News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

suggestions for 30 x 40 Shop plans!

Started by Harper, December 26, 2017, 04:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harper

I am wanting to build a 30 by 40 shop. I looking at starting with a slab, then do a pole barn over it then close it in. Hopefully 2018 will allow me to complete this task along with the other 1000 things i need to get done lol
What are some basic lay outs for said shop! thanks in advance
posted are a couple pictures of the lot i plan to build on.

the red reflector is about 32 ft from the sidewalk. We have no zoneing laws in our small town, so I am pretty much free to build as i see fit, however i do want it to be something with wood frame and wood rafters with metal siding, metal roof.

1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

JB400

My only recommendation is to build it with trusses, so you can have an open floor plan.  I'd also put the air compressor outside so you won't have to listen to it run all the time.

70 sublime

Does it get cold where you are that you will need heat ?

If so I would consider in floor heating
Just need to put some pipes in the concrete when it is being poured and maybe a layer of some kind of insulation under the the slab area first
Consider where you might like to put a car lift in some day and leave a couple spots pipe free that you will not have to worry about drilling into the floor for anchor bolts
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

69rtse4spd

Looks like a creek in the back, does it ever flood, what's the high water mark in the area. What's the crime rate in town, kids stuff or bigger, the door lay out will also matter, on the side so your not blocking traffic going in & out the front. No windows, out of sight out of mind, & are you going to live next door. Just a few of my  :Twocents:, worth others will chime in with better ideas. If a lift down the road at least 6 inch thick or thicker concrete in that area.

c00nhunterjoe

Thats essentially what i have, pretty sure im 30x48 but would have to measure to be 100%. Its stick built but not a pole barn. Insulated, standard height ceiling. I am long ways, so 2 bay doors, 2 cars deep. I use the mr heater from northern tool, 50,000 btu unit to heat. Works great, hooked up for propane. Large window unit for ac. Also works great. Insulation is key for hot and cold.

https://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200577749_200577749?adv=false

Harper

QuoteMy only recommendation is to build it with trusses, so you can have an open floor plan.  I'd also put the air compressor outside so you won't have to listen to it run all the time.

i agree with both of those suggestions. The Air Compressor will definitely be outside or in its own little room (that is insulated for noise reduction).

QuoteLooks like a creek in the back, does it ever flood, what's the high water mark in the area. What's the crime rate in town, kids stuff or bigger, the door lay out will also matter, on the side so your not blocking traffic going in & out the front. No windows, out of sight out of mind, & are you going to live next door. Just a few of my  Twocents, worth others will chime in with better ideas. If a lift down the road at least 6 inch thick or thicker concrete in that area.

highest point in town, never floods. There is a small creek behind, but its no issue. Crime rate is minimal due to the population being nearly 340 (most of those or on out skirts). Small town, and we have a cop who does pretty well at keeping tabs on everything. I will have an alarm system and cameras however.

yea 30x40 i will place it side ways (otherwise) if i get ready to add onto it length wise , i can add 20, 30, 40 more feet when time and money allow. (my retirement plans are to add an additional 40 ft on the east end for a small autoparts store.
My plans were two big doors and two small doors. initial plans are for an area to put at least one car on a rotisserie maybe two at a time. I will still keep a majority of my parts at my home shop.

the layout inside isnt finalized, but i would like two big roll up doors, one on each side, and two walk thru doors one on each side. The side by the sidewalk will be faceing NORTH. (that green part is what i plan to add later on as a "lean to" for storage, etc.

the yellow is the concrete leading in and out. The two post lift may be moved not sure where exactly i want it, but it will be finalized before concrete is poured. drawing NOT TO SCALE lol

note * i am only less than 2 miles away, and i pass by this area 3-4 times a day.
1968 Dodge Charger

68X426

I recommend an eight foot height on the car doors.  At seven feet there's lots of trucks and gear that won't clear.  Nine or ten is even better, but eight is practical.

An eight foot door(s) requires specifically designed and engineered headers and trusses (at least here in highly regulated California).  So you would want to hire a structurally engineer.

A seven foot door might not need anything extra in your state.

You cannot have too many electrical outlets.  No kidding, three or four on each wall side, at least four on the ceiling.

And lots of overhead light fixtures, we have four very large fluorescents (in a 30x40) and we should have gone with six.  It's dark in the corners and sides.  Skip sunlight panels and solar tubes, they just don't do the job.  :Twocents:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Harper

QuoteI recommend an eight foot height on the car doors.  At seven feet there's lots of trucks and gear that won't clear.  Nine or ten is even better, but eight is practical.

An eight foot door(s) requires specifically designed and engineered headers and trusses (at least here in highly regulated California).  So you would want to hire a structurally engineer.

yes i will need room for a 2 post lift so that will probably put me at 12 ft (not many regulations out in the country in Alabama)

A seven foot door might not need anything extra in your state.

QuoteYou cannot have too many electrical outlets.  No kidding, three or four on each wall side, at least four on the ceiling.

My dad always said the same thing, so My current shop has 12 outlets 6 on each wall, and 6 in the ceiling lol so this one will be no exception... as I do all my own wiring :)

QuoteAnd lots of overhead light fixtures, we have four very large fluorescents (in a 30x40) and we should have gone with six.  It's dark in the corners and sides.  Skip sunlight panels and solar tubes, they just don't do the job.  Twocents

I have found that white walls help reflect the light, I will more than likely go with 4 or 6 ft LEDS shop lights, I currently have some those (LEDS) in my home shop 24x24 and it does pretty well.

1968 Dodge Charger

John_Kunkel

Quote from: 68X426 on December 29, 2017, 08:40:51 PM

And lots of overhead light fixtures, we have four very large fluorescents (in a 30x40) and we should have gone with six.  

I have 15 8-foot fluorescents (two-bulb fixtures) in my 30 X 40 shop and am slowly converting them to LED...big difference. Consider going with LED's from the git go.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

alfaitalia

Big difference in light output or power saving? The workshop I hire for my build had all the strip lights converted to led for power saving reasons....and I just converted them all back to flouro. I pay for the power so it was my choice! I find led light to be bright but harsh. It's difficult to describe but it's almost like even though it's brighter I can actually see less. When working on body panels under led I struggled to see the lines that easily show up now. To be honest I find the same with led car and domestic lighting....it's just not a nice might...bright but no penetration....if that makes sense. Anyone with led car spot lights on a 4x4 should know what I mean....maybe!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

JB400

Then, I'd recommend going with the ones you can put on a dimmer switch.  Dial in the lighting to your own preference.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: alfaitalia on December 30, 2017, 06:52:03 PM
I find led light to be bright but harsh. It's difficult to describe but it's almost like even though it's brighter I can actually see less.!

Keep in mind that LED light strips come in different color temperatures, the higher Kelvin numbers might, indeed, be too bright.

The 4000K lights in my shop are a vast improvement over fluorescents....especially in cold weather.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Todd Wilson

Build a 60x80 with radiant floor heat and a floor area solid enough for a lift........

Todd

Harper

QuoteBuild a 60x80 with radiant floor heat and a floor area solid enough for a lift........

yea we are making it thicker where we plan to put the lifts, and if i could i would build 80 x100 but that probably wont happen in 2018 :(
1968 Dodge Charger

Harper

ok i talked to my concrete guy, and the concrete supplier. He is coming out Monday to look at what we got and to get a final game plan together.

It's looking like the concrete will be $115 per yard looking at around 15 yards of concrete
30' x 40' 4 inch's thick about $1800 plus about $1000 for the guy to level it, form it, pour it and smooth it. it will include J bolts for my future walls (poor man gotta do it a little at a time)

ok so i know I need a min of 6 inch's of concrete at pads where i plan to install a 2 post lift. I have those dimensions and the lay out for that.
I am going to do two areas for QTY (2) two post lifts in case one day i can afford a second lift.

so i need provisions for a toilet, sink in bathroom , and possibly stand up shower. As well as a Shop sink (somewhere to wash my hands to keep bathroom shop clean)
Now is the time to add all of that or i can just do a 30 x 40 pad and add the bathroom on later (i think this is what i will do). It will make it simpler for now 

i am now wondering if i should plan my entrances into the shop on the front instead of the sides? I think it would make it a lot simpler. And that way i can always add more shop space either direction.
thats a lot of things to consider while trying to keep it on the down-low from my wife so she isnt aware of home much i am spending lol

thoughts

1968 Dodge Charger

alenglish

mines not a large as your talking   but   I did the end entry.   Its a 3 car garage, but I only use for 2 car spots.  with the extra space for work bench, tools  storage.   and a set of steps for the small 14 by 32 room.    Bottom is 24 by 32.    BigAlSr
>You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.  If it doesn't move
>and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct
tape.
>

Bob

I went with a 24 x 44, $9,5.00, pole building, 3 car with workshop.
6 inches of high pressure concrete, $1,900.00
Used 2 post lift, $600.00
Labor for concrete finishing, $300.00
This was in 2007. I'm very happy with it even though bigger is always better.

Bob

70 sublime

For the trouble of guessing where you need 6 inch thick floor for a lift or two
Would it not be almost easier to just go 6 thick everywhere ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Harper

QuoteFor the trouble of guessing where you need 6 inch thick floor for a lift or two
Would it not be almost easier to just go 6 thick everywhere ?

maybe, but the expense of the concrete will be more plus it may have to be dug out more in areas.
I will ask the concrete guy when he gets here Monday.

if its not that much more I may go that route. I pretty much have just enough for the 30 x 40 at this point and time, if it goes much over what i am planning for i may have to go with original plan.
I have have several ppl who owe me money if they would all pay i could do a freakin 60 x 80 lol If i wait on them to pay me tho i may pass on before that actually happens lol

1968 Dodge Charger

JB400

Personally, I wouldn't go through the expense of pouring the whole thing 6 inches thick.  I'd just have the area where the lift would go be 6, the rest 4.  I'd also put bar on 2 ft. centers in the same area, 4 ft. in the rest of the floor, and I'd have the whole floor vibrated, not just screeded off like most do.

Harper

QuotePersonally, I wouldn't go through the expense of pouring the whole thing 6 inches thick.  I'd just have the area where the lift would go be 6, the rest 4.  I'd also put bar on 2 ft. centers in the same area, 4 ft. in the rest of the floor, and I'd have the whole floor vibrated, not just screeded off like most do.

yea they run a smoother over called a "whirley bird" to slick it up, i know he is doing that. So yea i will get the measurements for the pads for the lifts and pour that 6 inchs the rest 4 or so.
1968 Dodge Charger

JB400

Your whirly bird is not a vibrator, it's a polisher, to finish the concrete.  A vibrator is a tool that sticks into the concrete to work out the air bubbles, or we use a power screed.  A power screed is a tool that spans the entire width of the floor, and it vibrates as well as levels out the concrete, which makes your concrete stronger.

Harper

thats nice but
us rednecks do that the hard way...manually with a 2 x 6 :lol: :lol: :lol:
1968 Dodge Charger

Old Moparz

Not sure what to suggest for a layout but try to be cautions of future plans & how the current layout ends up. What I mean is, if you are going to add on in a particular location in the future don't put permanent features somewhere that will screw up that plan later. For example, if you add on to the rear of the building & need to access it from the original building, the lift, office, underslab utilities that come up through the floor may all be in the way & costly to relocate.

When I planned & built mine 20 years ago I had less space to work with than you do & tried to maximize the floorspace so I put a second floor on mine for storage so the first floor was strictly going to be for the vehicles, work bench, tools, etc. Access to the storage is by ladder but I hope to put an exterior stair case in at some point to free up floor space & have a real stair case for an easier climb. If you go with a high ceiling you can add a storage loft somewhere later. In a 30'x 40' building you'll be able to fit in a large loft.

Some things to consider no matter what the layout is are.....

- Stub in & cap several extra electrical conduits with curved "sweeps" if you have or plan to have underground service. It's much cheaper & easier to pull additional wires through an empty conduit that already sticks up through the concrete floor. You can also pull telephone, alarm & other low voltage wiring through. Same goes for water, sewer, gas or propane that you can add later as your budget allows. Pushing a flexible copper water line through a conduit is easier than cutting through the concrete floor.

- Overhead doors only come with a track system that's slightly higher than the actual door height. For example, an 8' high door may only be 9' off the floor when in the open position. This does you no good if you have a 12' ceiling & a lift. You can get what's called a "High Lift" track set up & it will not cost that much more than a standard track, whether it's for a 7' ht. door, or an 8' door ht. door. It's basically just longer sections of tracks, & longer cables. The springs & the rest of the hardware should be the same. This option for my doors was an additional $57.00 each. It brought the doors up a lot higher, but I forget the exact height, & may vary depending on what is available. They are not flush with the ceiling, but definitely worth the difference.

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Bob

Hind sight being 20/20 I'd wished I would have installed a floor drain in one of the end bays for washing vehicles.