News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73' Charger Rear Leaf Spring Install Question?

Started by BMOTOXSTAR, December 10, 2017, 07:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMOTOXSTAR

Hey guys...on my 73' BB Rallye Charger the real leaf springs are toast. A few years back I put air shocks on just to get by, It is way past time for new springs.
Question is in reality what would a fair price be to  at worst have all new springs , bolts, installed or is this the most economical way to go?
Or if just the bushings are bad what would a market price be installed roughly?

This is a job I cannot not do and it has been years since I have had to find a mechanic.

I did find a local mechanic here in AZ that is going to give me a quote. Nice shop that has a classic/muscle car client base. What made me stop there was I noticed a 68/69 Charger  and a 3rd gen RR there being worked on.

I just did not want to go into this blindly. Worst case, from what I have researched on-line for all the parts about $500 with standard shocks?

Thanks for the help on this ...sucks having a bad rear suspension. I can't wait to finally be able to enjoy driving this Charger after 10 years of a bad rear.
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

randy73

I am replacing my leaf spring now, got them from Firm feel. Pricing is hard to say, if you can find a place that rebuilds them it will be cheaper, I got HD springs because I am adding HP. Labor should only be 1-2 to replace and the bushings were $26 and $35 for set of front and back, plus $70 for the perch bushings. I had to get new u-bolts so add $50 there if you have to go this route.

Good luck and replacing them your self is easy, just need 3 jack stands and springs are only about 20 lbs each and just do one side at a time. 

HPP

Labor rates will probably double the cost over the parts, especially if they run into any stubborn fasteners that need removed and then replaced. Also, as a '73, don't you also have the isolation bushings for the rear leaf pack as well?

randy73

Yes it does, I mistakenly called it the perch bushing and any good shop can do it in 2 hrs, did it in just under 3 hrs (not counting the time I took to remove some rust and spray a rust converter and then paint the mounts. Also, I did not use an impact wrench, so going on an upper end rate of $75/hr and 3 hrs, you should be as follows and you supply all parts.

$90 + shipping for all bushings
$45 u-bolts (I would not reuse them)
$300 Labor
$495 + shipping Firm Feel springs (rebuilt should be less)

$930 total +/- $50

BMOTOXSTAR

Wow, I did hear that it was easy. My issue is that I have Psoriatic Arthritis and it is real band in my fingers & wrists. I did my power steering pump and that was not to hard on me. 

Just worried that I will have bolts issues and can't get them off.

So, sounds like about $1000 average as long as the shop knows what they are doing.

The shop seems reputable, for years I have seen various makes of muscle cars there.Many Mopars.Owner says that he is a Mopar guy and knows 3rd gens very well.I had to make an appointment for him to look at it first. So next weekend I will know.

I thank all you guys of for the help on this.  :cheers: :2thumbs:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT