News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why is the Dodge Charger an inch longer than a satellite or a cornet

Started by Kevinz3451, November 30, 2017, 11:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevinz3451

I've been looking for parts for my charger it's a 69 and I noticed almost all the parts including the floors and frame rails interchange with the satellite and the cornet but the charger has 117 on the wheelbase and they only have 116 where does the charger get the extra inch at  :shruggy: I'm just curious it must be something simple I'm just overlooking it

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Kevinz3451 on November 30, 2017, 11:36:52 PM
I've been looking for parts for my charger it's a 69 and I noticed almost all the parts including the floors and frame rails interchange with the satellite and the cornet but the charger has 117 on the wheelbase and they only have 116 where does the charger get the extra inch at  :shruggy: I'm just curious it must be something simple I'm just overlooking it

Front leaf spring perch, it locates the rear axle rearward 1" to increase the wheelbase, as to why this was done?, who knows? marketing I suspect?, but Plymouths were usually shorter in WB than their Dodge counter parts over the years, except the 3rd gen (71-up) B bodies they share the same 115" WB in regards to 2dr models

Mike DC

The 1970-74 E-bodies had a difference in the unibody itself.  Challengers were 2 inches longer than 'Cudas in the backseat floor area.

HPP

Dodge was supposed to be a higher grade car in the overall marketplace, so they tended to do things to improve image, ride, noise, etc on Dodges that they may not have performed on Plymouths.

5hunert

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 02, 2017, 03:06:46 PM

The 1970-74 E-bodies had a difference in the unibody itself.  Challengers were 2 inches longer than 'Cudas in the backseat floor area.

and that 2 inches pretty much doubled the backseat leg room of a 'Cuda.