News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

vinyl dye ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, December 31, 2017, 03:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Anyone know of a good quality of vinyl dye and where to get it ? thanks.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

garner7555

69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Highbanked Hauler

Thanks,  I need a quart as I have 2 seats to change from white to black. SEM is a common industry name in paint and thats what I was looking for..
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

oldcarnut

Is there actually a real dye out there and not a paint?  Seem like most are just a spray paint for vinyl and not a true dye.  If it's not prepped right it flakes off.  I did a full seat of seats with the stuff and all the prep was important to get it to stick right and not come off later.  Real dye changes or stains the color and not coats it with another color.

igozumn

I'm going to jump onto this thread and ask about seat belt clips/retainers.  I need a set in saddle for the back seat in my '69.  Since my back seat was gone when I bought the car, I used the green-then-dyed/painted black seat.  Now that I have recovered the seat in pure Legendary saddle, I want matching clips.  They are now reproducing the clips in white, and have done them in black for some time.  Should I:

a) buy black and paint them
b) buy white and paint them (white would show up less if/when scratched, in my opinion)

c) ask the forum if anyone has used RIT dye to dye plastic?  And then try dying the white ones?

I've heard of some using RIT dye for belts and such.  Just wondering about the clips.
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: oldcarnut on January 03, 2018, 10:20:01 PM
Is there actually a real dye out there and not a paint?  Seem like most are just a spray paint for vinyl and not a true dye.  If it's not prepped right it flakes off.  I did a full seat of seats with the stuff and all the prep was important to get it to stick right and not come off later.  Real dye changes or stains the color and not coats it with another color.

It goes without saying that surface preparation is 98% of the job anyway. Going waaaaaaaaayy back our jobber would mix interior colors which sprayed  different than paint and I guess worked.  I was just wondering if there was any new product that is "new and improved" ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Bronzedodge

^^This.  The surface prep is super-important.

I'm not sure what happened to Mar-Hyde, my favorite vinyl dye from the 80's.  They may have been bought by 3M.
Mopar forever!

Back N Black

I use SEM in rattle cans for my seats, I changed the color from white to black, its been 8 years and 20,000 km and no sign of wear. :2thumbs:

ChargerRT69

When I was researching this similar topic, I came up with SEM was the best way to go. They have a prep for plastic and different one for vinyl. I have changed the color of a lot of my interior parts and it seems to be doin very good. With that said, I am still assembling and it has not been sitting out in the sun for extended periods of time, but a lot of people swear by this fashion of "dye" for flexible parts and plastics. Even though the it sprays like a paint, the finial product I more like a dye.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Back N Black on January 12, 2018, 10:11:55 PM
I use SEM in rattle cans for my seats, I changed the color from white to black, its been 8 years and 20,000 km and no sign of wear. :2thumbs:

WOW thats what I am looking to do too and from the general opinion SEM seems to have the vote which is what my supplier said also. thanks. :2thumbs:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser