News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Custom nose cone brackets

Started by NHCharger, December 27, 2017, 08:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

When I started my clone project two years ago I was unaware of all the obstacles and pitfalls one must overcome when attempting to build something like this. I bought an unfinished project from a fellow board member. It already had a Dane wing, vega plug, 70 fenders/hood and a fiberglass nose. The nose was held on by a homemade setup which included bent angle iron, wooden blocks and spacers and a turnbuckle system that was stressing the radiator support.
I bought several pieces from Janak and opted for the economy version of his parts since they were less than half of the premium line (now I know why). The Z brackets seemed really flimsy. The two pieces of C channel that attach to the frame even flimsier.  I'm not sure what a real steel nosecone with all the headlight stuff weighs but my fiberglass cone is roughly 60 pounds. I was concerns that the Z brackets/C channel would not be able to support the cone without significant modification. While going thru one of my wingcar FB pages a member showed off a custom nose cone bracket he had built for his clone. The light dawned and I found the solution.
I bought a couple pieces of angle iron at HD and welded them together for the C channel. I bought 24' of 1" steel tubing from a welder friend. $60.00 for materials, and a weekend and a few beers later the nose is now firmly attached to the car. This isn't final assembly. Still need to drop the motor back in but I want to get the entire nose assembly put together without the engine in the way.  
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Hemi Runner

wingcarenvy

Nice work. I was toying with mounting my Superbird clone nose with 3/4" Chromoly.

Hemi Runner

Quote from: wingcarenvy on January 07, 2018, 07:18:54 PM
Nice work. I was toying with mounting my Superbird clone nose with 3/4" Chromoly.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Old Moparz

Looks good.  :cheers:

Something to take into consideration about parts that may seem "flimsy" is, that as individual pieces they won't appear strong, but once tied together as a system of parts they become much stronger. Think of how a truss works. There are trusses that will span 24' & made of 2x4 dimensional lumber. You would NEVER span 24 feet with a single 2x4, but when it's part of a system, the truss, it can not only span that distance but it can support the roofing system & a snow load.  :Twocents:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

NHCharger

Bob. You are 100% correct. I've been in construction for 33 years, so I understand how a series of components, properly assembled can support a rated load. I also know that the assembly is only as strong as the weakest link. I did install the fiberglass C channel and Z brackets on the car. But after fiddling around and trying to figure out how to reinforce them so I would feel comfortable, making my own bracket was the best solution in my opinion. I just did not feel comfortable knowing the amount of weight that would be hanging off those fiberglass pieces.
I also purchased the front valance and fender scoops from Janak. those pieces were fine, although the scoops had no studs or mounting hardware so I had to make my own mounting hardware for them.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel