News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Signature character limit is actually 9 characters less.

Started by bakerhillpins, January 02, 2018, 08:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

Pretty sure you can't fix this without an update to the forum software but figured I'd put it out there anyway.

The "Signature" limit is expressed as 500 characters. There seems to be 9 extra characters added to any given users input string when validated against the limit. If I fill up the signature so that 8 characters or less are remaining and update my profile it will save without error but when you view the signature string again it will truncate the last 9 characters.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

bakerhillpins

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Troy

Geez, who needs 500 characters for a signature? Humans are lazy and only skim on the internet. Maybe you could try selling a car... ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Troy on January 02, 2018, 10:56:48 AM
Geez, who needs 500 characters for a signature? Humans are lazy and only skim on the internet. Maybe you could try selling a car... ;)

Troy

I could try buying one.. You don't happen to have one for sale do you?   :P
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

Troy

I made it bigger just for you... I'm not even going to try to figure out why SMF can't count.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bakerhillpins

:cheers:

Mostly it was just an observation, I guess I can't suppress my inner software engineer. Regardless, thanks!.... now I need to figure out how to abuse those extra characters.  :D :slap:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

XH29N0G

Quote from: Troy on January 02, 2018, 10:56:48 AM

Troy

But if you were this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Blaine_Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff,_Sr. you still might have a problem

Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfe­schlegel­stein­hausen­berger­dorff­welche­vor­altern­waren­gewissen­haft­schafers­wessen­schafe­waren­wohl­gepflege­und­sorg­faltig­keit­be­schutzen­vor­an­greifen­durch­ihr­raub­gierig­feinde­welche­vor­altern­zwolf­hundert­tausend­jah­res­voran­die­er­scheinen­von­der­erste­erde­mensch­der­raum­schiff­genacht­mit­tung­stein­und­sieben­iridium­elek­trisch­motors­ge­brauch­licht­als­sein­ur­sprung­von­kraft­ge­start­sein­lange­fahrt­hin­zwischen­stern­artig­raum­auf­der­suchen­nach­bar­schaft­der­stern­welche­ge­habt­be­wohn­bar­planeten­kreise­drehen­sich­und­wo­hin­der­neue­rasse­von­ver­stand­ig­mensch­lich­keit­konnte­fort­pflanzen­und­sicher­freuen­an­lebens­lang­lich­freude­und­ru­he­mit­nicht­ein­furcht­vor­an­greifen­vor­anderer­intelligent­ge­schopfs­von­hin­zwischen­stern­art­ig­raum, Senior

Now me, I have the same name as my grandfather, and his before him, and so on....., probably all the way back to when they were serfs on the land of some other guy with the same last name.  No numbers, no seniors, no nothing, and only 14 characters including spaces.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....