News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Charger Headlight Motor Headlight Relay Upgrade Question

Started by pipeliner, January 09, 2018, 09:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pipeliner

Did the upgrade on my car and was wanting to ask some questions before I hook it up because it's a new rebuild to the HL motor.  I checked the headlight motor plug in with a test light. Key off, no power to the plug in, turn key on, power to the plug in and then turned my headlights on and the power went back off. Just trying to figure out if that's how it's suppose to work or not. I double checked everything and it's wired up correct. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

nvrbdn

Basically you will have power to one side of the 2 wire plug when the switch is off, closing the headlight doors. When the switch is turned on it switches power to the other wire which will open the headlight doors.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

pipeliner

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 09, 2018, 11:47:36 PM
Basically you will have power to one side of the 2 wire plug when the switch is off, closing the headlight doors. When the switch is turned on it switches power to the other wire which will open the headlight doors.
Didnt even think to check that lol. Thanks!

Nacho-RT74

The HL Motor relay just gets power from RUN circuit, so needs to be with Ign switch on RUN ( ign 1 ) to work, either to open or close the doors

From there, it keeps powered the HL doors motor. Using Bosch relay, when in rest position ( trigger off from HL switch at 86 terminal ), the terminal 30 ( from breaker/RUN circuit, blue wire ) keeps linked to the 87a terminal and must be used to feed motor wire to the closed position and points on gears inside the motor is what cuts off the power once is closed. Wire keeps hot, but motor already cut.

When HL switch gets the lights on this signal also triggers the motor relay at 86 terminal ( green wire ) the 30 prong switches to feed the 87 terminal, using this terminal then to feed motor in the other direction to open. Motor opens and cuts the wire up to the stop tab inside. This wire keeps hot like on the previous stage on the other wire but motor already cut the points inside once got the upper position.

85 terminal goes to ground

I hope this is clear.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html