News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Original Bullitt Mustang kept in hiding revealed.

Started by 375instroke, January 15, 2018, 01:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trulyvintage

Dreamcar

I wonder what inspired the owner more to reveal the car right now:

- The fact the other original Bullitt was found in Mexico last year (therefore he no longer has the only one);
- $ from Ford to have it at the show with the new 2019 Bullitt edition;
- All of the above.

It would be nice to see both survivors side by side, even though the Mexico Bullitt is only a shell.

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

375instroke

c00nhunterjoe

I presume that as the story goes, after the father died and the son gained ownership, it took a little time to get it roadworthy again. While he says it is not for sale, when a million dollar check is waived in his face, i bet it gets sold within the next 6 months.

JB400

I wouldn't restore it right now.  It has great patina.

Trulyvintage

My bet is - if at auction it would bring more than 5 million.

It is the Definitive Movie Muscle Car.

There is only one.

Jim

TPR

Just catching up on this story now. I can understand why it was kept hidden.
Pretty remarkable.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

BrianShaughnessy

So the big mystery wasn't a mystery after all...  it's location has been known for a long time. :scratchchin:   It's a nice story and all but I dunno why the father wouldn't have sold it to Steve McQueen when he had a chance?     Obviously couldn't or didn't want to pay for a clutch and if it was such a gas hog then why didn't he switch out the 4.10s ?   

My guess is that you'll see it at the next big B-J auction.... after the contract with ford runs out....   :Twocents:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Troy

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 15, 2018, 12:51:15 PM
I presume that as the story goes, after the father died and the son gained ownership, it took a little time to get it roadworthy again. While he says it is not for sale, when a million dollar check is waived in his face, i bet it gets sold within the next 6 months.
Haha, a million won't come close... :P

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Aero426

Quote from: Troy on January 16, 2018, 11:09:12 AM

Troy

He's kept the car hidden on purpose for so long.   It's part of the family.   What do you replace it with? 

JB400

It's single handedly the most desirable Mustang ever.  Even more so than any Shelby.  You can't put a number on it.

Troy

Quote from: Aero426 on January 16, 2018, 12:46:37 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 16, 2018, 11:09:12 AM

Troy

He's kept the car hidden on purpose for so long.   It's part of the family.   What do you replace it with? 

Quote from: JB400 on January 16, 2018, 06:09:00 PM
It's single handedly the most desirable Mustang ever.  Even more so than any Shelby.  You can't put a number on it.
In the first article, Hagerty claims it could be worth upwards of $4 million. Considering they can't afford to restore it (and seriously, Mustangs aren't expensive to restore - especially compared to Chargers!), I don't think they can fork over the cash to insure it at that amount. I'm assuming Ford covered it for the show but what happens when they drag it back home and park it in the family garage? They could have kept it in obscurity and not had to worry about the financial ramifications. What would be the point in "reaching out" to Ford unless they were aware of some of the other recent "barn finds" and the uptick in value after all the publicity? I imagine the father had an idea of what would happen after going public and may be why he never did it.

On the flip side, I bet they could make enough on "appearance fees" to restore it a few times!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Trulyvintage

This is one car that should never be restored.

It should be preserved just as it sits.

If you want a newer Bullitt Mustang - buy a 2008 Tribute Car.

I hauled one a few years ago.

Jim

Mike DC

QuoteOn the flip side, I bet they could make enough on "appearance fees" to restore it a few times!

They could offer to let people drive it (well supervised) for a few thousand bucks a pop.  Problem solved. 

Aero426

Quote from: Trulyvintage on January 16, 2018, 11:24:24 PM
This is one car that should never be restored.

It should be preserved just as it sits.

The intrinsic value of this car is in how it remains today.    Making it perfect is arguably harmful. 

Aero426

Quote from: JB400 on January 16, 2018, 06:09:00 PM

This is the automotive version of Paul Newman's Rolex which recently sold.   Only better.   

Mike DC

QuoteThe intrinsic value of this car is in how it remains today.    Making it perfect is arguably harmful.

That is why it's good that the family held onto it so long.  If it had hit the market 15 years ago there is no way in hell it would have been left unrestored.  The hobby had to make unrestored cars rare before they began seeing any value in them.

Aero426

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 18, 2018, 06:49:48 PM
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/01/17/ford-introduces-2019-bullitt-mustang-alongside-long-hidden-1968-original/?refer=musweekly

Being somewhat cynical,  I have to say the manner of unveiling of the car coinciding (ta-daaaaaa!) with the Detroit Auto Show is by far, the least cool part of the whole thing.    It's inorganic and scripted.  I do love the car and love the story.   

ECS

Quote from: Trulyvintage on January 15, 2018, 10:31:01 PM

There is only one.

It's not the same car or it has had work done to it to look like it a weathered car.  Compare the photo from the 1968 Movie.  It has dents along the hood and its molding.  Now look at the car that been disclosed as the "exact" car that came from the movie.  No dents!

TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

Aero426

There were two cars used for filming.    One performed the majority of the stunts.   The other car (this one) was the beauty shot car. 

ECS

Quote from: Aero426 on January 19, 2018, 03:23:21 PM
There were two cars used for filming.    One performed the majority of the stunts.   The other car (this one) was the beauty shot car.  

The other car was supposedly found in Mexico.  This was the car deemed as the "exact" same car to used in the movie.  For the record, that front end shot is PRIOR to the chase scene so there wasn't any damage from the chase.  Now it's being "disclosed" that the car was "redone" by Warner Brothers prior to him getting the car.  Chrome rocket panels have been added as well.  They claimed this was the "exact" used in all the "hero" scenes and "original" to 1968 but refurbished by Warner Brothers.

ECS

Quote from: Aero426 on January 19, 2018, 03:23:21 PM
There were two cars used for filming.    One performed the majority of the stunts.   The other car (this one) was the beauty shot car. 

That makes sense but appearance the "hero" car was being used for the practice chase scenes.  You can see that the hood & molding is not bent up in the practice runs.  It would be nice if the vehicle that was restored, was documented prior to restoration.  That would clear up a lot.  It's one or the other since there were only two cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qd6yirl2dg