06:02:40 PM
Latest news on the NEW Rowe Motors Superbird that was stolen and run into a reservoir.
(August 4, 1970)
Credit to father & son, Bill Wiley & Bash Wiley

A convertible with high back fins?  Stuart?

moparstuart

Quote from: 5hunert on December 11, 2017, 11:04:05 PM
Latest news on the NEW Rowe Motors Superbird that was stolen and run into a reservoir.
(August 4, 1970)

A convertible with high back fins?  Stuart?
I HAVE NEVER BEEN SUBMERGED   :icon_smile_big:   all you can see is the black vinyl top maybe they thought it was a convert  ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

odcics2

Quote from: moparstuart on December 12, 2017, 10:42:22 AM
Quote from: 5hunert on December 11, 2017, 11:04:05 PM
(August 4, 1970)

A convertible with high back fins?  Stuart?
I HAVE NEVER BEEN SUBMERGED   :icon_smile_big:   all you can see is the black vinyl top maybe they thought it was a convert  ?

Why not?  Some magazines back in the day said the nose was made of fiberglass!   :smilielol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

aerolith

They should have been made of FLUBBER... :slap:

I heard the local police chased them in, oops... :shruggy:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623