News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How close to the rear leaf spring?

Started by frank1966, January 03, 2018, 12:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank1966

How close can i go? Is there lateral movement in the leaf spring?

randy73

Spring is tied to the axle, so no lateral movement. But your tire will flex, especially in a turn.

Not my trick, but I read were someone put masking tape on the edge of the leaf spring and then drove around and then check tape afterwards.

frank1966

Thanks, that's what I thought, so its the tire profile that can flatten out a little and touch the spring. Hard to say how much is needed I guess.

alfaitalia

Not flatten out as much as much as bend to one side or the other due to side wall flex and the G of cornering. The lower profile the tyres are the less likely it is to happen.....Example...I had an old Mitsubishi GTO (sorry..but it was quite fun!). I put Lexus wheels and tyres on it. They were a good 3/4 of an inch away from the from the front spring perches.....on fast cornering they just skimmed the metal. 5mm (3/16 inch) spacers sorted that.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

c00nhunterjoe

I think it will hit the inner fender before it hits the spring, or at the same time anyway.
Mine will hit the fender before the spring.

HPP

While the bottom of a tire will move around a fair amount due to corner loading, the typical street radial will not deflect much, if at all, half way up the tire diameter next to the leaf spring, nor up top by the wheel opening lip and inner fender. If have run radials as close as .25" to the spring and not had any rubbing. Traversing driveways or other off camber angles can create interference in the inner fenders as the axle housing arcs through its range of motion.

Bias ply drag tires with a single ply sidewall are the other end of the spectrum. They grow in height and change in width by quite a bit and you would want more space all around them.

303 Mopar

I had 30x12's on and they hit the inner fender but not the spring. 
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Dino

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 03, 2018, 09:28:09 PM
I think it will hit the inner fender before it hits the spring, or at the same time anyway.
Mine will hit the fender before the spring.

That's what happened to mine. It rubbed the undercoating smooth but never hit the leaf.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

cdr

mine also hit the inner well 1st, never have hit the spring.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dino

I should mention that only the left tire rubbed when taking a sharp right turn onto an incline (old workplace's driveway). Never happened the other way around but the wheels aren't exactly centered side to side.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Dino on January 04, 2018, 02:49:34 PM
I should mention that only the left tire rubbed when taking a sharp right turn onto an incline (old workplace's driveway). Never happened the other way around but the wheels aren't exactly centered side to side.

Need to make more left turns and center the bushings... :smilielol:

Dino

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 06, 2018, 08:56:05 AM
Quote from: Dino on January 04, 2018, 02:49:34 PM

Need to make more left turns and center the bushings... :smilielol:

:lol: