News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trim going on.

Started by green69rt, December 17, 2017, 07:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

I see.  It is a little clunky looking.   Probably done that way for manufacturing reasons..  :shruggy:

Just 6T9 CHGR

This is the reason why I asked if it were an older repro top.   My first top I bought in the late 90's didn't have the A-pillar seam.

My newer Legendary top has the correct seam....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

green69rt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 23, 2017, 04:11:24 PM
This is the reason why I asked if it were an older repro top.   My first top I bought in the late 90's didn't have the A-pillar seam.

My newer Legendary top has the correct seam....

Looks like you need to stay with legendary if you want it correct.  I was going to say you could just cut mine and make the seam but it looks like there is a finished edge.

mopar4don

Hey Mitch, could you post a picture of the same area as Just 6T9 CHGR did?

green69rt

Just a few final notes on what I did.

Pic #1 is the adhesive that I used.  I took me three cans.  I probably could have used less but I got a little carried away sometimes.
Pic #2 is the corner that mopar4don asked about.  On all the corners, I pushed the fabric over the edge and down into the corner before making any relief cuts.
Pic #3 is the tool I used for making sure the fabric was attached to the top and to get all the bubbles out.  Just a plastic paint stick.  Use the edge and you can get a lot of pressure in a small area.  I didn't rake the stick across the fabric, I would put in one place and rock it back and forth to get bubbles and wrinkles out.   This was after I used my hands to get the fabric in place and the initial contact.
Pic #4 Use the same stick to force the fabric down in the drip rail groves and to work it into window corners.  Notice that the end is rounded off, very nice for pushing on the fabric without tearing it.

alfaitalia

Very nice job...as I said I've done a few vinyl roofs on a few UK cars from the 70s for myself and friends. Its a horrible job...even with two blokes its one I try to avoid!! One of a few reasons the only thing on my roof will be paint!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

ACUDANUT

green69rt

I was polishing and test fitting trim around the windows and found that I don't know how this area should look.  Right at the bottom of the A pillar.  I need to trim the top a little but where to end.  It would be great if someone would post a couple of pictures so I could see how it should look.  Here's the area I'm talking about from outside the car and  from inside the door opening (my finger is holding the roof top.) 

Thanks folks.

green69rt

Been polishing and fitting all the bright work on the car.  Everything seems to fit pretty good except for the bottom corners of the rear window.  Those will take some more work.  It's all original.  Sure looks better with the shiny metal!

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

green69rt

Thanks.

At first, I started polishing the trim on my table top grinder with a polishing wheel.  The first time a piece of trim got away from me and was tore out of my hands, I called it quits on that.  I just used my Dremel tool with those little polishing wheels.  Worked just fine till I wore the first wheel out and then I found out how much the wheels cost.  About $5 a piece.  And they get eaten up pretty fast.  Looked on line and found someone that sells a similar wheel that fits the Dremel and sells them for $15 for a bag of 100.  Guess which I chose. :yesnod:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: green69rt on December 27, 2017, 05:49:29 PM
I was polishing and test fitting trim around the windows and found that I don't know how this area should look.  Right at the bottom of the A pillar.  I need to trim the top a little but where to end.  It would be great if someone would post a couple of pictures so I could see how it should look.  Here's the area I'm talking about from outside the car and  from inside the door opening (my finger is holding the roof top.) 

Thanks folks.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=95015.0;attach=198795

cdr

there is also a wrap around clip that fits in the end of that lower trim & gets screwed to the a pillar area.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

green69rt

Quote from: cdr on March 06, 2018, 05:45:10 PM
there is also a wrap around clip that fits in the end of that lower trim & gets screwed to the a pillar area.

Yeah, I found them but for some reason I have two for the driver side and none for the pass side  :shruggy:.  I'll probably find the other one after I buy a new one :eek2:

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

green69rt

Pic #1  Got the old assemblies out.   Lots of nasty tar stuff and what looks like old oil.  Well, that all has to come off.
Pic #2  I thought the original chrome was shot and peeling.  Took a little time to polish some and all the crappy stuff came off.  Still pitted some but it's going back on the car.
Pic #3  The inside of the reflectors had some black particles every where.
Pic #4 Stripped the whole case down and sprayed the outside with satin nickel paint, the inside got Rustoleum Chrome paint.  If I was doing it again, I'd try to find a darker paint for the outside but it is what it is.
Pic #5  Lens cleaned up fine with a little glass polish from Griots.  Hard to see from the picture but good.
Pic #6  Time to put it back together and a lot of the tabs that hold the chrome to the lens were gone.   I didn't try anything fancy, just drilled a 5/32 hole in the metal as close to the back edge as I dared then went on thru the plastic.  Then made the hole in the plastic bigger with a 7/32 drill.  Used a 10-24x5/16 set screw to keep them together.  I used three across the top and  three across the bottom but two is probably enough.  They don't carry any load, just there to keep the chrome from falling off.  Don't try to use the set screw to attach the chrome to the lens (thread the screw thru the plastic), I think it would probably crack the lens.  The bigger hole in the plastic lets the set screw "float" inside the hole but keeps the chrome from coming off.  Then I used a little seam sealer (because that's what I had) to glue the chrome to the lens and to take up the fitting slack.
Pic #7  Add gaskets and screws and the assembly is ready to install.  Oh, the screws the hold the lens to the reflector, I used 3/4 #8 pan head sheet metal screws  My old ones were a combination of corroded, missing or some wierd size.

ChargerRT69

Great job Mitch!

My tabs on the lens are also broke that attaches the chrome trim. I was thinking of epoxying them on, but maybe I will look at screws. Where exactly did you place the screws? When they are installed, can you see the screws?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: keepat on December 23, 2017, 10:49:40 AM
There is a seam at the top of the A pillar ( about 1 1/2" down from the top )where they added the vinyl leg for the A pillar. Its quite unsightly but apparently it's original on 68's and probably 69's,  I'll look for a picture if somebody else doesn't post one
Pat

A pillar seem is present on 68-70 Chargers, that's one of the first things I noticed in the pics, looks really clean without that A pillar seem, and the OP has done an extremely professional install judging from the pics!  :2thumbs:

Mike

green69rt

Quote from: ChargerRT69 on April 05, 2019, 12:01:01 PM
Great job Mitch!

Where exactly did you place the screws? When they are installed, can you see the screws?

I put the screws as far away from the visible edge of the chrome as possible (see picture)and I inserted the screws till they were barely below the surface of the metal.  First lens I used three across the top and three across the bottom.  After it was done, I thought that was overkill so just installed two each on the second lens.  If you do this, be very careful when drilling the holes.  The plastic seems to be very brittle.  I taped the metal trim to the plastic lens really tightly and then used a small bit to drill a pilot hole through the metal and the plastic, remember don't put a lot of pressure on the drill and support everything from the back with your hand.  Then I took it apart and drilled them out to the final diameters as stated above.  I set the lens on a thick layer of towel so the tabs were not supporting the weight of the lens plus the force of me drilling.  You can see that I am missing one tab to the right of my finger.

Can't see any screws from the outside but (in the picture) there is one hole for each top screw that's visible in the plastic.  You can see one in the picture.  You have to look up into the lens to see it.  If it bothers you, put a little ball of black caulk in it and you couldn't see it at all.

green69rt

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 06, 2019, 08:21:11 AM
Quote from: keepat on December 23, 2017, 10:49:40 AM
There is a seam at the top of the A pillar ( about 1 1/2" down from the top )where they added the vinyl leg for the A pillar. Its quite unsightly but apparently it's original on 68's and probably 69's,  I'll look for a picture if somebody else doesn't post one
Pat

A pillar seem is present on 68-70 Chargers, that's one of the first things I noticed in the pics, looks really clean without that A pillar seem, and the OP has done an extremely professional install judging from the pics!  :2thumbs:

Mike

Thank you, sir.

green69rt

Quote from: ChargerRT69 on April 05, 2019, 12:01:01 PM
Great job Mitch!

My tabs on the lens are also broke that attaches the chrome trim. I was thinking of epoxying them on, but maybe I will look at screws. Where exactly did you place the screws? When they are installed, can you see the screws?

I got worried that my text wasn't clear on those set screws.  Here's a little drawing.  The set screw threads into the metal trim but floats free in the hole in the plastic.  DON'T use the screw to hold the plastic to the metal, I would expect that that would put stress on the plastic and crack it.  The screws are only used to keep the metal from falling off the lens.

kent

Sort of a jamb nut eh ?
Kent

green69rt

ChargerRT69

Mitch, that is great and you explained it very well! Thanks again for a new approach to an old problem!

green69rt

And now for the result.

Pic #1 shows the lenses installed.  It looks like they are lighted but not so.
Pic #2 show the housing color and how all the screws and nuts look.   Nuts came from Hoover auto parts.  Screws from Lowes.
Pic #3 shows the lights on,  Just two, I need to buy more bulbs.

On to the next job.  Going for a biggy!! Headliner!!