News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Charger Interior- what to Restore vs Buy Reproduction?

Started by challenger70, January 08, 2018, 11:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

challenger70

I am getting ready to send interior parts to Just Dashes.  What all makes sense (based on reproduction quality/availability/restoration cost) to send out to be restored vs buying a reproduction?  I generally prefer to restore originals and don't mind paying more, but if a big price difference I would go reproduction. For example if door panels are $450 repro and just as good as restored originals for la bunch less, I would go that route. 

Things I considering are Dash Pad (probably will send to JD),  arm rests (not sure what makes sense), Upper door pads (Not sure) lower dash pads (not sure), Ash tray pad (probably will send, not sure if the slider tray is even reproduced), Door panels front and rear (not sure they are kinds big and just cardboard, I assume it makes sense to just buy new).  Any other interior parts I missed that I should consider?  I'd like to get it all done in one painful $$ shot.
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

69bfan

From my perspective I would most definitely stay away from the reproduction gauge clusters, face plates and if it is a console car, stay away from the reproduction top plates and even the console hull itself.  I would personally send the gauge cluster out to be redone.  It is expensive, but slightly less than the reproductions and you know that it will fit.  Even the reproduction kick panels and A-pillar trim have their issues.  For door panels, the reproductions from Legendary are probably the best bet.  They are slightly thicker than the originals, but finding good originals is difficult.  For the upper door pads, I would search out good used.  The reproductions do not have the distinct grain pattern.  I am just skeptical of the coverings for them and the dash pads.  From what I hear, the dash pads from ABC are ok.  Hopefully your lower dash pads are in good shape.  For seat covers, I would go with the Legendary seat covers.  They offer the best quality.  I would suggest purchasing from a Legendary vendor as they will sell to you cheaper than buying direct in most cases.  Items like arm rest bases, sill plates, sill plate extensions, window crank handles, seat belt connectors are available from a wide assortment of vendors.  Will need to check the pricing as there are different qualities found in all of these components and the prices varies greatly.  If you consider weatherstripping as the interior, I would prefer good original over the reproduction pieces.  Top Cat window felts are the best felts. 
I know that when we price out a complete interior restoration to our customers, depending upon the depth that they are wanting to go, you can easily exceed $4500.  Check around and ask questions as going the cheapest route will most probably cost more in the long run.  There is so many variables which will impact the bottom line and short cutting one area will impact the appearance of another area.  Also take into consideration that if you send out a part to be restored, you may be looking at three months to a year for the turn around on the instrument cluster and Legendary is looking at about six to seven weeks out on seat covers and door panels.  So plan accordingly.  If any specific questions, drop me a private message and I can give you my direct contact information.  Good Luck.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

challenger70

Thanks for the response, I have already done most of the hard parts, gauges, kick panels, dash frame, ect...  I am looking at stuff to send to Just dashes, mostly "soft" parts that are vinyl covered/rubber parts like dash pad, lower dash pads, arm rests, door panels.  I am mostly planning on having originals redone, unless there is a really good reproduction out there that is as good of better than getting the original refurbished.  Like the door panel is basically a piece of cardboard if it's going to get redone.  is it worth shipping it to Just dashes to recover/redo at that point?

Quote from: 69bfan on January 08, 2018, 08:34:10 PM
From my perspective I would most definitely stay away from the reproduction gauge clusters, face plates and if it is a console car, stay away from the reproduction top plates and even the console hull itself.  I would personally send the gauge cluster out to be redone.  It is expensive, but slightly less than the reproductions and you know that it will fit.  Even the reproduction kick panels and A-pillar trim have their issues.  For door panels, the reproductions from Legendary are probably the best bet.  They are slightly thicker than the originals, but finding good originals is difficult.  For the upper door pads, I would search out good used.  The reproductions do not have the distinct grain pattern.  I am just skeptical of the coverings for them and the dash pads.  From what I hear, the dash pads from ABC are ok.  Hopefully your lower dash pads are in good shape.  For seat covers, I would go with the Legendary seat covers.  They offer the best quality.  I would suggest purchasing from a Legendary vendor as they will sell to you cheaper than buying direct in most cases.  Items like arm rest bases, sill plates, sill plate extensions, window crank handles, seat belt connectors are available from a wide assortment of vendors.  Will need to check the pricing as there are different qualities found in all of these components and the prices varies greatly.  If you consider weatherstripping as the interior, I would prefer good original over the reproduction pieces.  Top Cat window felts are the best felts. 
I know that when we price out a complete interior restoration to our customers, depending upon the depth that they are wanting to go, you can easily exceed $4500.  Check around and ask questions as going the cheapest route will most probably cost more in the long run.  There is so many variables which will impact the bottom line and short cutting one area will impact the appearance of another area.  Also take into consideration that if you send out a part to be restored, you may be looking at three months to a year for the turn around on the instrument cluster and Legendary is looking at about six to seven weeks out on seat covers and door panels.  So plan accordingly.  If any specific questions, drop me a private message and I can give you my direct contact information.  Good Luck.
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger