News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Value of a C500 that needs a major restoration.

Started by EMF, April 29, 2006, 07:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMF

I inquired about restoration shops recently and got some info. on having my C500 restored. Prices were high, which I expected.  One shop  offered to buy the car in as is condition. The car is in rough shape needing a complete restoration to the entire car. Rust is a major issue and everything else needs to be rebuilt. The car is a 440 auto with p/s, p/b, console and a vinyl top. The shop wants to know what I want to get for the car. I have seen what these cars go for restored, but what is something like mine worth in the poor condition it is in now?  I would like to keep it and see it through to the end, but on the other hand I have to be realistic about that possibility not becoming a reality. I need a general estimate of its value now ( I dont have any pictures of it now. Thats what I have to get for the body shop.)  so I can give the body shop an answer if I choose to sell it to them. Thanks.

BigBlockSam

i don't know about it's value but send me some pics and i might be intrested in the car. i won't be looking to flip it either like a bodyshop. i would keep it and restore it. Peace Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemigeno

This is a '69 Charger 500?

If you know the details could you share what the story is behind the Vinyl Top? 

I couldn't really say what the value might be w/o pictures, especially of the structural areas.  Rust in the lower quarters and maybe the fenders is no big deal to fix, but a car that's ate-up is a whole different story.

EMF

It is a 69 500.  Rust is in lower quarters, lower fenders, trunk floor, r/s frame rail, drivers foor pan, rear valance, trunk lid and around window plug. The vinyl top was installed at the dealer as per owner I purchased it from. The chrome for it is in the back seat. The car is silver with a black interior. Getting pictures may be difficult. I am new to using the computer and not sure on how to post pictures.

Daytona R/T SE

Where are you? Maybe one of us could come and look at it...

The last C500 I saw sell that was in rough shape was several years ago.  This car had rust similar to what you speak of with rust in the floors, trunk and quarters.  I beleive the frame was solid.  The roof had been cut off and a standard charger roof was put in place and needed to be finished.  A rear window plug was not included.  The car was in pieces but basically complete.  The car sold in the neighborhood of $5000.  Keep in mind this was about 4 years ago. 

Now if I was you I wouldn't sell but I think with current prices I don't think 15K is unreasonable.  However, I am by no means an expert in aero cars and I generally tend to be off in my guessing.   
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

PocketThunder

Its sounds like you have the exact same car that i have right now right down to the Vinyl Top.   Its a #6 condition rust bucket.  I paid $15,000 for my car just over two years ago (dec 03).  Its probably gone up to $20,000+ in value now, but thats my (probably biased) opinion.  Here are some pics of it for you to see.

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

69_500

Without photo's its difficult to place a value on the car in my opinion. Project 500's that I've followed over the past 3-4 years have ranged in price from $10,000 to $50K. Although one of those was a HEMI 4 speed car.

Would love to add any information about your 500 to my list if you wouldn't mind either. Also there is a 69 Charger registry that Chris runs.

So far I have information on 225 Charger 500's.

EMF

The condition of my car looks exactly like the one Pocket Thunder has. The parts car I have is much worse. I live in the Northern N.Y. Thanks for all the info. I will try to post pictures if I can figure it out. I am just trying to weigh all my options at this point.   

69_500

I live in Indianapolis, always love meeting other 500 owners in the region. How long have you had the car?

EMF

I would have to say about 15 + years. The funny thing is I went out to  Indiana (Muncie) to purchase the car. The other 500 I got out of a N.Y. state junkyard. I have bought, fixed and sold many in the past. I still retain these two, plus a 69 r/t, 69 r/tse and a 70 r/tse. Everything slowed down when the house and kids came along. I never made any money off the ones I sold, but never meant to. I love the cars for what they are. Things have changed since I was current in the hobby. I am still hoping to get back into it to some extent.     

69_500

Ah so you have 2 500's now then? One out of a junkyard in New York, and then the silver one.

Fine collection you have there.

Nothing wrong with having the cars for the love of them. I would hang on to my 500 even if it wasn't worth $20. I just love the 500's and Daytona's and alwways will no matter how high or low their prices are.

XXHEMI

EMF

is the car you got out of the junkyard gold?

Charger1973

you have a c500 parts car?  i think it should be brought back if at all possible..  id love to have one

69_500

I was going to ask him the same question Ed.

Wingcars had told me about a gold 500 in a junkyard up that way that came up for sale here a few years back.

That or is it possibly F8 green, I have information on an F8 green 500 that was in a junkyard in that area of the US as well.

EMF

The parts car is gold with a white painted top. It was purchased out of an upstate N.Y. junkyard about 15 + years ago, about the same time the silver one was purchased. The junkyard owner stated that the car had Conn. plates on it and that the owner blew up the engine on I 84 and it was towed to the junkyard in the late 70s where it rested until I purchased it. I know of a person named ED in this area. He has a few really nice mopars. He knows about the cars and so do a few others in the area. I believe someone already has the Vin. #s on file.

hemi68charger

Quote from: EMF on April 30, 2006, 08:37:42 PM
The parts car is gold with a white painted top. It was purchased out of an upstate N.Y. junkyard about 15 + years ago, about the same time the silver one was purchased. The junkyard owner stated that the car had Conn. plates on it and that the owner blew up the engine on I 84 and it was towed to the junkyard in the late 70s where it rested until I purchased it. I know of a person named ED in this area. He has a few really nice mopars. He knows about the cars and so do a few others in the area. I believe someone already has the Vin. #s on file.

Hello from another C500 owner, like Pocket, a T7 Bronze version.. I believe we know the Ed you're referring to....  Welcome aboard the C500 world.......... Sounds like you have one, if not two, possible cool, albeit, intense projects....... I remember seeing a rear quarter for sale one from a silver C500....... I know of one other A4 C500, here in Houston, a hemi 4-speed that is now B5...

Hang out here and you'll get all the help you could ever need........

But, back to your original question.. Yes, it's going to expensive. But, if you have a body shop that'll work with you, you could possibly do things in intervals.. You do all the teardown and deliver them a shell. Work on a little here, bring it back home so it's safe and not taking up their production space and then take it back again when funds allow.... Just know, once she's gone, it's hard to replace her........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

XXHEMI is probably the same Ed that your refering to there EMF.

Do you know of Rick Edwards? He is also in Kentucky, and he also has a few project 500's. I've known Rick since I was a kid. Great guy. Will talk your ear off though.

XXHEMI

Quote from: EMF on April 30, 2006, 08:37:42 PM

Mike

I thought you where done restoring cars(as was I) Buy the way thanks alot pocket for the A pillar molding after a year and half of searching!
Ed

nascarxx29

I looked at a pair of 69 charger 500s in .Suffern NY many years ago.One was silver .Other was Gold with white painted top .And I heard it was found and taken out of a junkyard that had foreign cars.Dont know that for a fact myself personally .Thats what I was told
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

Ah so paul did hook you up with the A pillar piece you needed Ed? Good to hear

Hope to see that R6 500 at a show or two in the future.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69_500 on May 02, 2006, 06:57:03 PM
Ah so paul did hook you up with the A pillar piece you needed Ed? Good to hear

Hope to see that R6 500 at a show or two in the future.

:2thumbs:  he got it today.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69_500

So Paul what are you going to do for your 500 now then? Get a repro?

XXHEMI

:2thumbs:  he got it today.
Thanks agin Paul and everyone that was looking out for me, I can sleep easer now. I know those two cars from Suffren (small world)

Ed

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69_500 on May 03, 2006, 08:06:05 PM
So Paul what are you going to do for your 500 now then? Get a repro?

Yep.  in fact i got two of them, one for each side.  I have and extra drivers side one now, original with holes drilled in it :-\  nobody on ebay wanted it.