News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

This a a post, on......how YOU lock your doors.

Started by Polygon, January 09, 2018, 04:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polygon

Here's the question. On my 70, when you exit the car, the passenger side has to be locked by key. If I push the lock down (on the inside upper pad), and shut the door, it pops up into unlock. So then I have to use the key.

What about your car?

www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

Pete in NH

HI,

71 was the first year you could lock the door by pushing the button down and closing the door. I always liked the earlier cars that the button would pop back up, you could not lock the keys in the car. You needed the key to lock the door.

alfaitalia

It will not pop back up if you hold the outside release handle in the opening position (button in) as you push the pin down then shut the door...if that makes sense. Easier for me to think than write!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

A383Wing

Quote from: alfaitalia on January 09, 2018, 05:43:14 PM
It will not pop back up if you hold the outside release handle in the opening position (button in) as you push the pin down then shut the door...if that makes sense. Easier for me to think than write!

Not on a 70....if you push the lock button down, you cannot push the outside button in to close and lock the car...the only way to lock a 70 is with a key once the doors are closed

you must be a chevy guy

Polygon

Thanks to all who answered.

This has been a fun project.

PS, my son helping with carpet.
www.lostinspaceforum.com

alfaitalia

Quote from: A383Wing on January 09, 2018, 06:06:38 PM
Quote from: alfaitalia on January 09, 2018, 05:43:14 PM

Not on a 70....if you push the lock button down, you cannot push the outside button in to close and lock the car...the only way to lock a 70 is with a key once the doors are closed

you must be a chevy guy

LOL....outside button first then push button then close door....works on my 69. I take that as a personal insult!! LOL! Never owned a Chevy in my life...and certainly never will now they have put their badges on those crappy Daewoo cars and selling them as Chevys in Europe!!!

Polygon

Ok, ok! But since you brought up Chevys... 92 Caprice went 290,000 before I drove it to the junkyard. My parents had it since almost new, The Trans and engine, were original, never rebuilt. Now, back to MOPAR!
www.lostinspaceforum.com

A383Wing

Quote from: alfaitalia on January 10, 2018, 02:44:54 AM

LOL....outside button first then push button then close door....works on my 69. I take that as a personal insult!! LOL! Never owned a Chevy in my life...and certainly never will now they have put their badges on those crappy Daewoo cars and selling them as Chevys in Europe!!!

Nope, again, not on a 70....if you push the outside button in and try to push the lock button down, it will not go down.....and if you try to shut the door while holding the outside button in, it will not close.....

You are still stuck on the early GM thing.....

alfaitalia

Great....so that's something else I've got to fix!....when the doors go back on!

Alaskan_TA

The 1970 latches are specific to the 1970 models.

Polygon

www.lostinspaceforum.com

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

c00nhunterjoe

Mine is just plain wore out. On my 69, the door wont close if i lock it 1st. It will bounce back open..... but i never lock it anyway so ive never fixed them since ive owned the car.

A383Wing

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 10, 2018, 10:01:47 PM
Mine is just plain wore out. On my 69, the door wont close if i lock it 1st. It will bounce back open..... but i never lock it anyway so ive never fixed them since ive owned the car.

My 70 does the same thing if you push the lock button down and try to shut the door, just bounces back open, and the same holds true with both my 66's as well

6pkrtse

On my 70's. I just wait for my passengers to get out. I then reach over & push down the door lock button to lock the door manually from inside. Then get out & lock my driver side door with the key from the outside.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Ghoste

Sometimes I do it that way and sometimes I walk around and lock it with the key.  I don't mind taking an extra trip around the car just to admire it.

Bronzedodge

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 10, 2018, 10:01:47 PM

If anyone has an owners manual, that they are SUPPOSED to do that.  From 69 Dodge Charger Operators Manual, p 14:

Locks
Outside Door Locks
..."Doors must be locked from outside with ignition key.  Both doors, if locked before closing, will automatically unlock when shut."
Mopar forever!

Polygon

www.lostinspaceforum.com

HeavyFuel

Quote from: 6pkrtse on February 06, 2018, 03:33:57 PM
On my 70's. I just wait for my passengers to get out. I then reach over & push down the door lock button to lock the door manually from inside. Then get out & lock my driver side door with the key from the outside.

Exactly how I do it.

LaOtto70Charger

I need to reread the owner's manual.  I always wondered why mine did that.  I also do the wait for passengers to get out and than reach over and lock.  I love that feature.  Can't lock the dumb keys in the car.  Actually with key fobs I am wonder why all modern cars aren't that way now.

dual fours

Quote from: 6pkrtse on February 06, 2018, 03:33:57 PM
Wait, I have to do just the opposite, I push down the door lock on the drivers door from inside first, then crawl over the console and out the passenger door, then lock the passenger door with the key.
Then I got smarter and took someone with me. Before I got out, I'd give them the keys and tell them to reach across and push the driver's door lock button down then lock their door with the key when they got out.
One thing for sure, they better be your friend, because it would be easy for them to lock the drivers door, jump in the drivers seat and off they go. :slap:
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

pwmcharge