News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trim going on.

Started by green69rt, December 17, 2017, 07:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

Charger looks Awesome!

ChargerRT69

Mitch, That is looking awesome! I need to get my other life stuff put aside so I can catch up with where you are! LOL! My son just had a sate with a deer, so I have gotten derailed on my until I can help get his car back on the road.

green69rt

Quote from: ChargerRT69 on May 23, 2019, 01:54:55 PM
Mitch, That is looking awesome! I need to get my other life stuff put aside so I can catch up with where you are! LOL! My son just had a sate with a deer, so I have gotten derailed on my until I can help get his car back on the road.

Mine is going real slow now.  Spring time cleanup and yard planting is taking up a lot of time, but I still try to get a couple of hours in once in a while.

green69rt

Next is the rear window.  I'm using all the original outside trim and glass.  New repro interior trim.

Pic #1 - Old trim before cleaning etc.  Someone probably tried to stop leaks by using caulk all over the place.  The caulk was hard when I got with car and pretty useless.
Pic #2 & 3 - One corner piece.  I ended up soaking the piece in paint stripper then wrapping it is Saran wrap and letting it set for a couple of hours, that got most of it off.
Pic #4 - This is the installation kit I used.  Just Googled it.
Pic #5 - Here it is.  Several threads on here on how to do it and that's what I did.  Not that hard.  One thing I did before adding the trim is that I sprayed water everywhere around the edges and then took my air gun with about 15# of pressure and tested the seal. One corner needed the caulk pushed back in between the window and flange but after that it was really tight.
Pic #6 - So add the trim (test fitted before I did the window) and the package tray and inside trim.  All done!  (except for cleanup)

doctor4766

Did that seal have a wire running through it?
Gotta love a '69

green69rt

Quote from: doctor4766 on October 28, 2019, 06:49:08 PM

Nope.  I had to be very careful not to stretch the tape out and cause the final seal to be thin in that area. 

green69rt

Lennard

green69rt

Thanks, after it sits a few days, I'll spray water and air around and check for leaks.  Sure hope I don't find any.

green69rt

Quote from: green69rt on October 29, 2019, 07:55:48 AM

Nope.  I had to be very careful not to stretch the tape out and cause the final seal to be thin in that area. 

Just to be clear, the stuff I used is a butyl tape, not a rubber seal.  It needs some care during installation.

doctor4766

Quote from: green69rt on October 31, 2019, 12:10:55 PM

Just to be clear, the stuff I used is a butyl tape, not a rubber seal.  It needs some care during installation.

Yes, I'm familiar with the butyl tape seals from my autoglass days.
We mostly used to use the thermo electric style that you hook up to 12v to "melt" the tape somewhat in order to press the glass into position.
You can sit the car in the sun on a warm day to get the same affect with the style you have used. Half an hour or so should be enough to get the butyl tape tacky enough to bed it in properly.
Gotta love a '69

green69rt

Quote from: doctor4766 on November 06, 2019, 11:36:41 PM
Quote from: green69rt on October 31, 2019, 12:10:55 PM

Yes, I'm familiar with the butyl tape seals from my autoglass days.
We mostly used to use the thermo electric style that you hook up to 12v to "melt" the tape somewhat in order to press the glass into position.
You can sit the car in the sun on a warm day to get the same affect with the style you have used. Half an hour or so should be enough to get the butyl tape tacky enough to bed it in properly.

I just did it on a hot day, here in Houston.  It was VERY tacky and soft when I installed it.