News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stoplight switch vs brakelight switch and aftermarket headlight switch

Started by phantom, December 15, 2017, 09:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom

Hey.  Currently installing a Painless 21 circuit harness, and i am comfused with the two switches. Are they the same switch? On the diagram it shows two different switches and the stoplight switch on the diagram has the white and pink wire going to it. Is this the one by the brake pedal?

The harness takes both colors to the engine section, but the white one comes back to connect to the turn signal connector. Shouldnt both wires go to the brake pedal, not the engine bay?

aifilaw

'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

phantom

Thank you. Mine is a `68, i think the diagram is a little bit different. But i think i got the difference now. The brake light switch must be the one for the parking brake pedal? When the pedal is pushed down, it releases the switch, illuminating the light on the dash? I bought my car as a project, never driven it, and i have all new custom dash with Autometer gauges and custom switches.

That leads me to my next question: The original headlight switch has 5 pins, or at least 5 wires going to it. Anyone have a diagram for which wire goes where? I have an aftermarket headlight switch with 4 pins: Battery -- ACC/parklights -- running/parklights -- headlights. In the Painless wiring diagram i have two main wires, Black w/grey stripe B+ and pink B+, both power supply.  Dont know if these would go together on the battery pin? The other three wires are green (headlight to dimmer switch), black w/yellow stripe (parklights) and black (taillights)

Oh, and i am planning to not use the original dome light switch, and instead use an aftermarket on/off switch. Does the original switch just dim the lights up and down, or does it have an on/off button too? 

Thanks,
Frank  

Nacho-RT74

maybe brake light mentioned by Painless is the one running to brake fluid pressure fail switch ( engine bay ) and stop light the one to pedal switch ?

Brake light is also conected to emergency brake pedal switch... both turns on the cluster brake pilot light... not the stop light
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

as far I recall headlight switch on these are usually 2 ins and 3 outs...

one in comes from alternator/amm splice and is a batt feed ( black wire ).... is JUST to feed headlights ( this would be the first out on green wire)

second in comes from fuse box and is designed to feed the rear parking lights allong with sidemarkers AND front parking lights on a secondary circuit for this ( these three completes the 5 wires circuit stated previouslly ). This was on this way because up to 68 the front parking lights turns off when head lights are on. Since 69 these two outputs were linked out on harness to keep them on while headlights are on. One of this circuits ( must be the rear one ) also feeds the dimmer wheel for cluster.

3rd gens are diff of course since these gets a built in dimmer assembly

Dome light circuit is constant positive source and turned on by ground either the door switches or same wheel dimmer geeting up to the end, by a second output this wheel gets to feed that ground what takes from chassis at cluster

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

phantom

mopar0166

I installed the kit on mine,  if I remember right , one goes to the brake pedal and one will go the warning light.  I used the factory diagram along side the painless diagram, which made it is to wire my 69.  Since I had some custom circuits, it made it easy to keep the stock circuits I needed and add the aftermarket ones I needed as well. 

Good luck,  take your time and you will be happy with a dependable good product.