News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

buying coins

Started by r4daytona, September 21, 2017, 07:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4daytona

I posted this a long time ago so I thought it was time to re-post.  I have been a coin collector since I was in 7th grade.  I know how those  "we are in town paying top dollar for old gold silver and coins" guys work.  I can pay more for any old coins than those guys because it's not my business - it's a hobby.  I have the pricing sheets that dealers use so i can pay more than that, but I will not pay ebay prices.  Lets face it, if I can buy a coin you have on ebay for $100 I need a little incentive to buy it so i will pay a little less.  here's two examples if you feel like reading.  A guy I worked with had a Half Dollar that he got prices from a jewelry store and a coin shop - one price was $14, that other was $25 -- I gave him $100 (it was a $150 coin)  I took one of my coins thats worth about $1000 to one of those "we're in town buying coins" hotel set-ups and pretended that my grandmother gave it to me - they offered me $40 !!

So consider it if you have some.  Maybe my price will be ok with you, maybe not but at least I can honestly tell you what you have.  (716)549-1756  Tom

A383Wing

Do you deal in foreign coins, or just ones from the USA?

Bryan

alfaitalia

As a fellow collector of things money related I thought you might like to see this. Its the new UK £10 note....only launched on the 21st September and this is the first one I've seen. I'm guessing its unlikely you will see one over there for a while!

Like the recently launched £5 note its not made of paper, its made of a virtually indestructible polymer plastic....in fact to be factually correct the previous one wasn't made of paper either as technically it was a woven material. The new one is smaller than the previous one but that means the new £10 and £5 have the same size ratio as the previous two notes....£10 being slightly bigger. Like the fiver it has a clear section and also like the fiver the Royal Mint says its all but impossible to forge....at least for this month!

On the front it has two pictures of Her Majesty and the Bank of England ...

And on the reverse it has English author Jane Austin. She was born in Hampshire (about 40 miles from me) in 1775 and is the first ever female on a £10 note (excluding the Queen of course!). In the clear, see though part of the note is a line drawing of Winchester Cathedral...Winchester being the County  town of Hampshire....and because of that the Banks in Winchester has the new note a couple of days before everyone else.....filling the banks full of collectors much to the annoyance of their regular customers!!

Unfortunately (who cares) the new £5 and £10 contain small levels of tallow made from animal fat so the vegans are up in arms about it resulting in some vegan places not accepting the notes.....they really ought to find more important things to worry about....since pretty much everything can be traced back to some animal based product or other!!

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/14/vegan-cafe-to-boycott-new-10-note-6928022/

I hope the above was of at least slight interest to someone!! :2thumbs:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

r4daytona

Sorry, I don't really deal in foreign coins - WAY to many other countries out there to know the variations.  I stick strictly with old American. However a nice ship wreck coin would be nice.  I have one from 1696 but another would be good.

That paper money is beautiful, most is.  I wish I was that artistic.  I think all of that early american paper money is artwork.  I realize the importance and stature of those women but man, most of the women on money are not that good looking! lol   I do have to say that I think the Eisenhower Dollar is equally as ugly to the Susan B. Anthony !!

Chad L. Magee

I don't know if you subscribe to either Numismatic News or Coin World weekly editions, but I would highly recommend them if you do not. 

A few years ago, one of them published an undercover article about the "top dollar buyers" scams.  They took a rather worn 1792 half disme in to see what was amount of money would be offered for it. The "appraiser" ended up offering only a few dollars and said it was a token as best he could figure.  He even commented that it was too bad that it was a British coin because an American one would be worth a lot more.  (It was an American coin and was worth an easy $10,000 in the condition that it was in.) 

Those town to town buyers are pure scams.  They attempt to ripoff unsuspecting people who really do not know what they have.  I wish there was a way to run them out of the business, but unless they truly break the law, there really is not.  I try to get people informed about those scams so that it will prevent those who actually have something valuable from losing it to them.

Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

r4daytona

Sorry for the late reply, I know what you mean, those out of town guys rip people off BIG TIME.  Then there are other that hope you don't catch a fake.  I run some ads from time to time - one time I had this guy call me about a 1652 coin he had.  Of course i thought it was a Pine tree Shilling and sure enough it was - but a fake.  I was nice and told him that I thought it was a souvenir because you could see the seam along the rim.  So i suggested that he send it out to be graded and explained how that works and if it does come back as real, I'd give him $4k .  Then he got rude, of course he was wear his biker gang shit and turned into an asshole.  I left needless to say.