News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

REAL Daytona hood - has these 2 indents near the bottom. Anything else?

Started by odcics2, November 30, 2017, 01:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1RareBird

[/quote]

Looks like a Daytona only hood has: indents near hinges, small rear scallops, no crash ribs, no signal holes...

[/quote]

You must have a good eye to have noticed those indents and that they aren't on any other hood.
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Dodge Don

My 70 hood is missing the turn signal wiring routing holes....unusual for a 70 hood.

wingcar builder

Are my pics of my Ray Elder Daytona hood still floatin around? someone post them I haven't figured out how to post pics yet since PB got greedy.

odcics2

Quote from: wingcar builder on December 02, 2017, 05:35:27 PM
Are my pics of my Ray Elder Daytona hood still floatin around? someone post them I haven't figured out how to post pics yet since PB got greedy.

No problem, buddy.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

70 sublime

So when I took my other pictures of my hood I pulled the rubber seal off the back edge to take these pictures
Just resized them to post
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

70 sublime

So is my understanding this is what a Daytona factory hood looks like ?

odcics2

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 02, 2017, 08:16:18 PM
So is my understanding this is what a Daytona factory hood looks like ?

A better pic would be helpful, but the small scallops are there.

Davtona

Off topic here a little bit but:

So with all the discussion on the Daytona only hood quirks it got me to thinking. I've never used any AMD panels or any other repo metal but how close to original shape and form are they. For instance floor pans, or inner fender wells. Are there differences between original metal and reproduction metal in the bends, depth of grove punches say on a floor pan. I got to believe they are not exact and someone who knew what to look for could pick out repo metal from original metal easily.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Davtona on December 04, 2017, 09:27:20 PM

So with all the discussion on the Daytona only hood quirks it got me to thinking. I've never used any AMD panels or any other repo metal but how close to original shape and form are they. For instance floor pans, or inner fender wells. Are there differences between original metal and reproduction metal in the bends, depth of grove punches say on a floor pan. I got to believe they are not exact and someone who knew what to look for could pick out repo metal from original metal easily.

While some of the repro metal may not be exact, the mere fact that something is available is a blessing, hunting for NOS, clean original is a thing of the past for most, not to mention the price gouge of NOS/original sheetmetal, what may have taken years to amass for a project is now a click/PH call away, only the most anal will insist on OEM/NOS for refurbishment

odcics2

Quote from: DAY CLONA on December 05, 2017, 05:36:41 AM

While some of the repro metal may not be exact, the mere fact that something is available is a blessing, hunting for NOS, clean original is a thing of the past for most, not to mention the price gouge of NOS/original sheetmetal, what may have taken years to amass for a project is now a click/PH call away, only the most anal will insist on OEM/NOS for refurbishment

There are still a few of us that go the extra mile to do it correctly.  

Someone has to set the bar.  

Why bust our balls on various threads?   :shruggy:

FJMG

I do not know how many had hood mounted signal indicators but if there were no holes for the wire, I wonder how creative ran the wire?
Leave wire disconnected for first few cars?
Run under insulation pad if so equipped?
Drill hole? (I doubt it but I have not seen them all)
Did any of the hoods shipped to creative come with signal lights? Or none to simplify manufacturing?

Mopar John

The Daytona hoods and front fenders have been of interest to me for years.
I would say at least 1/3 of the surviving Daytonas have 1970 Charger hoods in one form or another.
Even the top of the pyramid 426 HEMI 4 speed that David Spade bought has a 1970 Charger hood.
The original hood was modified with a scoop early on and then removed at restoration.
Most common is to remove the ribs up front and call it a day.
My first two pictures show a close up of the indents and then an overall of the area on my original Daytona hood.

My last picture shows a close up in the front of a stamped recessed area on an original Daytona hood.
This area may not be the same either on a 1970 Charger hood?
I have seen this area evened out when the ribs are removed.
I would like to see a close up of this area on a 1970 Charger hood with an unmodified rib panel.
MJ

70 sublime

Quote from: FJMG on December 05, 2017, 12:18:25 PM
I do not know how many had hood mounted signal indicators but if there were no holes for the wire, I wonder how creative ran the wire?
Did any of the hoods shipped to creative come with signal lights? Or none to simplify manufacturing?

My hood does not have the holes cut into the webbing for the turn signals wires but it has a row of these clips instead

A383Wing

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 05, 2017, 12:52:13 PM
Quote from: FJMG on December 05, 2017, 12:18:25 PM

My hood does not have the holes cut into the webbing for the turn signals wires but it has a row of these clips instead

correct, if the hood did not have the turn signal wire holes in the webbing, the wire was run along the outside of the webbing with the little wire clips that pushed into the pin holes

alfaitalia

I will freely admit to having pretty limited Charger bodywork knowledge compared to many on here but there seems to be quite a bit of variation even on the factory parts (the hoods in this thread for example). In the few original and nos floors and doors I've seen there is variation in the depth of floor strengthening ridges, hole positioning and door scallops...a couple of old doors I've seen had the scallops extending over and inch further back than mine. My left door indent starts very slightly further back from the A pillar than the one on my right door too! Can't beat that late sixties build quality!

....anyway ....BOT!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Davtona

Quote from: Mopar John on December 05, 2017, 12:37:13 PM

I would like to see a close up of this area on a 1970 Charger hood with an unmodified rib panel.
MJ

Here you go John. Shot of a unmolested 70 Charger hood in that area.

odcics2

Quote from: Davtona on December 05, 2017, 09:17:08 PM

MJ

What about the indents near the front, on each side?  Any differences there between an original Daytona hood and a 70 Charger hood?   I assume the various 70 hoods would have to be investigated. 
John - can you post of yours?

Mopar John

MJ

Thanks Dave!
It looks like they are the same in that area.
So the hoods that I have seen with the ribs removed didn't include the recessed area in the NEW panel.
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: odcics2 on December 06, 2017, 08:45:05 AM

MJ

What about the indents near the front, on each side?  Any differences there between an original Daytona hood and a 70 Charger hood?   I assume the various 70 hoods would have to be investigated. 
John - can you post of yours?
Greg,
Here are some pictures of the bottom of my Daytona hood near the front.
MJ

alfaitalia

Interesting....I assume those stretch/stress marks are factory.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

odcics2

Yes, factory. Here's a 70 hood. Looks more crisp.