News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starter crapping out in this cold weather...

Started by 69wannabe, December 29, 2017, 09:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

Haven't got to drive the charger much lately, had a bad stomach flu in early december and then it snowed 7 inches that same weekend and has been raining and crap all month. Finally this week it dried up good enough to get it out for a drive and when I hit the switch to start it the starter made a spinning/grinding sound for a second then it started up fine the next time I hit the switch. Didn't sound good at all tho.... After it ran and warmed up it started up fine every time but the next day same thing. I think the bendix is going bad and I decided since the weather is fair here for now I would get it off and see if my starter guy could see whats up with it. Pulled the spark plugs and the header loose and dropped the starter out pretty quick, gonna see if he is working tomorrow and see if he can get me fixed up so I can put it back together tomorrow and get it back to normal once again....

Harper

make sure your battery is fully charged, i finally broke down and bought one of those "battery tenders" they can be mounted so all you have to do is pick up the cord and plug in!  :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

69wannabe

Quote from: Harper on December 29, 2017, 11:35:33 PM
make sure your battery is fully charged, i finally broke down and bought one of those "battery tenders" they can be mounted so all you have to do is pick up the cord and plug in!  :Twocents:

I have a battery tender that I keep hooked up this time if the year, took the starter to my guy this morning and he took it all apart and put a new starter drive in it. He said the clutch in the starter drive was weak so he put a new one in and checked it out good and put it all back together. Man there is alot of tiny parts in one of those mini starters.

Got it back on there and got it all back together and it's working good now, started up great. Got him to order me a new mini starter so I could have a spare on the shelf. I had several at one time but buddy's needed them so I put one on here and sold another one I think and next thing I knew they are all gone.

The weather supposed to turn real cold tomorrow here, it's already cold enough for me but at least I got to go for a spin around the block today before I put it in hibernation for the real cold weather. I don't get any enjoyment out of driving my old car in the freezing cold. If it's decent weather out like upper 40's and up then I can ride without being completely uncomfortable.

Harper

1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

69wannabe

Quote from: Harper on January 01, 2018, 12:44:25 AM
:2thumbs: good deal, i need to invest in one soon.

I like the mini starters myself, I had an old original style on there for a long time and it worked good but with the headers the mini starter is easier to work with. I got my guy to get me a new one from WAI and he ordered it for a 97 dodge truck with a 3.9, 5.2, or a 5.9 magnum. Some of the guy's on here get one from DB electrical I think but I may be mistaken.....

JR

This is a perfect time to upgrade to the newer mini starter while you're at it.

A stock remanufactured unit for a late 90s ram, Dakota or full-size van will bolt right on, give you more room for header clearance, and turn the engine over faster. It's a worthwhile upgrade.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Dino

My daily's starter is doing the same. I guess the severe cold is a bit much for the poor thing. I give the key a quick turn on and off before it can grind. Then I can turn the key and start it without issues.

I haven't been able to start my Charger yet but just installing the tiny lightweight mini starter made me a fan of them.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

69wannabe

I have been running a mini starter since 2005 if I can remember that far back. It lasted til 2011 or 2012 and just flaked out one day without any warning, I took it off and had it rebuilt and it has lasted up until last month without any issues so I can't complain. He fixed it while I waited and he said the brushes and everything looked fine and that the starter drive must have just gotten weak. I expected it to be worn out again but he said it was all good and only charged me 20 bucks to fix it.  They are much easier to work with than the old original one's that weigh a ton......