News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Been up since 4 am with Gout in left ankle

Started by Harper, January 05, 2018, 07:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harper

Lord knows it's rough when you can't even lay a certain way it hurts so freaking bad!!!
I can only hold it a certain way for like 20-30 seconds it feels like it's broke. But it is stinking gout in my ankle joint!!!
If I support it on top of my other ankle I can get it to stop hurting for like 20 seconds before I have to move it again
1968 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (GL Clone)
1951 F1 Ford 302 EFI, Automatic
1965 F100 Ford Straight 6, 3 speed on column (all original)

nvrbdn

Gout is one of the worse pains.  :flame: Get a prescription and get through it. There have been a couple times where I had it last 3-4 days in my big toe.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

alfaitalia

Not saying you do....but mine went fast and never came back when I backed off the beer (I prob drunk too much between 20 and 30! :yesnod:... I'm 51 now). I hardly drink at all now (special occasions excluded). Also drinking rather more water helped me too.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

chargerboy69

I used to think gout in the ankle was the absolute worst. . . .  Then I got it in the knee.

A Gout attack is awful, I feel for you. Cherry pills from GNC, or sweet cherry juice.  For me its lots of water.  Best of luck.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

XH29N0G

I haven't had gout, but I know it is miserable and sympathize. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Kern Dog

I work with a guy that gets flare-ups sometimes. Pork usually causes a reaction to him.

Harper

QuoteNot saying you do....but mine went fast and never came back when I backed off the beer (I prob drunk too much between 20 and 30! yesnod... I'm 51 now). I hardly drink at all now (special occasions excluded). Also drinking rather more water helped me too.

yep i am 51 here also.

the things that i know contributes to gout
beer
seafood
peas
butterbeans
diet drinks (aspartame)
alcohol
hamburger (red meats)
steak
pork chops
bacon
fish
peanuts (dam it i love boiled peanuts)
any kinda lips, hips, tails necks, cow tongue,  anything they make bolonga with, hot dogs or sausage...hot sausage...
potted meat, spam, deviled ham

extended list
oatmeal
any fruity drink (gatorade, powerade, orange juice)

which basically means anything that taste good can contribute. I now believe it was the bar b que Pork sandwich and diet coke from yesterday!

I have some of the pills try not to use them, but lord i have taken them this time...

walk it off!!! yea right...it hurts so bad you cant let the fan blow on it!! or cover from a sheet touch it!! or leave it in any position for more than 20 seconds.
bad bad bad!!
1968 Dodge Charger

Mopar Nut

Quote from: chargerboy69 on January 05, 2018, 11:06:49 AM
I used to think gout in the ankle was the absolute worst. . . .  Then I got it in the knee.

A Gout attack is awful, I feel for you. Cherry pills from GNC, or sweet cherry juice.  For me its lots of water.  Best of luck.
:iagree: Cherry pills helps mine.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mytur Binsdirti

ACUDANUT

Hard alcohol use, is the number cause imo.  Been there, done that.  No more for me.

Harper

i dont even drink that much seriously, but i have drank 10 zillion diet cokes in my lifetime. And i have always ate whatever i wanted as well. Guess its piper time... :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Charger

ACUDANUT

Well, either way I hope you saw a Doctor.  It feels worst than a broken bone right ?

nvrbdn

Quote from: Harper on January 06, 2018, 01:07:47 PM
i dont even drink that much seriously, but i have drank 10 zillion diet cokes in my lifetime. And i have always ate whatever i wanted as well. Guess its piper time... :shruggy:

Yep, me too. I am not a drinker. But I love big juicy burgers and fries. Fish is a big love to eat. And a big weakness for soda. Usually Coke and Sprite. I now drink very little soda, and tried to slow down on the fried foods, and eat more fruits and vegetables.  Good luck. And as Acudanut said, see the doc.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Harper

QuoteWell, either way I hope you saw a Doctor.  It feels worst than a broken bone right ?

hell yes it does! You will think its broken for real! and you cant take an aleave to take the edge off the pain!!!

QuoteYep, me too. I am not a drinker. But I love big juicy burgers and fries. Fish is a big love to eat. And a big weakness for soda. Usually Coke and Sprite. I now drink very little soda, and tried to slow down on the fried foods, and eat more fruits and vegetables.  Good luck. And as Acudanut said, see the doc.

i dont eat much burgers and fries either.
I was told today that lemon juice, orange juice, and oat meal is on the NO GO LIST also

as well i have found that peas, butter beans, fruity drinks (power ade, gatoraid, etc) are HORRIBLE for it!!!
1968 Dodge Charger

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

alfaitalia

Some interesting comments.....but most of the research when I had it pointed to dehydration causing it rather than any specific food types. Any high purine food is not good though. Here's a typical example.

http://www.arthritis.org/about-arthritis/types/gout/causes.php

Harper

thanks alfaitalia,

so basically this is what it said
Gout appears to come on suddenly, often in the form of a painfully swollen big toe or lower body joint. In reality, it's the end result of a process that's been taking place in the body for a while.

The underlying cause of gout is different from those things that trigger a gout attack. Gout is the result of excess uric acid in the body, a condition called hyperuricemia.

Uric acid is a substance that normally forms when the body breaks down purines, which are found in human cells and in many foods.  Uric acid is transported by the blood to the kidneys and eliminated in the urine. However, some people either overproduce uric acid or they produce a normal amount, but their kidneys can't process it efficiently and an excess of uric acid builds up. Some, but not all, of those people may develop gout.

I am going to put a list of things up that I know aggravate mine...

i have eaten whole (in the jar) cherrys, they may help some but not as much as the water or Milk!!

so i guess i will just die...look a this dam do not eat list:::::::

French Fries
pizza
sausage
fried chicken
ketchup
mayo
ranch dressing
potato chips

just cover me up with dirt, because there is no need to live without pizza, fried chicken without ranch dressing, and or french fries without ketchup!!!

1968 Dodge Charger

ACUDANUT

IMO and talking with a lot of folks who suffered Gout, the main issue is too much sugar (hence I said hard alcohol). Vodka, Gin, soda all contain enormous of sugar. They also make us fat.
I stopped a lot of sugar drinks and have been fine for over a year....However, they say once you have had gout, anything can bring it back.  :brickwall:
Are you exercising ?

alfaitalia

Quote from: Harper on January 09, 2018, 08:27:05 PM
thanks alfaitalia,

so basically this is what it said
Gout appears to come on suddenly, often in the form of a painfully swollen big toe or lower body joint. In reality, it's the end result of a process that's been taking place in the body for a while.

The underlying cause of gout is different from those things that trigger a gout attack. Gout is the result of excess uric acid in the body, a condition called hyperuricemia.

Uric acid is a substance that normally forms when the body breaks down purines, which are found in human cells and in many foods.  Uric acid is transported by the blood to the kidneys and eliminated in the urine. However, some people either overproduce uric acid or they produce a normal amount, but their kidneys can't process it efficiently and an excess of uric acid builds up. Some, but not all, of those people may develop gout.

I am going to put a list of things up that I know aggravate mine...

i have eaten whole (in the jar) cherrys, they may help some but not as much as the water or Milk!!

so i guess i will just die...look a this dam do not eat list:::::::

French Fries
pizza
sausage
fried chicken
ketchup
mayo
ranch dressing
potato chips

just cover me up with dirt, because there is no need to live without pizza, fried chicken without ranch dressing, and or french fries without ketchup!!!

LOL.....yeah. I asked the Doc "If I give up that lot  (and beer and cigs of course) will I live any longer?". He said "No.......but it will definitely feel like it!!"  :smilielol:

....Doing my bit for the environment and recycling old jokes!!

Dino

Quote from: alfaitalia on January 08, 2018, 08:42:42 AM
Some interesting comments.....but most of the research when I had it pointed to dehydration causing it rather than any specific food types. Any high purine food is not good though. Here's a typical example.

http://www.arthritis.org/about-arthritis/types/gout/causes.php

Diet provides the purines responsible for creating uric acid, a lack of fluids impedes proper excretion by the kidneys. You end up with a high amount of uric acid crystals that get stuck in tight spaces like joints. They're shaped like needles by the way, in case you were wondering why it hurts so damn bad.

And then there's pseudogout which is similar and can coexist with gout in the same joint, but it is calcium based.

Nasty stuff, keep your kidneys in order!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Harper

Diet provides the purines responsible for creating uric acid, a lack of fluids impedes proper excretion by the kidneys. You end up with a high amount of uric acid crystals that get stuck in tight spaces like joints. They're shaped like needles by the way, in case you were wondering why it hurts so damn bad.

And then there's pseudogout which is similar and can coexist with gout in the same joint, but it is calcium based.

Nasty stuff, keep your kidneys in order!

yea that makes sense, typically i drink 20 oz of water to begin my day sometimes 40 oz, by supper time i have more than not consumed a min of 100 to 120 oz's of water and more thank likely some other liquid (tea which is NOT good for gout), but i have to have some flavor...at some point

i knew water helped flush the uric acid out, and yes they VERY painful (i have read over and over about the sharpness of the build up) so that pretty much describes it to a tee., but i am still doing my own study about it all. i try to make notes on things i eat that do not affect or make me have a gout flare up. and when i do i try my best to back track and more times than not its lack of fluids (water). I also find that if i drink a glass of milk a few times a week that also helps.

for instance hamburgers are better for gout than hotdogs, any type of sausage is HORRIBLE for it, Peanuts are HORRIBLE for it just an observation.

i am curious if lack of calcium is also a contributor?
1968 Dodge Charger

B5 66

Gout hit both of my feet luckily not at the same time. I found using a orthopedic boot really is the cats meow.  Just don't tell anyone that you have gout :2thumbs:

Harper

THANKS

surveying around the water cooler at my buddys garage, it seems several of us older fellas has gout 48-70.
it seems like most just take the "green pills" the doctor gives and drank beer right along with it lol
others cut back on their purines and somewhat do like i do control it when they can by eating correctly some of the time.
i am up at 3:30 am with my left ankle again... dam hamburger for supper i guess. smdh
1968 Dodge Charger

Harper

the absolute key is "cherries" i ate 4 after that last post and was finally able to go to sleep. This morning i feel so much better. I have heard ppl say it and tried it before with not that great of results. However i am here to tell you this time it made a big difference!!
:yesnod:
1968 Dodge Charger

ACUDANUT

Didn't your last office visit give you Meds for that ?

Harper

no, and hopefully i do not wind up having to go back for it. :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger

ACUDANUT