News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket stereo bezel for 2nd gen?

Started by Fitz73Chrgr, December 10, 2017, 05:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz73Chrgr

What have you all used as a bezel to install an aftermarket stereo head unit in your '70?  It looks like the factory radio bezel should come off easily, leading me to assume that there is an aftermarket bezel available for a modern head unit.

I see a few aftermarket head units for 68-69 on Yearone than come with the trim plate but don't see the trim plate by itself. 

I could buy the radio delete bezel and cut my own hole in it, but that plate is $110 at Classic Industries. 

I'd also like to avoid the $500+ modernized-but-retro-looking stereos I think. 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Radio delete to cut your own is the best option for a factory look in my opinion. If you can try to check the grain pattern in person to yours if you can. I was terribly dissapointed the $400 repro set of panels didn't match the delete plate very well even though it was a set.

darbgnik

Cutting a delete panel, or even a trashed radio panel is how it's done. Mine was trashed when I bought the car, so decision made. I used a heat gun and took some of the bend out of the center for the aftermarket radio to fit better. Not perfect, but pretty good.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

b5blue

For 70 it looks fairly easy but isn't. The cut for the DIN frame must allow for the trim ring that covers it. I had to cut part of my dash frame and epoxy that DIN frame to the cut up radio plate. 68-69-70 are all different.

challenger70

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on December 10, 2017, 05:41:48 AM
What have you all used as a bezel to install an aftermarket stereo head unit in your '70?  It looks like the factory radio bezel should come off easily, leading me to assume that there is an aftermarket bezel available for a modern head unit.

I see a few aftermarket head units for 68-69 on Yearone than come with the trim plate but don't see the trim plate by itself. 

I could buy the radio delete bezel and cut my own hole in it, but that plate is $110 at Classic Industries. 

I'd also like to avoid the $500+ modernized-but-retro-looking stereos I think. 

I plan on cutting a factory bezel, $60 at vans auto on eBay (for a 68), sucks but I think it will result in the best looking install.
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

ALBSURE1091

I used a piece of laminate flooring I had left over. The woodgrain was a close match to the dash and console.