News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

REAL Daytona hood - has these 2 indents near the bottom. Anything else?

Started by odcics2, November 30, 2017, 01:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

I was asked about the differences between a 70 Charger hood and a real Daytona hood.

There are the 'lumps' near the front.   2 hood pin holes.
The 'scallops' near the bottom are small, like a 1969 hood.
Then there are the 2 indents, one on each side, near the bottom.

Anything else?     
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

odcics2

A383Wing

My 70 Charger hood had the structural "lumps" at the front on the underside...I had to remove them in order to get the hood to close correctly

odcics2

Quote from: A383Wing on November 30, 2017, 08:02:31 PM
My 70 Charger hood had the structural "lumps" at the front on the underside...I had to remove them in order to get the hood to close correctly

Latch tray in the way!

held1823

i think there is a difference in the small holes near the bottom as well?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

70 sublime

I have these 2 hoods
The one on the left has the crash ribs on the front and the hood blinker wiring holes
The one on the right  has no crash ribs and no wiring holes
Neither hood has the dents in the cross member closest to the hindges
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

held1823

the hole differences i referred to are clearly visible in your photo
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

odcics2

Need to see the scallops under the rubber seal, along the bottom edge of the two hoods pictured above .
70 hood is large, 69, and 69 1/2, is small.  

Any differences in the hoods you have, 70 sublime??

Would be cool to get some pics of 100% original Daytona survivor hoods of the details mentioned above.  :coolgleamA:

hemigeno

Taken yesterday, legit unrestored Daytona hood.  Today I pulled back some of the leftover hood pad insulation, and there is no hole for the turn signal wiring as I expected.  It's all smooth (I just didn't snap a picture of it yesterday with the camera).

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on December 01, 2017, 12:00:32 PM
Taken yesterday, legit unrestored Daytona hood.  Today I pulled back some of the leftover hood pad insulation, and there is no hole for the turn signal wiring as I expected.  It's all smooth (I just didn't snap a picture of it yesterday with the camera).

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, need that old hood any more Mr. Geno?   :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 01, 2017, 12:11:42 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, need that old hood any more Mr. Geno?   :icon_smile_big:

Actually, no.

I also spied a small locating(?) hole that did not appear to be on another photo of a '70 Charger hood I had...  see below.  Is this another '69-specific trait?

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

odcics2

Quote from: hemigeno on December 01, 2017, 12:00:32 PM

Here's a 70 Charger hood with the large scallops near the bottom. Note: it does not have the indents like hemigeno's photo of an original Daytona hood.   

hemigeno

Quote from: odcics2 on December 01, 2017, 02:30:26 PM

Here's a 70 Charger hood with the large scallops near the bottom.

I've seen '70 Charger hoods with small scallops though.  Interestingly enough, they had no holes for the turn signal wiring either but did have crash ribs up front.  

From what I've seen so far, there are at least 3, if not 4, versions of '70 Charger hood stampings (apart from what MAY be the '69-Daytona-only pattern)
    1.  No crash ribs, no turn signal holes, (unknown rear scallop size, but I'm guessing small scallops), no indentations near hinges
    2.  Crash ribs, no turn signal holes, small rear scallops, no indentations near hinges
    3.  Crash ribs, turn signal holes, large rear scallops, no indentations near hinges

There's 1 or two other ideas I have about possible differences, but haven't had a chance to properly research them yet.

A383Wing

Dodge Don can shed more light on the wiring holes (or lack of) in the 70 hoods.....I think the early 70 hoods didn't have the turn signal wiring holes

odcics2

Quote from: hemigeno on December 01, 2017, 03:31:54 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on December 01, 2017, 02:30:26 PM

Here's a 70 Charger hood with the large scallops near the bottom.

I've seen '70 Charger hoods with small scallops though.  Interestingly enough, they had no holes for the turn signal wiring either but did have crash ribs up front.  

From what I've seen so far, there are at least 3, if not 4, versions of '70 Charger hood stampings (apart from what MAY be the '69-Daytona-only pattern)
    1.  No crash ribs, no turn signal holes, (unknown rear scallop size, but I'm guessing small scallops), no indentations near hinges
    2.  Crash ribs, no turn signal holes, small rear scallops, no indentations near hinges
    3.  Crash ribs, turn signal holes, large rear scallops, no indentations near hinges

There's 1 or two other ideas I have about possible differences, but haven't had a chance to properly research them yet.

Looks like a Daytona only hood has: indents near hinges, small rear scallops, no crash ribs, no signal holes...

70 sublime

I moved a bunch of junk so I could get a picture of the bottom of my hood

odcics2

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 01, 2017, 10:05:21 PM

What size are the scallops along the bottom edge?

70 sublime

Quote from: odcics2 on December 02, 2017, 09:54:30 AM

I pulled the rubber off the bottom edge and took some pictures
I have to resize the pictures so I can post them later this evening when I have time
Will you be able to post a picture of that same area on a real Daytona hood ?

Davtona

Jeez seems like this stuff was a big secret the last time we discussed it here. Guess its out in the open now. Shot of another real unrestored Daytona hood. The scallops are 1.9 " long at the bottom and 2.7 inches long where they blend in at top. So far I have not found Geno's locating hole in it. I wondered if you still had that hood Gene.

odcics2

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 02, 2017, 10:02:59 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on December 02, 2017, 09:54:30 AM

I pulled the rubber off the bottom edge and took some pictures
I have to resize the pictures so I can post them later this evening when I have time
Will you be able to post a picture of that same area on a real Daytona hood ?

First photos on this thread are of a real Daytona hood...
The size of the scallops along the bottom edge are easily seen.   Small compared to a 1970 Charger hood.

odcics2

Quote from: Davtona on December 02, 2017, 11:14:02 AM

Jeez seems like this stuff was a big secret the last time we discussed it here. Guess its out in the open now. Shot of another real unrestored Daytona hood. The scallops are 1.9 " long at the bottom and 2.7 inches long where they blend in at top. So far I have not found Geno's locating hole in it. I wondered if you still had that hood Gene.

Photo posted shows an indent.
The scallops are along the bottom, usually obscured by the rubber seal. 

:cheers:

Davtona

Quote from: odcics2 on December 02, 2017, 12:43:45 PM

The scallops are along the bottom, usually obscured by the rubber seal.  

Here are a couple more pics without the rear hood seal. I might be missing exactly where the scallops are.  :shruggy:  Go figure!!   :lol:  I need to dig out a regular 70 Charger hood and compare the 2 side by side close up.